PDA

View Full Version : installing shift linkage

gelo
01-08-2005, 06:53 PM
hey guys

just got a question for those that are using type R/spoon shift linkages

how hard is it to install the linkages and how long does it take
i tried 2 ask the ppl at honda service and they wouldnt give me a straight answer, meaning they dunno

im sure theres somone here who has the type R linkage
wondering how they did it

type one
01-08-2005, 06:57 PM
to get the old linkage out and the new one in it requires some brute force and patience. It is not a simple unbolt and re-attach job.

having said that, you obviously need a hoist and the right tools (ie a hammer hahaha). while you're at it, may as well change the shift linkage bushings as well... they also a bitch if you don't know what you doing...on the b series the bushing which looks like a bowtie is a pain.

gelo
01-08-2005, 08:03 PM
ive got the ek9 complete shift linakge with bushings
i dont plan to do it myself at all as i dont have the tools or knowledge

i was gonna take it to honda to so it as i got a $100 dollar voucher to use on a service
they say they charge $100 per hour for labour
but they cant tell me how long this is gonna take
surely it wont take qualified honda technicians over an hour to change the shift linkage?

ECU-MAN
01-08-2005, 10:35 PM
did one on the weekend

took me half an hour jacked up on the floor, piece of cake :)

ekslut
01-08-2005, 10:43 PM
yeah, it aint a big job if you have the right tools. 1/2 - 1 hour

VT3C
02-08-2005, 05:05 PM
yeah took about half an hour to do it.. the hardest part is getting the old pin out and getting the new one in wasnt any better.

But yeah is VER"Y easy, u just need the usual sockets and a hammer and perhaps a punch-driver thinghy.

you'll be sooooo happy when you finish the install is soooo much better !!

gelo
02-08-2005, 05:36 PM
i spose the ppl at honda should do it in no longer than half an hour then

VT3C
02-08-2005, 05:45 PM
$200 an hour is FKN expensive !! I'd try a different HONDA Dealership..

it SHOULD only take a Dealer 30 mins to install it, but man I dont trust some of them.

Perry
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
just take it to a menchanic to do it cheaper ill say honda dealers they sumtimes take 1/2 hr and sumtimes more depends in the persons whos doing it

BlitZ
03-08-2005, 04:56 PM
It will take u 1/2 hour...
but would take a honda service mechanic 2 hours..

freakin they take forever ****witin around

BlitZ
03-08-2005, 05:00 PM
And one more thing what the difference in the shift linkages?? didnt know there was a difference... is it lighter or somthing?

Perry
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
And one more thing what the difference in the shift linkages?? didnt know there was a difference... is it lighter or somthing?

shorter throw in diff gears i think, i mean stiffer feel in gears

BlitZ
03-08-2005, 05:33 PM
isnt the stiffness caused by the bushing at the end of the linkage...
or is the linkage designed differently.. never really seen one..

OT -hehehe heard your getting climate control dude! you didnt get the one with the large LCD screen did you?

wynode
03-08-2005, 08:00 PM
The hardest part is getting that damn spring clip out (first pic). Could you take half an hour if you don't have the right tool!

This thread on installing a short shifter (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15486&highlight=short) might help ya Angie :D

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_4977-med.jpg

And a few more pics for ya!

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_5627.jpg

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_5628.jpg

wynode
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM

OT -hehehe heard your getting climate control dude! you didnt get the one with the large LCD screen did you?
I think this was discussed a bit before and from what I recall the spoon item is a reinforced ITR linkage to make it stiffer.

Just changing your bushes should give you an improved feel!

ECU-MAN
03-08-2005, 09:58 PM

dont knock Honda techs.

:)

BlitZ
03-08-2005, 10:15 PM
dont knock Honda techs.

:)

ehheeheh its not that.... ahaha ahahah they know exactly what they are doing.. they jsut love to take their time..

And they also like to queue you up and make u wait..

All this is ot ejheheh

you dont need much tools.. just a socket set and a few shifters...

Oh and spring pin pointy device.,... ( i used a blunt nail)

gelo
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
thanx 4 the reponses guys
ill prob end up takign it to honda
use up my voucher

from what i know the linkage will give me a short throw as well as the 'precise feel' that u get form R cars

Perry
03-08-2005, 11:25 PM

where did u hear this from??? ehheh nah men i didnt

VTi-R Civic
05-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Doing the linkage change is a piece of cake and shouldn't take you more than 30mins-1hr.

Only difference I could see between the type-r linkage and my oem vti-r version was that the locating point for the base of the shifter was wider on the type-r linkage (so you can't fit a type-r shifter like my C's shifter onto and OEM aussie linkage because the Aus linkage is too narrow).

I don't know if it is lighter but everything else seems identical when comparing the OEM Australian Vti-R linkage and the type-r linkage.

I still have a little play in my shifter after the c's shifter and type-r linkage but I think that is caused by the rubber bushings in the linkage.

Good luck.

