PDA

View Full Version : Bad smell after AC

wynode
09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Whenever I switch the AC off in my civic around a minute afterwards I get a bad smell comming from the vents. I have to keep the fan on for another 5-10 mins untill the smell eventually goes away.

Its always after i've had the AC running.

Any ideas?

vti-2
09-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Is the air still cold? It may need to be re-gassed, if it hasn't been done for over a year that is probably what the problem is. Unless an animal crawled into the vents and died... :shock:

toE
09-09-2003, 01:23 PM
yea..i was gonna say an animal too...

das wat happened to mah dad's car...apparently a mouse or something died somewhere in there and phew!! did it smell!! took about 2 months for the smell to be gone and for us to adapt to it on family rides... :?

wynode
09-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Yes the air is still cold. Its just the few minutes after the AC has been put off that it smells.

If i'm just running the fan or the AC there is no smell.......only the few minutes after I push the AC button off.

Civic Si
09-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Wat sorta smell is it :?:

one more chance
09-09-2003, 04:35 PM
u have two things to check out.....

the gas is upon finishing....u need to refill it....
or as mentioned....some bug has died in there.....

wynode
09-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Like a sweaty (ever smelt your armpits?) smell.

If something HAS died in there, how come the smell only comes for the few minutes after putting the AC off?

vti-2
09-09-2003, 05:56 PM
This is a common problem. Because you are switching the compressor off and it is reverting back to normal air the gasses are still being expelled and you will get a wierd smell coming out of the vents (it can smell like new plastic sometimes). It usually means you need to get the a/c re-gassed.

VTi-RT
09-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Is it a smell like when you have the AC on and the temp at hot?

a sweaty moist type of smell?

If so that could be the reason, you have the temp on hot and the AC on...

wynode
09-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Yeahh it is a sweaty moist kinda smell.

But the temp is on COLD always when it happens.

Calvo
09-09-2003, 09:58 PM
yeh i got that dirty smell aswell, its actually on both accord my family own.
how would u check if theres a dead animal in it?

Civic Si
10-09-2003, 07:36 AM
If it's a musty or as u say sweaty smell then it's a build up of fungi in da A/C system.

The solution... :idea: .try using a A/C disinfectent! It should come in a spray can that u can buy at any Spare parts shop around.

Open ur windows, then spray it into ya vents and also where da plenum is ( where da air comes through from da outside of ur car, close to da bottom of ur windscreen). Then turn the fan on max fan speed for about 10 mins. :)

This stuff worked wonders on my Civic! :wink:

Calvo
10-09-2003, 10:04 PM
sweet. gonna have to try that stuff.

Jnr Teggy
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
If it's a musty or as u say sweaty smell then it's a build up of fungi in da A/C system.

The solution... :idea: .try using a A/C disinfectent! It should come in a spray can that u can buy at any Spare parts shop around.

Open ur windows, then spray it into ya vents and also where da plenum is ( where da air comes through from da outside of ur car, close to da bottom of ur windscreen). Then turn the fan on max fan speed for about 10 mins. :)

This stuff worked wonders on my Civic! :wink:

got it in one!

wynode
11-09-2003, 10:00 AM
I just called Repco and its $30.

How expensive is that!?!?!?!?

Civic Si
11-09-2003, 07:59 PM

I'll find out how much it cost for me to get them from my work's main warehouse. :P

wynode
11-09-2003, 08:15 PM

I'll find out how much it cost for me to get them from my work's main warehouse. :P

:D :thumbsup:

VTi-RT
11-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Didn't know that there is a spray for things like this... will have to make a note of this :D

Civic Si
16-09-2003, 04:26 PM
My warehouse don't sell it, but my workshop at work can get it at around $20 ! :D

wynode
16-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Sounds good....although still alittle pricey!

Can I use it then return it ;) heeh

I'll get back to you on that.

TKS!

Civic Si
16-09-2003, 07:55 PM

TKS!

How about I just "borrow" :wink: da can from work and bring it to da cruise ay? Won't cost u a thing! :P

wynode
16-09-2003, 08:00 PM

TKS!

How about I just "borrow" :wink: da can from work and bring it to da cruise ay? Won't cost u a thing! :P

You're a champ!

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THAT!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Civic Si
16-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Hopefully this should fix ur problem then... :wink: