PDA

View Full Version : Antenna in spoiler - works well

DeSloth
03-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Not sure if anyone has done this before (or something similar), but I just finished installing an FM antenna in the spoiler of my '94 Accord. It was a frustrating process, but it works really well. :thumbsup:

The antenna I used (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LT3002&CATID=&keywords=antenna&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

All the wiring paths are already in place, but you'll have to get a bit creative running wires from the stock plug up into the spoiler.

Stock antenna hole will be bogged and painted with the rest of my car at a later date. Covered neatly in tape and an aluminium backing for the time being.

I'll post some hints as I think of them, if anyone is interested.

This was all becase the stock power antenna in the accord likes to die, so I guess a lot of people would have similar issues.

Let us know if you find this helpful, or ask any questions etc. :)

ECU-MAN
03-08-2005, 10:21 PM
awsome idea man

why not do a DIY on this

good work

DeSloth
03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
If this makes no sense, I'm really tired. Apologies in advance.

I considered a DIY, but it is all installed now and a little too late. It's also kinda one of those things you probably shouldn't be doing if you ask how to remove the spoiler. There would basically just be about 300 steps all illustrating how I threaded X wire through Y.

It would be different for every car, but the concepts are the same - Shove a $3 indoor FM antenna into your spoiler. It's really simple, just a hassle to get the antenna into the spoiler without ANY external modification. Getting the antenna wires from the spoiler down into the boot, through the rubber gromet + pipe was also good fun.

Tips:

Middle section of that 'T' antenna went in the middle of the spoiler. I had to trim and re - join the ends as it was slightly too long. Don't change this dimension too much because it is actually important. The 'Tail' of the T can be chopped to whatever length, and i just followed the LED brake light cable down into the boot and attached a plug to fit the OEM socket.

I threaded all wires through the existing gromets (for brake + number plate illumination wires).

I used a pushbike brake/gear cable to shove into spaces and pull other wires through. It is stiff, flexable and able to be 'directed' by twisting it around to avoid snags etc.

I covered the 300ohm antenna in silicone before 'pulling' it into the spoiler. This will make it stick to something / everything and prevent some serious rattles. Most of what i did was wrapped in electrical tape and generally installed with rattles in mind.

You will also need a antenna plug (avail. from jaycar) and know more or less how to use a soldering iron.

That is all I can think of right now. Will post more if people actually try it.

The best part about all of this is with an aftermarket HU, the antenna no longer goes up and down every time I listen to a CD etc. :)