VT3C
05-08-2005, 02:57 PM

makes the shift throw and feel IDENTICAL to driving a type R.

BlitZ
05-08-2005, 04:06 PM
There arent that many here that has experienced the type r shifter throw in a civic .....

Thats a very hard call isnt it..

An integra will be different.....

eg. The shifter throw in a del sol crx is different to a civic vtir cause its a different car..

The length of throw is in respect to how low the stick sits .. unless the type are one is lower it would be the same distance...

EK9R
06-08-2005, 02:54 PM
i have an ek9r shifter in my ek4
feels good

VT3C
07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
There arent that many here that has experienced the type r shifter throw in a civic .....

Thats a very hard call isnt it..

An integra will be different.....

eg. The shifter throw in a del sol crx is different to a civic vtir cause its a different car..

The length of throw is in respect to how low the stick sits .. unless the type are one is lower it would be the same distance...

Well I have B16A in my EG5 and having driven Type R's before and after installing the linkages, to me it feels IDENTICAL to SHIFTING in a DC2-R.

I am refering to shift feel, gear-throw length and directness. I was nothing short of amazed at the improvement.. and as I said, to me it made the shift IDENTICAL to a DC2-R. Everyone that has driven my car since and felt the shift would sure agree. Leo has got a standing order over here for about 3 sets of linkages HAHAH

gelo
19-08-2005, 04:01 PM

ok
just took the whole linkage to dealer to ask them personally how long it will tkae to install
and guess wot they said
MINIMUM 1.5 hrs!

now
is there something wrong here when ppl are ssaying it takes 30 mins to install
im talking about the complete linkage not just the short shifter

anyway
i say screw honda
is there anyone out there that has done it themselves or someplace they know?

if you did it urself
ill pay 4 ur labour

any takers?

ekslut
19-08-2005, 04:07 PM
yeah, but dealers want money out of you. It is a half hour installation, but they will say min 1.5 so they can charge you 2 hours. Doubt they would bother doing it if they were only getting paid for half a hour of work

ECU-MAN
19-08-2005, 05:37 PM
I can do the whole linkage in 10 min

short shifter in half an hour.

takes me more time to Jack the car up.

ok
just took the whole linkage to dealer to ask them personally how long it will tkae to install
and guess wot they said
MINIMUM 1.5 hrs!

now
is there something wrong here when ppl are ssaying it takes 30 mins to install
im talking about the complete linkage not just the short shifter

anyway
i say screw honda
is there anyone out there that has done it themselves or someplace they know?

if you did it urself
ill pay 4 ur labour

any takers?

wynode
19-08-2005, 05:57 PM
ur just a freak John

gelo
19-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I can do the whole linkage in 10 min

short shifter in half an hour.

takes me more time to Jack the car up.

are u in sydney
u wanna help a brother out?
ill pay ya

ECU-MAN
20-08-2005, 12:47 AM
are u in sydney
u wanna help a brother out?
ill pay ya

would if I could

but im in SA :)

Bowzer
20-08-2005, 12:52 AM
just a tip, use wd40 on the pin it will help it slide out with less friction

gelo
26-09-2005, 03:15 PM
hey guys
just got my type R linkage installed this arvo
props to andrew (vti-r civic) for helping me out

now somethign has been bugging the both of us

when we removed the stock ek4 linkage out
we found that the round bushes where missing
for those that don't understand, check out the shift linkage bush kit spoon has
it consists of a bracket bush and 2 round bushes

my two round ones are missing
according to andrew his was there when he removed them
rang up honda wanting to buy new ones
and they said they dont have them, as in they dont sell them

whats going on!

VTi-R Civic
27-09-2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.spoon.jp/jp/products/images/lineup/608_01.jpg

If you are referring to this pic gelo, the two circular rubbers are for the front shift rod if I recall.

Guys, the bushings/rubbers in question mount at the top of the pivot at the rear of the shift rod (between the body and rectangular pivot in the pic above). I figure it is a damper for vibaration. Can anyone shed some light here?

gelo
27-09-2005, 10:14 AM
http://www.spoon.jp/jp/products/images/lineup/608_01.jpg

If you are referring to this pic gelo, the two circular rubbers are for the front shift rod if I recall.

Guys, the bushings/rubbers in question mount at the top of the pivot at the rear of the shift rod (between the body and rectangular pivot in the pic above). I figure it is a damper for vibaration. Can anyone shed some light here?

i think you are right
because i get this slight metal vibrating noise when i drive
i was wondering wot the hell it was

rosso
27-09-2005, 11:05 AM
it takes at least 15minutes to take out...putting back in should be another 15 minutes...unless they slackers :D

VTi-R Civic
27-09-2005, 12:46 PM
it takes at least 15minutes to take out...putting back in should be another 15 minutes...unless they slackers :D

Did you read the last few posts? :D

gelo, if it isn't possible to get OEM ones it wouldn't be too hard to substitute something - they are just a basic rubber insulator/bush. Main thing would be to not go too thick. I can see if I can find something on the weekend and let you know if you want. :)