PDA

View Full Version : Not Right??

tegstar83
01-08-2005, 04:35 PM
I was looking at my subs the other day cause one of them was splutterring and I noticed that one sub was moving way more than the other and was wondering why this was happenning any ideas?? :confused:

mugeneration
01-08-2005, 05:08 PM
you may have blown one, or one may not be tuned the same as the other. (my guess is it may have blown because it wasnt tuned the same). If you say it was spluttering, most likely blown. Looks like youll have to dish out for another one, and maybe re tune them might be an idea too? lol

jared
01-08-2005, 05:33 PM
yeh say its blown happened to me...had two subs and one was vibratring more turns out it was blown and also check your settings on your head unit and amp...gain may hav somethin to do with this...or wiring is out of phase or crossed with some of your other wires...one sub would be sendin good quality the other totally well lets say screwed...wouldnt be bassy at all...so yeh like mugeneration said ditch it or take it in and get it checked

tegstar83
01-08-2005, 06:17 PM
there both running of the same amp its a two channel mono block amp i did check the wiring and made sure they where correctly in phase and all ie +& - correctly, but it was doing it b4 i tuned it properly but it still moves more than the other one and as I said b4 I was told that that shouldnt be the case with the subs that they should barely move, also if its blown can it be repaired??

mugeneration
01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Umm not sure if it can be repaired. Most subs are getting pretty cheap nowdays, just buy a new one.

tegstar83
01-08-2005, 06:28 PM
its mtx 8000 series still not cheap

jared
01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
when a sub is blown it is the coils or the cone usually pretty sure it cant be repaired if under warranty may be able to get a new one back or u might hav to get a new one..not doin ya settings beforehand will hav nothin to do wif it...the only other thing i can think of is that it might be one of your rca leads, ground wire or a problem with your rca input plug in your headunit, go to starthfield and theyc an hav a look for free..or the other thing is by a new one which is what u dont want to hear

Captiva_Blue
01-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Sounds like the sub is blown to me, check how much excursion the sub has and if it exceeds what the specs say it should, it's definitely stuffed.. there's the chance it can be repaired with a new coil and a re-coning kit if the gap hasn't been filled with the remnants of the original coil as it disintegrates but that would probably be more expensive than buying a new sub.. the MTX 8000 is metal coned right? That's what will really hurt the hip pocket..

tegstar83
02-08-2005, 03:29 PM
well when i look at both subs going one is going farther out than the other one. It looks like its virabrating way more than the other one

euro1978
04-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Total Recoil in Melbourne (if he is still around) repairs all subs.

tegstar83
04-08-2005, 04:47 PM
thanks for that, do u have his contact details so that I can get in touch with him?

euro1978
04-08-2005, 05:07 PM
sorry cant help you there as i hung up my stereo boots many moons ago.

Google is your friend.