PDA

View Full Version : S2K final gear modification??

.::F[L]Y::.
03-08-2005, 10:34 PM
According to members of s2ki.com this appears to be the best mod to do to the car. The purpose of this thread is to gain some further info on it as i cnt seem to find any sufficient information on this. so my questions are

-What does this mod do to the car ie accleration, power

-will it affect the motor in any way ie shorten its life.

-how much and where

cheers

-John

toE
03-08-2005, 10:39 PM
As far as I've read before on s2ki and as far as i can remember, it won't shorten the engine life (if maintained faithfully like any other cars).

City driving will be a hassle (i think or is it the other way round), in that the longer gearing is a pain with urban traffic.

Power wise...will be the same, but you arrive at your top speed faster.

Once again, this is as far as I can recall.

What have you read or heard so far John? :)

04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
pretty much what you have posted up mate...

i just stumbled acorss this on s2ki.com, tried running a search but their search function isnt working properly.

TODA AU
04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
It's available in 4.444
http://www.a-t-s.co.jp/atsgif/s2000-4.444fainalgear.gif
& 4.778 ratio.http://www.a-t-s.co.jp/atsgif/s2000-4.778.gif

:thumbsup: Good bang for bucks.
:thumbdwn: Affects speedo accuracy

Cost is around $1300 landed

9krpm
04-08-2005, 08:39 AM
You will loose top end speed but will gain acceleration off the line in return.

I've got a honda s2k diff with stock lsd and rick's 4.44 crown wheels + pinion installed that I no longer need. If anyone is interested pm me your offer. You will need a speedo calibrator like yellow box or unbranded box from s2ki market place.

hondaboy
04-08-2005, 03:28 PM
anyone have any info on increased rwhp figures from using this item
or possible bettered ET figures?

91'lude
05-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I dont see why the kw would change significantly?

But the closer gearing should improve the streight line performance...

Iv got a video of the normal stook, vs one with 4.57 gears and well, its quite a large difference. Click here for the video (http://www.zippyvideos.com/107258586780185.html).

05-08-2005, 12:32 PM
I dont see why the kw would change significantly?

But the closer gearing should improve the streight line performance...

Iv got a video of the normal stook, vs one with 4.57 gears and well, its quite a large difference. Click here for the video (http://www.zippyvideos.com/107258586780185.html).

nice vid man...yeh i dont think u would acutally gain any power jus that the gear mod jus makes u accelerate quicker...which is a good thing i guess but driving a car like that in syd trafic would be abit of a bitch?

91'lude
05-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Fly, waaay off topic, but got any pics of your ride?

And i dont see how it would make it a bitch, its just changed gear ratio's...

05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Fly, waaay off topic, but got any pics of your ride?

And i dont see how it would make it a bitch, its just changed gear ratio's...

not as yet...still waiting for some stuff to get shipped over, but once they are on the car i will post up some nice shots haha :D

Perry
05-08-2005, 01:12 PM
u will constantly changin gears or reving higher then usual thats way its a bitch to drive in the normal peak hour traiffic

^^v
05-08-2005, 02:06 PM
from what i've seen the lower final gear makes quite a significant difference in accleration...quite noticeable on the track...

ekslut
05-08-2005, 02:30 PM
anyone have any info on increased rwhp figures from using this item
or possible bettered ET figures?

I don't beleive that it actually increases power. It just help with quicker acceleration. Similar to a lightened flywheel, only you loose out on some top speed.

9krpm
05-08-2005, 03:23 PM
u will constantly changin gears or reving higher then usual thats way its a bitch to drive in the normal peak hour traiffic

that's a real contradicting statement
you don't get to go too fast in peak traffic so why would you have to change gears all the time

IMO, 4.44 is good but anything higher is just overkill. The 4.44 ratio is good for SC or NA. With a turbo you have to constantly shift......not in peak hour traffic :wave:

tofu R
05-08-2005, 10:51 PM
i remember reading on a thread at s2ki ..(this is stretching my memory to 2 years +)
That some guy was saying that you can use some Isuzu's FD from something or rather.. was the same as the ATS Final Drive but 1/4 of the price.

Check for the thread dude..

91'lude
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
s2ki's search feature is down... im sure it'd be fun to find :P

Perry
06-08-2005, 12:14 PM
that's a real contradicting statement
you don't get to go too fast in peak traffic so why would you have to change gears all the time

IMO, 4.44 is good but anything higher is just overkill. The 4.44 ratio is good for SC or NA. With a turbo you have to constantly shift......not in peak hour traffic :wave:

im going by how Fly drives

06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
so would anyone know how much would it roughly cost to get this done ie labour??

Sideshow Bob
18-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Y::.']so would anyone know how much would it roughly cost to get this done ie labour??

i dont want to help you honda boys out, but luckily im a friendly person :rolleyes:

hehe, well yea anyway. Crown and pinion can be had for a lot cheaper than what that Toda dude was offering (ive seen 4.44 go for ~$350), that is if you want (low km) mazda/kia products. which imo should be strong enough wihtout FI. Instalation should cost about $300 depending where you go.

i remember stumbling accross an american s2k forum earlier this year, those guys had a good list of what can fit. i remember mazda has 4.44, and kia 4.8.

basically the trade off with this change is: top speed (of each gear) decrease - for - Better acceleration (as you will notice in that vid link above)

Engine life will not change
Power figures will not change

Sideshow Bob
20-08-2005, 11:58 AM
http://members.aol.com/solomiata/Drivetrain.html

for a list of interchangeable C&P look at the 'Rear gear part numbers' table.

20-08-2005, 05:04 PM
nice info 'Sdeshow Bob' much appreciated