PDA

View Full Version : getting a couple of mods ... need some advice ...

DarkCoupe
14-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey guys ... I am looking to get a couple of mods for my car ...

an exhaust, and some decent suspension (perhaps coilovers)

1st, re exhaust ... I have looked at various ones, but I am confused as to what I need to get. What I do want from the exhaust is for it to be able to support a turbo setup later (so I was told at least 2.5" in size) ... any ideas on a good one ??

2nd, re suspension ... I want the ride to be both ride hight and ride firmness adjustible, and to be a decent brand. I heared Koni Yellows are good ... but am looking for some advice on this from people who already have done the search and buy ...

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :D

LatinoHatchCrap
14-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Exhaust: Apexi N1 universal with 2.5" custom piping
Suspension: Koni yellows are not height adjustable; Tein, Buddy Club etc all make good coilovers

Morkz
14-02-2004, 10:36 PM
unless your going to turbo your car straight away there is now point putting a 2.5" exhaust on ur car, it's going to be to ****ing loud and it will be constantly droning on the inside of the car. A friend has tried it before it sucked to go driving in the car.

maling
14-02-2004, 11:10 PM
dont waste your money on an exhaust if you have plans to turbo the car later on. For turbo applicatins the exhaust system should be 3 inches or larger.

as for coilovers, i cant say much about konis because i have never tried them. But good brands would be HKS, TEIN, CUSCO and BILSTEIN. Ask Tangie or Z10

[[d a n n y]]
14-02-2004, 11:37 PM
i think 2.1/4 is better for your car as your car is a b16a?

2.5is more for b18c

Weq
14-02-2004, 11:46 PM
dont waste your money on an exhaust if you have plans to turbo the car later on. For turbo applicatins the exhaust system should be 3 inches or larger.

i agree, dont waiste ur money on any engine modifications if you are planning a turbo setup. But regarding 3" or larger, it all depends on engine capacity.

DarkCoupe
15-02-2004, 10:12 AM
alright. you guys have all convinced me to wait to get the exhaust till later.

my car is stock. other than wheels / suspension ... any suggestions on must have mods? ;)

btw please give me your input on what suspension is good (from your experiences) thanks :)

Morkz
15-02-2004, 10:49 AM
i recon a pod filter would be a good investment with a cold air intake, as for suspension it all depends on how much you want to spend and what u want to do with the car. I'd just lower the car a bit and get some firmer springs and leave it at that.

maling
15-02-2004, 10:55 AM
i suggest a Coilover setup if you are going to the track.

for street use i recommend harder shocks and a higher rate spring set.

DarkCoupe
16-02-2004, 10:05 PM
what do you all think of the Tein Type Flex system?

and sorry for the silly question but what are the pillow mount things good for?

A'PEXi
16-02-2004, 11:23 PM
2-2.25 should be okay for the exhaust... maybe get a highflow cat as well...

luzinit
17-02-2004, 12:06 PM
dyno dave posted in a thread somewhere about his preferences for order of mods.. maybe do a search and it mite give u some ideas, otherwise, the usual I/H/E mods are usually "must" have mods if ur going to do mods to ur car, then theres cam gears, hondata or similar tuneable ecu, clutch and lightened flywheel, haha, then u can start mucking with cams rarara.. man, all depends on your budget... so what is ur budget??

and what is ur budget for sussy components?

poid
17-02-2004, 12:19 PM
coilovers are excellent if you want the best handling for the car. A good spring/shock combo will give a better ride normally though (something like Koni Yellows plus decent springs).

I've recently gone from koni yellows to tanabe coilovers...the coilovers handle far better, mainly due to the extra stiffness. But the ride is noticeably harsher. The Tein type Flex are a race type coilover so will most likely be quite harsh for normal driving but excellent for the track.

As with the others, get the exhaust later. Will save you money

DarkCoupe
17-02-2004, 12:19 PM
my budget is a moving number :P basically I am looking for good value and good quality (ie. prefer quality and longevity and usability over bargain, but having said that I'd like to get the best price possible as well) *not sure if I am makin any sense here* ;)

DarkCoupe
17-02-2004, 12:23 PM
so if I am using the car as a daily driver right now and probably wont be doing auto-x for a while ... you'd advise moving away from the Type Flex?

poid
17-02-2004, 12:55 PM
i'd more advise doing thorough research regarding the different coilovers available. Not trying to turn you away from the Flex, just stating what they are for. Tein in general tend to be quite stiff, though i think the more 'street' oriented coilovers are more forgiving. Its all about what you want from your suspension

A mate will be importing some Tein SS from the US soonish, they are another option with the exchange rate so high at the moment

luzinit
17-02-2004, 01:22 PM
oops, my bad, forgot that ur thinkin of gettin a turbo setup later on..
in that case disregard everything i said about i/h/e which are essentially N/A mods..

