PDA

View Full Version : Rollcage! - whatz the go?

SINISTR
01-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on what is required when building a rollcage?

any idea who does it in Perth.WA?

im trying to gain some info and costs for the new race CRX :)

VT3C
01-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Quoted $800 for bolt-in CAMS approved Cage from GO-Gear in Osb. Park.

SINISTR
01-08-2005, 01:49 PM
thats not too bad... thats half cage isn't it?

VT3C
01-08-2005, 01:53 PM
nah man is full cage.. main loop, sides and front loop.. plus you can 'add' to it..

I was amazed at the price.. basically TEAM VTEChnique 'only' needs about $3,000 to bring a chassis to Competition safety spec.. well that's for Rally Competition anyway..

welded-in cage is a little more, but they cannot install the kits.. they only provide them.. but a bolt-in cage would be prety easy and I dont see why with a little modification you couldnt weld-in the bolt-in item..

SINISTR
01-08-2005, 02:02 PM
kewl!

that would be for an EG wouldn't it tho?

wander if gen1 crx is gonna be similar?

Steer^Gimic
01-08-2005, 02:30 PM
nice one. doesnt sound like the genone is going to another owner anytime soon. id be getting a weld in cage. is a bolt-on CAMS approved?

joyride
01-08-2005, 02:43 PM
http://www.cams.com.au/

SINISTR
01-08-2005, 02:54 PM
nice one. doesnt sound like the genone is going to another owner anytime soon. id be getting a weld in cage. is a bolt-on CAMS approved?

this isn't for GENONE - its for BANDIT *the new gen1* hehe

snowman95
01-08-2005, 06:30 PM
how many point roll cage is it?

VT3C
01-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Nah mikey that price was for EF civic hatch ;)

Was CAMS-SPEC approved for use in Club Rally events and I assume that goes for Club-Track events also like the WASCC events... however I think it needs to be welded for use in Rally Australia as it's an FIA event.. but I dont think we'll be in Rally australia just yet 8)

but as a ballpark, a full-on welded in cage (supplied as a kit) is 'only' like $1200.

at THAT price, I am keen to get a bolt-in cage for my EG for street use but am not sure of the legalities.. we're looking into this further along with CAMS regulations.. will keep you posted.

VT3C
01-08-2005, 06:36 PM
this isn't for GENONE - its for BANDIT *the new gen1* hehe

not sure how many 'points' it was Ken, but I think it was:

- one main loop (over driver's head).
- Front loop (top of windscreen).
- Main loop (to front loop side bars).
- Main loop to Rear points.
- Side top to conect loops (Ithink).

Steer^Gimic
01-08-2005, 06:41 PM
http://www.cams.com.au/

thankyou, i could have done that myself.
if everyone quoted everyone obvious links then there would be no use for forums would there?

furiou5
02-08-2005, 01:21 AM
while were on the topic of roll cages, are you legaly alowed to drive round with them in you car.

Cos i want one of those racing harness' and my mate said they have to anchored to a bar going across the back. I think im waffling shit

SINISTR
02-08-2005, 09:28 AM
I read 'somewhere' on the CAMS website (fk that site is hard to navigate) that if you have a Harness installed it has to be certified by the road technical section... that would be for race purposes.

But in reality - i think something like that should be done for street use anyway - for the drivers/passengers own safety anyway...

02-08-2005, 09:47 AM
The $2500 to $3000 roll cages are Chromoly cages and not mild steel like the bond roll bars ones. If you just want something basic that will do the job then the cheaper $800 to $1200 cage will do fine.. Just remember you get what you pay for. :thumbsup:

SINISTR
02-08-2005, 10:15 AM
i think this is a great pic to describe the number of 'points' for roll cages (found at CUSCO.CO.JP)

http://www.cusco.co.jp/english/e_media3/e_r21_li.gif

SINISTR
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
The $2500 to $3000 roll cages are Chromoly cages and not mild steel like the bond roll bars ones. If you just want something basic that will do the job then the cheaper $800 to $1200 cage will do fine.. Just remember you get what you pay for. :thumbsup:

yeah - same as racing seats :cool:

I think it depends on the application. In normal street conditions cars aren't equipped with any rollcages - so adding even just the basic rollcage would help safety marginally.

For competition motorkhana, hill climbs, classic rally etc - a more advanced rollcage system would need to be used - more in the vicinity of $1500-$2000.

For propper race application as does 'ONLINE CRX' - a fully done rollcage is needed as it wouldn't pass scrutineering - especially at 9second passes :)

LOVE the ONLINE GEN3 CRX :))))) keep it up!!!

Civic Type R
02-08-2005, 11:34 AM
TEAM VTEChnique 'only' needs about $3,000 to bring a chassis to Competition safety spec.. well that's for Rally Competition anyway..

WTF :confused:

Civic Type R
02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Mikey, speak to JME, [EXPLICIT] from PerthWRX and PPCC about this.
He has done this with his WRX and knows everything about what you are intending to do.

SINISTR
02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Sweet! thanks dude!!!

Captiva_Blue
02-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Cos i want one of those racing harness' and my mate said they have to anchored to a bar going across the back. I think im waffling shit

To put a 4+ point harness in a car you need to anchor the ends of the shoulder straps somewhere near the base of the rear seat and have a bar mounted btwn the B pillars for the shoulder straps to run over instead of just having them running from their mounting point through the seat back. If this isn't done you will more than likely break both your collar bones in even a moderate crash. JFYI, it's not legal to use a racing harness when driving on the street..

