PDA

View Full Version : [EURO] Fuel gauge

ant234
02-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Did some long trips in the past 1 1/2 weeks... Anyone realise something weird is happening to their fuel gauge?

From full tank to middle, I can travel 400km, from middle to low fuel light turns on, i can do 200... Why is there such a big difference? anyone else experienced it in long trips? I thought I could do ~780km from the first half tank, but obviously not and nearly bloody ran out of petrol because of this!!!

yfin
02-08-2005, 01:35 PM
it is a buffer zone. When low fuel light comes on there is well over 10 litres left - probably closer to 15 litres.

So your half way reading of 400kms is right and to empty (real empty) is around 800kms.

You can get 780kms on a tank (6mt at least)- but you need to be fairly conservative with the accelerator pedal and revs. It also depends on the speed you are travelling. Over 110kph on steady cruise it is hard to achieve better than 8 litres per 100km.

You really need to be at that 90kph or 100kph mark to get the great figures (under 8l/100) - that is my experience anyway.

ant234
02-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the reply...

Even with the additional 10l buffer, its still way off compare to the first half tank... by as much as 100km.. hmmm

And yes thats in a 110km/h cruise from Melb to Canberra... so worried of running out of fuel I was about to turn back to Yaas to fill up :D

leungie
02-08-2005, 01:59 PM
shit can u guys give me tips on how to get 700+ on a tank?

Either somthign is wrong with my car or I've got a seriously heavy right foot (which I dont think I have....... i THINK)

At the moment, Accord euro 04 manual, using Caltex Vortex 98, without air con and heated seats, the max i have gotten is 600kms.

Mods.... just the 18" rims with BS G3s (225 from what I recall).

HELP!!

stephen8512
02-08-2005, 02:04 PM
yeah
400 on half a tank is mad
when my needle reaches halfway, usually i only get about 300-320...
but i do mostly city driving....quite a few start/stops. i dont use AC, been run on BP Ultimate all its life. 10,000km service due this saturday.
only mod i have which can affect fuel is my CAI....
on a full tank i get about 560km.....good or bad?

yfin
02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
560km is ok for the city - terrible if that is highway figure.

To get the good figures you need to fill the car right up to the top with 98 ron - not just when the petrol station nozzle cuts out. You can sometimes get a good 3-4 litres after the nozzle cuts out by pumping very slowly.

Then you need to be driving constant highway to get 800kms out of the tank. Above 80kph in 6th gear.

Constant 90kph is going to get you the best consumption figures. Close the windows. Turn off air con. Under 7litres/100km (900km to tank) is definately possible in the right conditions.

At 100kph the consumption will increase to around 800km per tank. So if you are trying to save fuel stay well below 100kph.

Then - if you are REALLY anal about consumption don't use cruise control and try to limit throttle application as much as possible.

mcb
02-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I have been very impressed with the fuel economy of the euro.

I have been averaging 7.7 l/100k's (approx 37mpg, sorry I still think in mpg) over 8000k's. My daily comute is 55k's each way, of which 35k's is on the freeway going against the traffic flow. I have noticed the rate can change substantially from tank to tank (33 to 39 mpg), depending on how I drive. Fuel is 95RON PULP (mainly optimax).

It is interesting to think back 20-25 years ago I drove cars that where scracthing to get 20mpg (LJ 202 Torana and LH 253 Torana). I doubt that either of these cars could have out run the euro - unless all where restricted to top gear and pulling a trailer.

As a side note, when I first got the Euro I cross checked it power to the old 253 V8 (4.2 litre). The Euro make more power, but the torque is a very different story

leungie
02-08-2005, 02:56 PM
hahah i was trying that after watching top gear and they were trying to get from X to Y (return) with a single tank of fuel.

Windows/sunroof closed (aero dynamics), maximum fuel input (i did it late night due to colder weather makes the fuel more dense), no air con/heated seats, rpm limited to 2500 for me.
And I still only got 600 for the tank.. was pretty disappointed (since I was suffocating without the air con and windows down.

Maybe its just due to the city driving that I do. I'll try 90km/hr 6th gear this time then since I just filled up last night.

