PDA

View Full Version : Airbagging a civic

mugeneration
01-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, as the topic suggests, Im thinking of airbagging my civic. First of all, I'll tell you all that I drive a Gli with a SOHC non vtec engine. Its a sedan and will NEVER go fast. Im not looking to put performance mods on this car. (That's for my next car! ;) ) Im just wondering at about how much I'm looking at spending, legalities, how well it works and any suggestions?

Tu88y
01-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I know a guy who had one installed in his VN commodore which cost him about 6k...

So somewhere around that mark

mugeneration
01-08-2005, 06:48 PM
wow that much? I was told a fair bit less than that (only a few grand), but i spose with anything you get the quality you pay for right? Does it even work very well and are the compressors noisy?

panda[cRx]
01-08-2005, 06:53 PM
a few accord owners on here have em, from memory their kits cost em around $3k

it's best to contact the RTA to be sure about the legality of it before you do anything. i have heard they are now legal in NZ so maybe that's a sign of things to come here?

mugeneration
01-08-2005, 06:57 PM
i thought they were legal in NSW? Dont spose u could spot me a linky to the rta site please? I really suck at using that site. Tried to find the thing that says you cant use neons for sum1 and couldnt find it! Best info i could find there is the same link thats in the thread in the lounge. Apparently just needs an engineers certificate?

furiou5
01-08-2005, 10:02 PM
The cheapest way to do it is order a kit from the US, and get a trusted suspension shop to fit it. Well that's the cheapest way to do it in Perth, over East a lot more shops are doin it.

By the way my cuz (Shogun) paid roughly 5g's for his fitted and there pretty cool to mess around with.

Air cylinders are fine to drive about with, but i think full air bags are illegal, dont quote me its one or the other

anna1984
01-08-2005, 10:38 PM
yeh i thought they were round 3k mark too..

furiou5: [shogun] is a very nicee car, was looking good at last years final battle

Tu88y
01-08-2005, 10:59 PM
From what I heard they are legal in NSW as long as you get a cert for it....

vtek
01-08-2005, 11:17 PM
go to http://www.tubularsuspensionsystems.com/ they Advertise prices starting from $1800 but thier kits are 3400++ uninstalled and yeh aparently they can get them engineered etc to be legal.

furiou5
02-08-2005, 01:06 AM
Yer but like i was saying when i helped look for kits with my cousin, prices can range from fairly decent to ridiculously expensive.

There are a lot of kits full of different parts with different combinations. Like you can get some thing fairly basic, up down. or even better front back side to side, to individial corner controls. Plus the compressor in the back will allow you to hit the bags for longer, stuff like that should be put into consideration.

Something cool i've just seen is using something like a playstation controller and it can be wireless so you can be standing back from your car no wires and bounce it.

Denchy
02-08-2005, 08:22 AM
i hear the air cylinders are the best for the smaller cars... fast filling and good for FBSS

mugeneration
02-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Yeah FBSS is mainly what I want to get going well. By the looks of the prices said above, over $6 grand, looks like i should think of getting a new car instead! lol

Denchy
02-08-2005, 09:29 AM
my boss just got the new Landrover Discovery and it has air bags pretty cool but its only a up or down setup considering the DOT up here in QLD says you cannot vary ride hight in motion but with the discovery once you hit 50 it drops a few inches to creat less resistance.

sweet to ride in too :)

DannyB
02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
TThe guys here in newcastle at Eastside Custom Trim install Airbags, with full engineering tickets the works, if i recall correctly it started out being $10 Large for mini trucks but that was ages ago so it's more than likely dropped in price.

Mr. Focus
02-08-2005, 12:07 PM
you'll find too, in QLD that if your car is slammed, even when parked you'll be copping a ticket! c-notching and stepnotching are illegal in qld too. if your car comes out standard with cylinders/bags then you're fine.

jackosimm
02-08-2005, 12:13 PM
If I remember correctly some old old holden utes came with them?

Mr. Focus
02-08-2005, 12:17 PM
not just utes cme with them. im pretty sure some kingswoods did too. not too sure tho. my mates dads car had them and when they turned off the engine it dropped. it also had a manual over-ride switch in the boot

Mikeyas
02-08-2005, 12:19 PM
""" c-notching and stepnotching are illegal in qld too."""

im lost... could you further explain "c-notching and stepnotching" heh

Mr. Focus
02-08-2005, 12:33 PM
c-notching and step notching are done to make the car drop lower. a c-notch is cut into the chassis (sometimes welded in] and a step notch is welded onto the chassis. both are very similar, but illegal due to changing the characteristics of the chassis

c-notch:
http://www.blazinlow.com/tech/cnotch/images/DSC00184.jpg
Step notch:
http://www.act-one.org/Donald/Tacoma/old_pics/notch_3.jpg

Lyle_Style
02-08-2005, 07:35 PM
my mate does them who does work for burning customs
4k for a complete setuips
cylinders/struts/bags which ever

mugeneration
02-08-2005, 07:55 PM
my mate does them who does work for burning customs
4k for a complete setuips
cylinders/struts/bags which ever

Very good quality? Are they FBSS?

traNce_gl
02-08-2005, 09:31 PM
For the person who got air bags for 6 grand he got ripped of hars

Mugeneration u can a decent kit under 3,500 anyfin over it dont bother

Do u want air bags or air cylinders...?

They both the same but air bags are moslty suited for truks...But they have made bolt on kits for cars

I have air cylinders myself im happy with it...rides bumpy but that the price to pay ..

Burnin is the palce to go man ..But they dont install them i dont think ..well at the old shop they diddent they moved so im not sure. and u prolly need a eginner certificate aswell so it all adds up

mugeneration
02-08-2005, 09:48 PM
well if i was to get them then Id go with whatever pumps faster i suppose, which from what i hear is the cylinders. I know that theyre faster and obviously less prone to puncture etc than airbags, but what drawbacks do they have besides price and ride quality?

furiou5
03-08-2005, 01:32 AM
since were adding cars that had bags as standard, Old soarers have them too

traNce_gl
03-08-2005, 02:03 AM
there not much draw back..just air cylinders are prolly a tad ruffer ride then air bags so yer

DNYALL
03-08-2005, 07:56 PM
5K in and out at loco lowriders in melbourne, quoted by friend who works there.

SCRAPN
04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
ha ha just read this thread and its scary, so many people with little to no exprience of what they are talkin about except for zoran, please if you want more info contact
burnin customs directly or airride in melbourne both companys know their products better then anyone, and the kits are fairly easy to install took me one and a half days to do, they majority of the cost paid for an air suspension setup goes towards labour not the actual product....

please people avoid tubular suspension... rip off.

those c notch pics are scary, thats really poor welding in the first picture.

any questions about air ride feel free to pm me.