just wait till u got the money for turbo and do it then :p

as for ur car being a daily driver..

my mate who has some Tein race spec coilovers, dunno which ones but he says that are quite stiff, infact too stiff for daily driving, and as a result hes blown a couple of them and needs to get em fixed now..

some shock + spring combo like koni yello and eibach springs shud give u the lowered stance that ur after, whilst still retaining some comfort atleast, and shouldnt cost u more than 1400..

otherwise ask z or tanghy abt wot stuff they got if u want coilovers hehehe.. there a few personal feedbacks on coilovers over at rsx, im sure u've read them, maybe that can help u decide on what u want also..

neways.. wasting too much tmie at work. cya.. eheeh

DarkCoupe
17-02-2004, 03:09 PM
thanks luzinit ...

hey poid I'd be interested in feedback about the Tein SS ... they seem to be rated as much softer and more 'street' orientated ... please let me know more info from your friend when you can! thanks :P

fusion_VTi
17-02-2004, 07:17 PM
i just ahve kings superlow in the front and custom super super low springs in the back 3.5 inches. does the trick and looks mean as, i'm just gonna stay with springs and not worry bout coil overs for the time being

Sypherg
17-02-2004, 08:08 PM
I say wait....since u are going turbo...most i will do is improve handling.
eg: coilovers, or get some light rims etc..

poid
17-02-2004, 09:23 PM
no worries DarkCoupe...it'll prolly be 3-4 weeks yet till they are on his car though

joneblaze
18-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Amir, regarding suspension what sort of attributes are you after? You mentioned you want good quality, reliability and height adjustability. Are you after something for daily driving and weekend warriorism (like the driving u just came on tonite? :)) ? Or also for a fair bit of track work? AFAIK most ppl will advise coilovers if you can afford them seeing they are the "best", but at the same time if you dont track very much I don't think you'll utilise their full potential.
AFAIK good adjustable dampers and springs such as Koni Yellow/Eibach or Tein NA/Tein S Tech combos are great for daily driving (can be adjusted to give comfy daily ride, plus i reckon once u drive it stiffer you'll love the improved handling so much you'll just leave it ! ;) ), and good for the weekly hoon and bi-annual track day. Those suspension packages are about the only ones I've had experience with.
Also if you basically just want sussy for looks and daily driving, you could always grab a set of decent springs and use your stock shocks?
As previously mentioned, its all about your price range and needed application.

Good luck :)

p.s: AFAIK, most "adj height" sussy, coilovers etc still require a fair bit of work to adjust up and down. And apparently you also need to re-calibrate everything after adjusting your height. I think this has been mentioned before in another thread. Perhaps you could just settle on a legal height you're happy with and purchase set height adjustable dampers and springs?

DarkCoupe
18-02-2004, 12:39 AM
I dont give a toss about looks really ... sure I'd like my car to be a bit lower but my main goal is always performance first ... looks last.

tonight I felt that I couldn't push my car as much as I'd like, only because there was too much bodyroll ... hopefully better springs/shocks or even coilovers can remove a good portion of that ...

I dont plan to do auto-x or track-days *yet* but I will in the future, and I don't mind a stiffer ride as long as it's not bone-jarringly rough.

You're probably right though, once I do use the harder setup I'd love the handling too much and I'll just leave it.

I am getting some quotes on the Tein SS coilovers and the Tein Type Flex coilovers ... what do u think? *anyone know much about these from real life experience??*

MKI4EVA
18-02-2004, 12:20 PM
You're probably right though, once I do use the harder setup I'd love the handling too much and I'll just leave it.

true dat........u'll never want to go back or mess up the set up.......

takes heaps of time to set it up the way you like.......and takes time for you to adapt to it as well.....

Civic Si
21-02-2004, 09:56 AM
tonight I felt that I couldn't push my car as much as I'd like, only because there was too much bodyroll ... hopefully better springs/shocks or even coilovers can remove a good portion of that ...

A bigger sway bar would help reduce some of that body roll... :nod:

DarkCoupe
21-02-2004, 11:42 AM
hmm ... I was also thinking about getting the front / rear sway bars ... can someone recommend some? :D

OLM-02R
21-02-2004, 11:49 AM
whiteline :D:D

DarkCoupe
21-02-2004, 01:32 PM
how much would they be for front/back? and what's the difference between whiteline and say ... Spoon? (as far as struts I mean) :P

Civic Si
22-02-2004, 05:11 PM
The best thing to do to get prices is to go to the Whiteline website www.whiteline.com.au, then check out the part numbers for the swaybars thet u require. Call whiteline up and quote the part numbers to the salesperson, then they will give u prices.

This is a bit of a hassle to go to da website and all, but this was wat the saleperson told me to do when I was asking for prices once.