Suntzu
02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Mine done 2000km from new 6sp man. Im getting 8L/100 on trips sitting on 120kph.(110 highway). Im using normal 95 ron. Im using about 10 in town if I drive enthusiastically!

Im pretty happy with that. I got about nearly a litre per hundered improvement by setting correct tyre pressure also.

My fuel light come on at about 55 litres of the 65 litre tank. Seems to go a long way on the red light.

EuroAccord13
02-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Yes I do realise that the lower half of the tank seems to deliver shorter kms in it LOL... In fact, it happens to all the cars I've owned...

For those who wonder how some of us get 6-700kms a tank... Simple rules of the thumbs, accelerate gently, brake gently, use right gears (ie. 2000-2500RPM in each gear, that's what I do, except on an incline...)

Do not turn on the aircon when you don't need to, I use the fan during warm summer and heater without the aircon on during winter (but it will fog up with time)...

Leaving car in neutral while you cruise will not save you petrol, it will still pump petrol in the engine.... I rather you keep it in gear for it cuts out the fuel in that process.

VirIIx
02-08-2005, 04:01 PM
mm i get an average between 480-580km every week on my car, city driving through peak. In Sydney my daily route is:

Starting Ryde: Victoria Rd -> Anzac Bridge -> Harris Rd -> Botany Rd
Finishing Waterloo - 15km in 1 hour on avg.

Starting Waterloo: Onto Eastern Distrubutor (M1) -> Harbour Tunnel -> Gore Hill Freeway -> Epping Road -> suburban streets
Finishing Ryde - 30/35km in 30mins to 1 hr on avg.

Then on Saturdays to Chatswood and back, and any additional driving during weekday to city (to see clients and back)

So that's my 480-580 on a tank. I live on the 3 - 3.5k rpm range to keep a bit of power in traffic. So i'd say it varies from very light to heavy.

I think that's ok considering i'm in peak heaps.

Always neutral when stopped, and AC is always on.

aaronng
02-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Depending at the petrol station I pump at, the amount of petrol filled can be different by 5-8 litres even after the fullest bar on the gauge. I use 2 petrol stations, one Shell, the other Caltex. I fill at both until the pump stops itself. With Shell, I can go about 50ish km before the needle comes down to the first bar, while with the Caltex station (with its shorter nozzle) lets me go over 110km before the first bar.

I drive from Eastern suburbs, through the city to crown street, down the road to Kings Cross area, past the luxury car dealer on the right, and then to the roundabout at the end turning into the harbour tunnel.
I get off the freeway at the Willoughby exit and go past chatswood and then across rosevill bridge to my destination. Do 1 redline on the way there, and another on the way back usually.
1st gear, I shift at 3000rpm, 2nd, 3rd and 4th at 2500rpm, and staying in fifth as long as my rpm is between 1800 and 2200rpm. If I am at 70km/h or above, I use 6th gear. I get average 9.0L/100km.

Aircond always on, but I set the temperature to be comfortable so that the compressor is not on 100%, yet my windscreen doens't fog up. When cruising, or downhill, I leave it in 5th or 6th, but don't give it any gas, so that the injectors stop, using just the momentum to keep the engine spinning. And I never drive with the windows down in the interest of reducing drag.

aaronng
02-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Mine done 2000km from new 6sp man. Im getting 8L/100 on trips sitting on 120kph.(110 highway). Im using normal 95 ron. Im using about 10 in town if I drive enthusiastically!

Im pretty happy with that. I got about nearly a litre per hundered improvement by setting correct tyre pressure also.

My fuel light come on at about 55 litres of the 65 litre tank. Seems to go a long way on the red light.
Why don't you use 98 octane? I tried 98 octane, sitting at 110-120km/h on highway to canberra and got 7.08L/100km. Surely the 0.92L/100km difference is worth the extra money for 98 octane. Say if I drive from Sydney to canberra (300km), got 8L/100km on 95 octane and 7.08L/100km on 98 octane, the price difference would be ($27.34 - 25.04) = $2.30 if you use 98 instead of 95.

VirIIx
02-08-2005, 11:20 PM
mm i was watching my throttle a bit more closesly, as i'm usually on 5th gear, i do drive around 2000rpm, only when i'm on an incline i kick it down a gear so i'm around 3000rpm.

