PDA

View Full Version : Civic = expensive to fix / insure?

cnidus
03-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi,

Ive currently got an 87 nissan exa.... its a bucket of sh!t.

Anywho, Im currently thinking Im gunna get myself a small loan, get a little reliable car and be done with it. The way figure it, the interest I pay on the loan is going to be far less than the cost of repairs on my current car, and probably less than most cars in the price I can afford if I sell the exa today.

Anyway. My question was this, I want to get a civic for around $8k, what should I be looking at? I really like the EG shape, but Ive been told by a few people that that model and before was fairly expensive should anything go wrong. Ive also heard that it is more expensive to insure for some reason?

Should I be looking at a higher km but newer EK, or a lower km, older EG?

Is a good, low km, reliable, car attainable with my budget?

Cheers lads,
Doug Youd

heist
03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
dude, what you need to understand is that honda engines will run forever if you treat them right.... so it just depends on the shape you like, eg or ek.... the only things that have gone wrong with my car so far are the wheel hub bearings, not expensive or hard to fix... and parts arnt that expensive....

EGB16A
03-08-2005, 02:32 PM
personally i rate the EG higher than the EK... its a bias desision i know, but too bad! :D

So far everything has been cheap to run my car. I have full comp. insurance on my car and pay $1200 (all mods listed)

So yeah, to me they are cheap to own/run

cnidus
03-08-2005, 02:37 PM
so nothing on the EG is more or less expensive than the EK?

If that be the case, Im going EG hunting....

xtercii
03-08-2005, 03:12 PM
I got my 97 Gli Ek civic with 110000k for 8300 about a week ago, the car is in good condition and feels very good to drive. In my mind, it’s worth the extra money to go for the newer model.

ekslut
03-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Get a EG, with that money you will get a decent EG that should last for ages. If you get a EK it will be high km and I couldn't imagine it lasting all that long.

Phantasm
03-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Civics are cheap to run in terms of fuel economy, and in terms of servicing they arent too bad. But there is nothing cheap about repairing or replacing parts on them.

cnidus
03-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Civics are cheap to run in terms of fuel economy, and in terms of servicing they arent too bad. But there is nothing cheap about repairing or replacing parts on them.

Can you elaborate a little? Also, is there any huge difference in the cost of those parts between the two modles.... I guess that was what I wanted to know.

BlitZ
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
running and repairs cost:-.. they both fair up really well..

Just dont get the next model up after ek.

Ek will proabably be easier to sell as they are a new generation.. Eg are a classic

With that budget.. its either entry model EK or top model EG...
go EG son

cnidus
03-08-2005, 04:37 PM
What sort of dollars should I be looking at for a low km EG vti ? Or would I be limited to the lowert models?

Weq
03-08-2005, 07:16 PM
vti''s still demand around 8k. my vti was so hella reliable. i had thousand sof k's of trouble free motor before i got sick of it and started modding.. lol.

cnidus
03-08-2005, 08:07 PM
So would I be pushing it to get a vti or si ? I think. For around that money?

Or is there the possibility of finding a much better non-vtech one for the same money?

What would you guys reccomend? I want a hatch (or a coupe, but I hear they're impossible to find). Preferably something I can modify down the track if I chose to do so (say... turbo kit), but for the time being, reliability is the key.

**Ghost**
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
parts of eg/ek are fairly focking expensive if u dont know where to look... just consider whether the 4 big maintenance things have been done before u buy the car...being

1. headgasket ($500)
2. clutch ($500)
3. Timing Belt/Water Pump ($500)

definitely factor that into ur budget cos i didnt

Lukezen27
04-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I think you could find a good EG VTi for about $8k :thumbsup:

I got mine for $9.5K with 96.000 on the clock but got ripped coze the one and only last owner used cheap old and the rings anr't the best :rolleyes:

much sure ya give her a bit and check for smoke

gnx1987
04-08-2005, 08:00 PM
My mate picked up an eg breeze with a b16 conversion for 9200 about a month and a bit ago. But that's cause he was looking for one with less than 160000 ks and for less than 10000. So if you don't mind maybe around 200000 kays you might be able to get one for about 8000. Only surprise to come out of my mates car so far is that who ever converted it left the factory ECU in it.

cnidus
04-08-2005, 08:46 PM
I'd prefer a car with lower Ks than stretching and getting something thats going to need work sooner rather than later.

SO I think I'll stick to a standard type one. Ideally with around 130,000ks. BUt we shall see.

CTR Coupe
04-08-2005, 09:16 PM
The price for parts is going to be the same on both cars. Hondas are more expensive to maintain than other cars but they usually don’t break down unless they haven’t been properly maintained.
Remember it’s not all about the amount of KM a car has done. I would take a high KM 96 model over a low KM 92 model. Especially if the 96 model had full Honda service history. Things like rubber bushes perish with age not just KMs.
I think the EG’s are starting to get tired and a lot of them need a bit of spit and polish to get them running like new again. The SI EGs were only available in 92 and are 14 years old now.
If you had your heart set on an EG I would be looking at the 94-95 VTI’s. Forget about the breezes unless you’re just looking for a shell to build a car. They come with nothing (carb, no electrics etc) and frankly I think they are way over priced for what they are at the moment.
You should be able to pick up a tidy cxi for around 8-10k sure they don’t have electric windows etc but I think things are less likely to go wrong in a 9 year old car rather than a 10-14 year old car.

Remember to always have the car inspected by your mechanic or the RACV (or equivalent).
If the person doesn’t want it inspected walk away because it’s just not worth the risk.

Mooro
05-08-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm fairly new to this whole honda business but if I was in your shows with about 8 or 9 grand to spend on an EG I would try and stretch myself another grand or 2 and get B16A converted breeze. Depends on what you want out of the car I guess in terms of whether creature comforts are important or not. In my view I'd like air-con but everything else (power windows etc) I don't really mind either way but I'd want something that has a bit of performance.

cnidus
05-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Ive seen a 95 EG VTI for sale for $8800. It has 189000ks on the clock but aparently it has a full service history. Its at a yard, so I might go see how it is tomoro.

Its not that I have my heart set on an EG (although I do love the shape), its just I think I can get a better car that may be 2-3 years older. I think I'll be looking to the good to best of the EGs or the low to medium of the EKs, if that makes any sense.

Who knows, for the money maybe Im better off looking at something else entirely, although I am rather hooked on this civic thing, such cool little cars.

Im not interested in a heavily modified one (ie b16a powered breeze), the whole idea of this is for me to kick my car spending habits and also to get something that is above everything else RELIABLE.