PDA

View Full Version : Amp power problem...please help

billyho_35
14-02-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone out there might have some idea of what's wrong with my system.

My 300W Coustic amp blew a fuse a few weeks back. I'd been driving on bumpy dirt roads and initially thought that a connection had come loose. But it turns out that by some freak-way a tiny spider had made his home inside my amp. Once I got rid of him and all his webs there was no short and the fuses would no longer blow.

But ever since then it's like my amp needs to 'warm up' to full power.
When I start the car, the sub (powered by this amp) is much quieter than it should be, and that's with the amp's sensitivity and boost turned all the way up.
After about 10-15mins of driving the amp/sub suddenly kicks in at full power, which then blows me away cos the gains are set so high!

This shits me so much cos I work about 10-15mins from home also, which means I can't hear my sub all the way there!

Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong here, or ideas for what I can try to identify/fix the problem please?

Thanks heaps,

Bill.

madgrk
14-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Did you replace it with the same rating fuse? If its taking a while to amplify anything, could be a blown cap (Capacitor) thats making the difference. DONT adjust your gains just to hear them for work, it's bad (for your hearing and the amp) to have gains set very loud anyway. Reason behind this is that it distorts soon after anyway.

Yeah get an electronics guy in your area to check all the caps, it could be a charge/discharge problem...

Hope this helps :)

billyho_35
14-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Yeah, fuse is definately the right ampage (I think that's the right word).

You're right, I don't wanna have the gains up high. I just hope it's something easy to repair, and not related to say, the alternator or something.

Who do you see to get this sort of thing checked out?
I wanna see someone I can trust or have recommended that won't spin me a load of shit and charge me for repairs I don't need, etc.
I mean I did the install myself, and have done a few before, but this is way beyond my knowledge.

Bill

madgrk
14-02-2004, 04:39 PM
OK either you can test the caps yourself, which will require cutting one end of the leg off the board so they are disconnected from anything else and checking what works and what doesnt. Or there is a shop in melbourne called Total Recoil, who i'm sure will do anything for ya :)

Email: info@totalrecoil.com.au
Address: 804 High St, Thornbury, 3071, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
PH: 03 9480 2466
FAX: 03 9480 2944

Hours: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, Saturday 11am-1pm.

http://www.totalrecoil.com.au/

billyho_35
14-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey, good call. My mate from work used to work for them.

Thanks for the suggestion dude.

madgrk
14-02-2004, 10:51 PM
No worries. Give em a buzz and im sure they'l be able to help you (or at least give you a contact number for more help) :D

euro77
15-02-2004, 11:25 AM
or go to any decent audio store, such as dbFever, GL Pro Sound, Freeway Car Radio, etc.

They should be able to help you out.

toE
18-02-2004, 01:47 AM
that's a first dat i've heard of for an amp.

do let us noe wat the problem was aye?? curious to noe...

billyho_35
19-02-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm hoping to get time to drop it into a shop Friday afternoon or Sat morn.
If we come up with any diagnosis I'll let you guys know.
It is a weird one...