I only use shell fuel, since there's one near work in waterloo (opp. of supacenta) and there's plenty on the way home (lane cove) and a few around my area (ryde, north ryde), even to work there's the one i pass near drummoyne.

If i really have to use any other fuel, it'll be caltex preferred then bp (as there are more caltex's around)

I set my aircon and keep it at 24 degrees. That seems like a pretty good setting for me, it's warm and yet cool enough as well and you don't hear the aircon going at it ever - very rarerly.

I also looked into the spec of our cars, it says it's recommended to have 96 octane minimum. Does using ron 95 have any disadvantages besides the obvious? does it effect the feel of the car etc.. etc..

yfin
02-08-2005, 11:27 PM
I also looked into the spec of our cars, it says it's recommended to have 96 octane minimum. .

Where is that from? Premium is 95 ron which is recommended minimum for Euro.

yfin
02-08-2005, 11:29 PM
. I fill at both until the pump stops itself.

If you are aiming for most distance - you need to fill the tank to the top. When the pump stops there is heaps of capacity left. Pull the nozzle almost all the way out and pump it slowly. It might click on and off - just make sure you have the nozzle all the way out and low down.

You can easily see when the tank is full as the fuel will sit in the lip of the filler and want to come out!

EuroAccord13
02-08-2005, 11:53 PM
If you are aiming for most distance - you need to fill the tank to the top. When the pump stops there is heaps of capacity left. Pull the nozzle almost all the way out and pump it slowly. It might click on and off - just make sure you have the nozzle all the way out and low down.

You can easily see when the tank is full as the fuel will sit in the lip of the filler and want to come out!

Actually, my friend's father who manufactures fuel station pumps told me that when it clicks, fill it up until it clicks the second time then it's full, any excess will actually be spill or overflow through the overflow pipe when you start driving or take corners.....

He said putting fuel to the top of the filler will be a waste of money as they will normally be wasted off through the overflow pipe....

adammet04
03-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Auto Euro, i get about 600 - 700 ks but i drive 80 - 100 ks with the petrol light on :P yeah i live life on the edge... LOL

aaronng
03-08-2005, 12:11 AM

I tried that with my gf's astra before at a Mobil. The petrol squirted out about 0.5 meters out of the fuel inlet and down the paint as well. Hehe, so I don't do that anymore. Now I measure fuel consumption by refilling at the exact same pump twice to full tank so I can do my calculations.

ant234
03-08-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm not complaining about the fuel eff of the Euro... Sure a tank going 650+km is good... but 400km for the first half and then 250km for the second half is just plain silly... gives you a false sense of security...

Petrol station coming ahead...

- don't worry, still got half tank left! first half I made 400km, sure will get to the next town which is 350km!!

Euro dies about 20km to go to the next town...

ant234
03-08-2005, 09:29 AM
I still got abt 640km in the city (melbourne driving)... so its pretty good!

VirIIx
03-08-2005, 10:29 AM
yfin: I was browsing through redbook.com.au when doing some comparisons of some camry's with our car - coz of their poor output in power for a V6 :) and saw in the specs 96 ron in specs for euro.

When i fill up the car, it depends on the station pumps sometimes but even after the machine stops, i still give a few more clicks and you do see it get close to the top when filling it to the max.

The little need when at full, for me has only just started to drop as soon as i hit 100km roughly.

How many km's you guys find you can squeeze out when the light comes on? it does vary greatly - as i observe when i fuel up, i fuel up about 50L to 60L.

I estimate about 80km max when light goes on - dependent on driving, not that i've pushed it... after i got screwed over once in my old car :)

But i seem to be able to pull 50 to 60km from it comfortably

aaronng
03-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I think it is 8-10 litres after the light comes on. I filled about 55L once after the light came on.

V205
03-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I rang out of petrol today on the way to work (at 488km, lots of start stop driving to/fro work). Was going to pump on the way back from work today. Guess I was cutting it too fine.
Prolly not good to go for more than 50km after the warning light comes on.

nEUROtic
03-08-2005, 11:20 AM
The fuel gauge is an exponetial function haha

h22a accord
03-08-2005, 12:02 PM
ive managed to get 70km on the hwy after the fuel light came on and when i filled i couldnt get anymore than 58 litres into the tank and its a 64 litre tank.

