PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about used seats

Zdster
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi all,

I was thinking about how people buy second hand seats and place them in there cars and just wanted to get some opinions on an issue. Like with all used products it is sometimes difficult to know the history of the product.

One of the issues I was concerned about was the structural rigidity of purchasing second hand seats. If for example the car that the seats were removed from was in a major accident would this not effect the internal structure of the seats and as such compromise future performance? To then go and place them in another car, I was wondering how the seats would then hold up in the future. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Really at the end of the day seats are a very important safety aspect in any vehicle and I was just wondering what others thought on this issue.

Please feel free to contribute with all comments.

Zdster
04-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Any thoughts people?

Encor3
04-08-2005, 08:49 PM
i reckon it would be pretty safe, if it was in a major accident the worse that could happen is the rails hav been slightly bent, and that would require a serious accident.

i'd be more worried about seatbelts as a safty issue than the actual seat. the only issue that MAY occur with 2nd hand seats is that the foam and fabric are worn in..

The seats are only connected by rails to the chassis of the car, i doubt that those rails would have any impact if any at all with the rigidness of the car

Ryanair
04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Autosalon mag ran an article on this a few months back - mainly look at bolsters on sides for wear as they are first to go, will post up rest tomorrow, was issue 30 i think

z3lda
04-08-2005, 11:49 PM
make sure to check for cum stains

SLPJCooL
04-08-2005, 11:55 PM

^^^ :D Funny, but True!

euro1978
05-08-2005, 01:11 PM

If we are going down that road, also check for shit stains I guess.

Zdster
05-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

froggy
07-08-2005, 04:50 PM
ITS a Seat who really cares... its not like the seats going to blow up on you..... I think you need to stop worrying about the little things in life buddy