PDA

View Full Version : new suspension for dc5r?

andrew84tran
05-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey guys,
I just got myself an audm dc5r but I've realised that the ride is extremely unforgiving on rough roads. I'm not too well informed about what kinds/types/brands of suspension are out there, but what should i change on my suspension so that I can get a nice softer ride but without compromising handling at the same time?

Cheers

Kawasaki
05-08-2005, 04:55 PM
errr why did you buy a type R if you dont like abit of stiffness?

euro1978
05-08-2005, 05:08 PM
hehe - you are in a spot of bother.

You are not going to get a better ride in terms of comfort than the factory setup.

kenji
05-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah the Type-R is quiet stiff as it is, it was purposly designed to go on track! Maybe if u change to coilovers and use the most softest damper settings lol

JINRAI
05-08-2005, 05:30 PM
should have bought the luxury with a type R kit...didn't you test drive the car? :D

CJL
05-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Thats gonna be abit hard to do the softer it is i assume you will begin to get body roll... Isnt the harsh ride all part of the fun

andrew84tran
05-08-2005, 08:36 PM
haha..thanks guys.. i did test drive the car actually and yes i knew it was rough when i bought it..but i guess you don't really realise it until you drive the car to uni/work everyday and then it really starts to get at ya..its something i can live with but i'm just curious if i can change/adjust it.. if i could that would be great if not then its cool..no biggy

Speeder
05-08-2005, 08:50 PM
You can always change the shocks which accomodates for comfort only, but then it defeats the purpose of owning a Type R in the first place. You will get use to it.

Cr@ckerJ@ck
05-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey guys,
I just got myself an audm dc5r but I've realised that the ride is extremely unforgiving on rough roads. I'm not too well informed about what kinds/types/brands of suspension are out there, but what should i change on my suspension so that I can get a nice softer ride but without compromising handling at the same time?

Cheers

Hey there, I know exactly how you feel, using my 03 DC5R for a daily driver I got really sick of the bone jarring road conditions here in Brisbane, I was literally driving around trying to avoid potholes and bumps in the roads surface.

I installed some king springs a few weeks ago which lowered the ride height by about 2cm (nothing too low, I still need to go to the shopping center now and then ) and this alone vastly improved the ride quality and handling, I would highly recommend you give springs a go before installing any shocks or expensive coilovers.

dark138
06-08-2005, 07:46 PM
the last guy who owned my car lowered it so that the wheels are just inside the camber...

then my muffler start to leak a little, it was coz whenver i enter the carpark at home, the weight of the car will beat the muffler into the speedbump as it goes down, no matter how slow i go, i will either hear sound of metal screeching or my muffler getting beaten.
Moral of story, dun lower the TypeR

T-onedc2
06-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Whatever you don't sell the stock suspension if you're going softer so it can be returned to stock when you sell. More than likely a Type R buyer wants it as stock I'd say.

Cr@ckerJ@ck
07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Whatever you don't sell the stock suspension if you're going softer so it can be returned to stock when you sell. More than likely a Type R buyer wants it as stock I'd say.

Trust me OEM springs in a DC5R are crap! I regret not changing them for aftermarket coils sooner. ;)

Max Power
07-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Come for a ride in my dc5r with tein coilovers and ill show you a harsh ride my friend!

TeMp
07-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Come for a ride in my dc5r with tein coilovers and ill show you a comfy ride my friend!

andrew84tran
07-08-2005, 08:20 PM
lol @ max power and temp.. so whats the concensus? harsh or comfortable?!

Max Power
07-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Mine is a very harsh ride...but still great fun on brisbane roads

blkeuro
08-08-2005, 11:46 AM
As most have said, the stock springs are the softest ride you're gonna get with the DC5R. I must admit, the huge gap between the wheel and body isn't a good look though..

T-onedc2
08-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Trust me OEM springs in a DC5R are crap! I regret not changing them for aftermarket coils sooner. ;)
Getting off topic here but my point was only that when time to sell the car it's wise to be able to offer the originals too as some people won't touch even slightly modded car, it'll be worth more for resale depending on the buyer, be smart and keep your options open.:)

votek
10-08-2005, 11:30 PM
stock springs for sale if anyone wants? pm me

Tofu
11-08-2005, 12:12 AM
I have stock base DC5 shocks and springs for sale...
they are definately softer than the R setup...
if you want them let me know