It was on a trip to sydney from wagga. I drove to sydney to my friend which is in camperdown ( 470km) then we drove to bondi for the day, then i drove home.....i got to marulan which is 180km from sydney before i had to fill.

Im sure if i didnt flog it through the city i would have used less fuel.

Im going to see how good i can get the consumption figure when i drive to sydney this friday.

VirIIx
03-08-2005, 03:59 PM
I rang out of petrol today on the way to work (at 488km, lots of start stop driving to/fro work). Was going to pump on the way back from work today. Guess I was cutting it too fine.
Prolly not good to go for more than 50km after the warning light comes on.

Yes.. I have to agree, i keep it at 40-50km as a rule of thumb to fuel once light comes on. Obviously if you're running smoothly around it's ok to leave longer, but while in traffic - and heavy start and stoping it can really reduce that estimation.

Last time i had the light on, traffic was very heavy on the way home, and mind you i was revving it up a bit due to frustration trying to zip around and keeping a bit of power to avoid ppl cutting infront of me :wave: and i felt the car get very sluggish..

Passed a few petrol station and stopped at the Shell finally - was worried i wouldn't make it. Fueled up 57L.

So 40-50km be a safe push for light i think :)

is there an additional warning before the car dies out completely?

My old car had 2 warnings.. it had the normal light and when it came close to dying, prob 2L left it would flash rapidly.. and you'd better fuel or it dies.

coladuna
03-08-2005, 06:08 PM
The maximum distance I travelled by the time the needle reaches halfway point is around 300-320km. The distance at which the fuel warning light comes on has differred markedly. Sometimes it would be around 600km and other times it would be around 500km.
The most I travelled with fuel warning light on was around 60km. didn't want to push it any more because running out of fuel can damage the engine.

V205
03-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I was able to drive another 1-2 km after the car would feel the occasional loss of power.

Great idea! Normal light is good for around 10L and blinking light is a good warning for 2L left.. :)

is there an additional warning before the car dies out completely?

My old car had 2 warnings.. it had the normal light and when it came close to dying, prob 2L left it would flash rapidly.. and you'd better fuel or it dies.

Villainous_J
05-08-2005, 11:11 PM
my avg is 800 km on a tank (my commuting is 95% highway), can stretch out to 830 km. 900 would be on the cards if I was a bit more easy with the right foot. I'm tempted to fit bigger wheels to increase the rolling diameter to lower the rpm at highway speeds (esp @ 110 kph). would also fix the speedo inaccuracy too

Ferrarista
06-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Im a salesrep and i go to country NSW, ive got 750kms out of mine. Thats cruise control on 110kms.

Your biggest enemy in fuel cosumption is VTEC, stay off it and get great fuel millage.

jl88rl
06-08-2005, 09:35 PM
WAIT! Why would having cruise cntrl on mean more consumption !?

Yfin, Ive been doing this all the time and thought it was better ?!?!

nick_7g
12-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Sorry to revive an ancient thread. But I can get the best part of 100kms before the needle hits the full mark. How hard can it be to make a gauge accurate? I hate to invoke the man on the moon cliche.

Also, i think i worked it out that there are 12L left in the tank when the light comes on. I have pushed it to over 90km with the light before i got scared and filled up.

Also, I'd say my driving is 50/50 highway city and my consuption is consistently above 10. I do have a slightly heavy foot, but do people think wider wheels would increase consuption? Its a happy day if I hit 300kms on halfway.

clowdz
12-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Wider wheels / Underinflated tyres will increase your fuel consumption. Greater Contact Patch = Greater Friction Between Your Car and Road = Great Rolling Resistance = Greater Fuel Consumption.

yfin
12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
WAIT! Why would having cruise cntrl on mean more consumption !?

Yfin, Ive been doing this all the time and thought it was better ?!?!

In theory a human can read road conditions better than cruise control and adjust throttle more gently. Hills, corners, etc. I doubt the difference is going to be much at all - but if you want the best possible consumption (ala Top Gear running a tank dry) you need to do all the work!