PDA

View Full Version : Driving around with cam gears exposed?

MrPlow
04-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey guys, anyone out there driving around with there cam gears exposed or know of anyone? Either fully exposed by cutting the whole top and sides of the cover or just the sides exposed by cutting just the side off the cover...

Have you guys had any problems?

note: I dont wanna hear from people who are just going to tell me - "if something goes in like a small rock it will **** your motor up...."

bennjamin
04-08-2005, 11:10 AM
note: I dont wanna hear from people who are just going to tell me - "if something goes in like a small rock it will **** your motor up...."

I read the title and THAT was going to be my exact response rofl .
Ive NEVER heard of anyone close to home ( that is , in AUSTRALIA) engine failing due to a rock or any foreign object gettign sucked into the timing belt etc.
The splash guard underneath helps prevent this. Id say the chances are extremelty remote ! But with all things its better safe than sorry methinks - seriously, you set your cam timing ONCE or TWICE - there is no need to have the cam cover cut ( unless its for showing off during OH meets with ur bonnet up).

tinkerbell
04-08-2005, 11:14 AM
it is illegal - you will be defected.

MrPlow
04-08-2005, 11:14 AM
You of all people is who i was aiming that note too... hahaha!Resonable response ben... im on the same line of thought but when you got sexy gears to show off... mights as well flaunt them!

Its only a small section that would be showing... In the process of designing a clear cover for b series motors!

bennjamin
04-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Its only a small section that would be showing... In the process of designing a clear cover for b series motors!

rofl :D But Im sure you could design something similar to some nissan etc engines that have a clear aftermarket cover too -

http://www.upimports.com.au/UPI_Parts/Pics/Engine/Engine_13.jpg

Or just buy this one and cut it abit for the B series :D

Dont let Tinkerbells advice slip thru the net tho !

MrPlow
04-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Well thats what im designing - since there is none availible for honda... (that i have found)

Civic Type R
04-08-2005, 11:44 AM
A good friend had his R32 GTR passed with his pink HKS cam gears exposed. So I would like to see why he could and a Honda couldnt.

bennjamin
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Well thats what im designing - since there is none availible for honda... (that i have found)

Mmm keep at it and keep us informed :)

Just a thought , afaik the only engine/s with a removeable timing belt cover are D series SOHC and my engine the d16a8. This could easilt be made in a see-through plastic for camgear goodness :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/795a-med.jpg

BUT ofcourse B, H and F etc come with the cam cover covering the gears too. Methinks yours will be a once-off venture :honda:

MrPlow
04-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Civic Type R : i know i go who also has been driving with gear exposed, cops and rta have seen them and said nothing... but im not saying it legal...

Ben.. yeh i will - i think it would be a sell-a-ble item, but yeh im getting a plastic shaper to come round and take measurements maybe on monday! then gotta find a way to attach it to the metal cover..

[T][L]
04-08-2005, 12:36 PM
use super glue man.... :D

Civic Type R
04-08-2005, 12:42 PM
I just say do it and drive it with it cut open.
If you get pulled over and quizzed, ask the cop why he thinks illegal and then get him to supply the written laws on it.

aStRooo
04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
my friend drives his dc2 around with the cam gears exposed, its the only indication he has any internals done at all, lol. no probs with it so far, just dont get any fingers caught >_<

egSi
04-08-2005, 03:58 PM
ive been driving round with exposed cam gears for over 2yrs and i live in qld thats full of gay ****ing dirt/rock goat tracks i mean roads :thumbdwn:

ull be fine man ;)

here:
http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/P1010003%7E7.JPG

Lukezen27
04-08-2005, 07:02 PM
LMAO

I'v seen heaps of pics like Trav's SI and and thought thats how they were meant to be heheh

Live and learn :thumbsup:

Weq
04-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I read the title and THAT was going to be my exact response rofl .
Ive NEVER heard of anyone close to home ( that is , in AUSTRALIA) engine failing due to a rock or any foreign object gettign sucked into the timing belt etc.
The splash guard underneath helps prevent this. Id say the chances are extremelty remote ! But with all things its better safe than sorry methinks - seriously, you set your cam timing ONCE or TWICE - there is no need to have the cam cover cut ( unless its for showing off during OH meets with ur bonnet up).

ah workmate of mine had a small rock launch, go through the plastic splash gaurd and get doged in his waterpump. no way id run without the cover on. ur timing belt is important. lol. quite simple.

whats the point other then wank factor though. dial them in on the dyno then install the cover back! simplee.

T-onedc2
04-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Even simply exposing the timing belt to more dust and whatever else will certainly shorten the belt's life. By how much? Who knows. I don't want to find that out with my car.
It's there for a reason not just safety of fingers.:thumbsup: