PDA

View Full Version : 4-1 headers OK for first gen B16a?

Nightrider
03-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Ok,
I've just purchased a set of DC sports 4-1 headers to be fitted to my EF9 Civic.

1/Could anyone share there experience with fitting 4-1 headers to first gen B16A and any little issues that were experienced?

2/Also, if necessary can you just put in a 'bung' in one of the headers pipes for locating the first o2 sensor? - any drawbacks regarding this?......

What's understood thus far (please correct if wrong):

- EF9's run an OBDO ECU.

- EF9's aparently have with two 2 wire o2 sensors as opposed to the
B16A2 that has a single 4 wire o2 sensor located at the back of the stock header (so my net reading tells me c/d?...)

- In order to obtain the right fuel air mix the o2 sensor closest to the stock header of the first gen B16a measures the o2/fuel mix and relays to ECU that makes adjustments etc...

Thanks

Limbo
03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Yep be careful if you got the 4-1 from the US cos most of them will hit your clutch slave due to the difference in positioning (ran into this problem) other thing to watch our for is if they sit too low. The O2 sensors are the least of your worries as most exhaust shops will fit them on for you with no probs. I've seen them do the extra o2 sensors done its quite easy.

mini_s2000
03-08-2005, 08:40 PM
good luck! there's also a DIY thread on installing extractors on these forums some where...

Nightrider
08-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

Seems that 'clearance' will be the biggest hassle to sort out.
Has anyone here hooked 4-1 headers up to ED/EF swap or Integra DA....?

panda[cRx]
08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
yeah clearance will be your biggest issue. like limbo said it'll either be up banging against your clutch slave, crossmember or it'll hang too low where it'll get banged the first time u go up a bad driveway or speed hump.

Nightrider
08-08-2005, 12:12 PM
hmmm...got the measuring tape out yesterday - hang length seems OK....just can't be certain about front cross member. Any one tried 4-1 on B series powered EF/ED or DA Teg?...

panda[cRx]
08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
well i was speaking on my experience on my b series ED fitting 4-2-1 if that helps.

ekslut
08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
yeah, thats the biggest problem I have heard too. The headers hitting the front crossmember. I got ones made for a EF8/9, so mine fitted no probs. But if you have a look you can see there is not much space so other B-series headers might be a tight fit.

VT3C
08-08-2005, 02:24 PM
had a look at the EF9 the other day and I think clearance underneath will not be a problem - they are B16 headers not B18..

His EF9 has a full-width radiator (drool) and on the passenger's side there is a secondary cooling fan (for a/c?) and it leaves only 4-5" from the head to this fan.

go directly down from the edge of the fan and then there's the front cross member poking out almost 1-1.5" leaving only like 3-3.5" clearance for the lower half of the header.

I havnt seen the header yet, but looking at a friend's B16 in EG with a 4-1, it appears to 'poke out' about 5-6.5" from the block.