Captiva_Blue
02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Are welded in cages legal for street use or only bolt in ones. I've heard that cages are only legal for the street if they don't have side intrusion beams, are bolt in type and have 6 points or less (somthing about restricting rear vision with the cross brace like the one added in the 7 point cage in SINISTR's post..)

VT3C
02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
According to that CUSCO diagram, the cage I was quoted on was a 6-point.

WTF :confused:

We are toying with the idea of building a Rally car for use in WA state Rally Trials. For the class, to be CAMS compliant in order to compete, we need about $3000 to cover saftey essentials such as fire-extinguishers, fixed race seats, roll-cage, helmets, nav-computer etc.

That figure, as I said, would cover the safety requirements but would obviously not address suspension, motor, tyres and rims etc. nor the initial purchase price of the car and licensing requirements.

ONLINE: our needs were only to meet CAMS Rally requirements, obviously sub-10 second Drag cars would need something a lot more serious... we cant afford to build a sub 10-second drag car but if we could, $3000 for a serious cage would not be an issue I imagine.

snowman95
02-08-2005, 08:20 PM
keep hondas on the track :D

also with race harnesses, i would be careful that they are being used properly. I have read stories with people hitting their head on the steering wheel after not having their harness not properly fitted (no airbags too) and another guy snapping their neck (no helmet, was on the street).

SlobberGoat
02-08-2005, 11:14 PM
I quite like the autopower crx cages myself, but am unsure whether they do a RHD model for us aussies...

http://hondatuningmagazine.com/features/0306ht_crx05_z.jpg

03-08-2005, 07:14 AM
ONLINE: our needs were only to meet CAMS Rally requirements, obviously sub-10 second Drag cars would need something a lot more serious... we cant afford to build a sub 10-second drag car but if we could, $3000 for a serious cage would not be an issue I imagine.

A cams rally, circuit or Andra Drag racing.. it's all the same.. that $2500 to $3000 is because of the material you use to build it.. Bond Roll bars do a Alloy and steel cage for quite cheap.. my 9sec Del Sol's cage would be more like $30,000. :thumbsup:

blackdc2
03-08-2005, 08:57 AM
A cams rally, circuit or Andra Drag racing.. it's all the same.. that $2500 to $3000 is because of the material you use to build it.. Bond Roll bars do a Alloy and steel cage for quite cheap.. my 9sec Del Sol's cage would be more like $30,000. :thumbsup:

So do we know if it is legal to run a cage on the street?

Do you know if we require an engineer’s certificate?

Thanks

weezer
03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
In Melb its legal. Here are the specifications it has to meet:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/vsi%2028.pdf

SINISTR
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
there are actually two types of 'roll' bars - as seen here http://www.autopowerindustries.com/

Roll Bars - which run behind the seats
Roll Cages - which is an actual cage

Not too espensive either... but as [SloberGoat] said - depends if they make a RHD version.

I don't see why they would be illegal if they are built to specifications??

ekslut
03-08-2005, 09:50 AM
keep hondas on the track :D

also with race harnesses, i would be careful that they are being used properly. I have read stories with people hitting their head on the steering wheel after not having their harness not properly fitted (no airbags too) and another guy snapping their neck (no helmet, was on the street).

Thats why if you are going to run harnesses, make sure they are good ones. I had a cheap one and it felt like I could slip though it. It felt like if I had a accident my shoulders would just dislocate and I would go though the window. I now run takata harnesses, and feel extremly safe in them :thumbsup:

SINISTR
03-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Thats why if you are going to run harnesses, make sure they are good ones. I had a cheap one and it felt like I could slip though it. It felt like if I had a accident my shoulders would just dislocate and I would go though the window. I now run takata harnesses, and feel extremly safe in them :thumbsup:

See - I'd never put a harness in myself tho. Even if its a good quality brand one.

I'd pay the money and have it engineere certified. CAMS actually require that there is a beam located in the back of the car - that the harness is attached to and secure.

Not sure how you have yours setup - but I think a couple of bolts in the back might not be safe - as I've seen in some cars before.

SINISTR
03-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Woohoo - AUTOPOWER make them for the 84 CRXs :)

ekslut
03-08-2005, 10:23 AM
See - I'd never put a harness in myself tho. Even if its a good quality brand one.

I'd pay the money and have it engineere certified. CAMS actually require that there is a beam located in the back of the car - that the harness is attached to and secure.

Not sure how you have yours setup - but I think a couple of bolts in the back might not be safe - as I've seen in some cars before.

I actually have a bar in the back that they run over, and I ran this setup for a while on my EK4 on the street. But I am in the process of looking for a full rollcage to put into my current car, the civic ED6.

SINISTR
03-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I actually have a bar in the back that they run over, and I ran this setup for a while on my EK4 on the street. But I am in the process of looking for a full rollcage to put into my current car, the civic ED6.

Very Smart :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A bar is whats needed!!!

Kawasaki
03-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Are full roll cages legal in NSW?

joyride
03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
for NSW some are legal but you need an engineer to look over it if its cusom made.
full roll cages have to have foam covering the cage and also at the front, the cage has to go inside the dash, not wrap around the dash like jap spec ones....theres more to it

Kawasaki
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
for NSW some are legal but you need an engineer to look over it if its cusom made.
full roll cages have to have foam covering the cage and also at the front, the cage has to go inside the dash, not wrap around the dash like jap spec ones....theres more to it

Ahhh k

I knew half cages were legal but i didnt know the rest, apart from engineers cert.