PDA

View Full Version : Red "Back off Please" tailgate light.

C[H]aMeLeoN
02-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I did my fornightly trip to canberra on friday night and as per usual, I had to put up with idot tailgaters when passing trucks and other cars. Sometimes they get so close that you lose sight of them, and at 110ks+, this is bloody ignorant and dangerous.

Anyway, all rants aside, I've been thinking of installing a bright red light on the tailgate of my euro, a bit like a fog lamp that you see standard on some cars, or the red light on the back of the V8 super cars. perhaps flicking it on and off in front of the said tailgater may give them a hint to back off.

My only concern is, is something like this legal, (given of course that the light is standard on some makes)...?

SiReal
02-08-2005, 02:20 PM
I completely agree with you., All these stupid F#$kwits out there! You know what i'd like to do ideally, have like a led board where i can type messages on the back like "back off you f@#kwit" or "back the f#$K up!!!" haha..i've thought about that but thats gotta be illegal anyway. Or else i start to drive really slow to piss em off. and then take off when they try to overtake.

Oh, and I dont know about the legality of the additional tailight. sorry i couldnt help you.

C[H]aMeLeoN
02-08-2005, 02:32 PM
haha. I thought of the text display as well, but imagine cruising past a double semi with a moron a foot behind you while typing a message...

h22a accord
02-08-2005, 02:58 PM
i already have a bright red light that i switch on when i get someone tailgating me. The switch is connected to the brake pedal and you will find it comes standard on every car. You hit the brakes hard and you watch the person behind you nearly swerve off the road in order to miss you hehehehe.

or you could just get one of those laser pointers.

panda[cRx]
02-08-2005, 03:01 PM
I completely agree with you., All these stupid F#$kwits out there! You know what i'd like to do ideally, have like a led board where i can type messages on the back like "back off you f@#kwit" or "back the f#$K up!!!" haha..i've thought about that but thats gotta be illegal anyway.

some taxi's in melb used to have them, it couldnt be too hard to set up:p

h22a accord
02-08-2005, 03:09 PM
']some taxi's in melb used to have them, it couldnt be too hard to set up:p

You could also then drive past some hot chicks and then write on your screen "show us ya t*ts" or past a holden and write " eat my vtec biatch" hehehe

SiReal
02-08-2005, 03:25 PM
hahah...yes the multiple possibilities wth a LED board! Or just blind them with a camera flash...hahha....

I wouldnt brake hard just so they can swerve about. cos if they dont react, then they smack into your car....and its more troublesome to go through a claim as opposed to avoiding an accident altogether.

panda[cRx]
02-08-2005, 03:29 PM
my bro had a big spotlight kinda thing on the back of his 4wd which he could turn on with a swith. he mainly used it for camping and stuff but also the occaisional tailgater :D

back on topic obviously anything 'blindingy bright' is illegal but i don't really see much point in anything else.

how about you just move to the left lane and let them pass?

SiReal
02-08-2005, 03:38 PM
thats true panda but sometimes u just dont wanna give in to those arrogant c*ckheads thats all.

EuroAccord13
02-08-2005, 03:39 PM
General question about installing some "Extra Bright" red light or something...

Technical section it will go :)

ginganggooly
02-08-2005, 03:49 PM
i just ignore tailgaiters- getting all hot under the collar about it isn't worth it. the only time they irritate me is when the get really close when there is no opportunity for me to pull to the left to let them pass i.e. when i'm passing a group of slow vehicles.

people who hog the right hand lane piss me off no end...
i think people who have faster traffic behind them should pull to the left at the first safe opportunity. we don't need anymore guardians of public safety on the road.

z3lda
02-08-2005, 04:09 PM
step on the brakes. thats what i do with tail gaters...should see the look on thier face when tehy shit themselves.!! haha...kodak moment for shizzles!! lol

And if they ram into you its there fault and they will have a hefty bill on there hands.

its a win win situation mate.

Any flashing light is illegal. coppers will think that you are immotate them and will cop a hefty fine

ginganggooly
02-08-2005, 04:24 PM
step on the brakes. thats what i do with tail gaters...should see the look on thier face when tehy shit themselves.!! haha...kodak moment for shizzles!! lol

And if they ram into you its there fault and they will have a hefty bill on there hands.

its a win win situation mate.

Any flashing light is illegal. coppers will think that you are immotate them and will cop a hefty fine

yeah, i'd love to see the look on your face when they get out at the next set of lights and dock you. or when they drive off after ramming you. or when you find out the car was stolen and there is no insurance.

z3lda
02-08-2005, 05:01 PM
yeah, i'd love to see the look on your face when they get out at the next set of lights and dock you. or when they drive off after ramming you. or when you find out the car was stolen and there is no insurance.

ahha sif. i'd beat them down like i did to the other road raged drivers that thought thier brains were stronger then my club lock

C[H]aMeLeoN
02-08-2005, 05:13 PM
i just ignore tailgaiters- getting all hot under the collar about it isn't worth it. the only time they irritate me is when the get really close when there is no opportunity for me to pull to the left to let them pass i.e. when i'm passing a group of slow vehicles.

people who hog the right hand lane piss me off no end...
i think people who have faster traffic behind them should pull to the left at the first safe opportunity. we don't need anymore guardians of public safety on the road.

from my original post

I had to put up with idot tailgaters when passing trucks and other cars

I don't think the light needs to flash, but just be a little brighter than usual. like a standard fog light.

Terry
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
i m always think of getting a pair of PIAA rally use headlight on top of my boot!:cool:

Tailgating.....:thumbdwn:

euro77
02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
If it's at noon, I just turn my headlight on, and most of the time they backed off immediately thinking I hit the brake. But it usually only work once or twice... they are amazingly clever enough to figure out that it's not the brake light. :-/

EGB16A
02-08-2005, 07:02 PM
i had this bloke tailgate me last night. I was doing 60km/h in a 60 zone through kogarah (through the fixed speed cameras) and he was still tail gating me and flashing his lights for me to go faster...... the stupidity of some people... especially commodore drivers... :cool:

FR33K
02-08-2005, 07:19 PM
just install a secret floodlight in your third brake light

SiReal
02-08-2005, 09:13 PM
or just have a box of nails in your car, so dump em out the window, and when he tries to get your plates, switch your lights off so he cant see it. hahaha

VirIIx
02-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I used to own a Chrysler Neon - passed down to my lil sis :D

however, it has two nice big rear fogs on the bumper...

This one time there was a tailgater and i flicked my rear fogs on.. he must've dropped of oh.. hmmm 400m or more... he got the message alright and didn't even creep any closer :)

I'd love to have rear fogs on my euro..