PDA

View Full Version : redlining a dc5r

andrew84tran
06-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Hey guys,

I just got my audm dc5r the other day and I'm still a newbie at manual and just cars in general. Recently I've pushing pretty hard and going past redline, probably hitting 8000rpm on two or three of my shifts. I just want to know if this is has stuffed up my engine or anything?? I try to keep it under redline but I just get to anxious. Assuming I don't ever redline it again, is there any kind of damage to my engine atm?

Chi
06-08-2005, 05:30 PM
No offense but ur an idiot, if you a newbie to manual WTF push it for?

Seriously?

Anyways rant out of the way.

If u dont hit rev limiter its ok, but rev limiter is there to prevent u from over revving and blowing ur engine.
But i still wouldnt do it.

BUt make sure u check these things if u do hit it hard.

-Check if engine oil is still full, as VTECking can burn off oil.

-Make sure u warm up ur car for a good few 10-15mins prior to thrash it.

-Make sure u let ur car run down after thrashing it for a good few mins before shutting it off.

But yeah your engine can handle that kind of rev range often, but dont do it till u properly learn manual other wise u may ride ur clutch if u cant shift properly or if u down shift in high revs without matching u can jerk ur engine and could **** the internals.

kousoku
06-08-2005, 05:33 PM
the reason there is a rev limiter on your car is so that you don;t do anything that could do damage to it.
i'm pretty sure it would be save to do all your gear shifts at the limiter(once your car is warm, and once your new car has done at least 10k kms), although i myself would not recommend it.

-MuGen PoWer-
06-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Chi cant he push the car ?? and he can drive properly so dont diss him

zen
06-08-2005, 06:24 PM
First manual is a DC5R ? just be very careful buddy. i have a mate that thought he could learn manual on his S15 200sx and that ended up in a pole :thumbdwn:

Chi
06-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Did i fcking know that?

he said he was a newbie to manual.

And i never said he cant push the car, If i said that i wouldnt tell him wot to do when he decides to do it now would i?

I said if he was a newbie to manual then why push it?

He evne said it himself.

Learn to fcking read .

unluvedboi
06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
relax fellas..
of course, if you over rev your car.. you think its healthy? hehe
drive like a granny and your car will last longer =]

chicken8
06-08-2005, 09:06 PM
this topic looks cool

if only i could read

chi. the guy just bought his car. all hyped. all jolly. y ruin his high for?

thinking u're king shit or something eh?

im guessing u were never a newbie at manual once then. u were downshifting as a feotus yeah?

SiR JDM
06-08-2005, 09:10 PM
guys relax or take it to PM.. since your both in sydney why not take it to the streets y0! :p

Anyway I agree with everything Chi said in his first reply. It is an expensive car to learn how to drive manual on so be careful with it dude.

Chi
06-08-2005, 09:32 PM
this topic looks cool

if only i could read

chi. the guy just bought his car. all hyped. all jolly. y ruin his high for?

thinking u're king shit or something eh?

im guessing u were never a newbie at manual once then. u were downshifting as a feotus yeah?

If i wanted to ruin his high i wouldnt of told him how to look after the engine would i?

But seriously someone goes out to get a nice car who barely experienced with manual and is already hitting it so hard.

Of course he sounds like an idiot.

What am i supposed ot say, applause it?

pfft.

wynode
06-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Guys, this is the model specific forum so if you have any issues with each other......take it to PM. And yes, this is a warning!

joyride
07-08-2005, 10:35 AM
to answer his question, there probablywouldnt be any internal damage right now but keep up the charade and you'll be posting "wtb: dc5r engine soon".
after a good thrashing, just drive normally before shutting of the engine so it can cool down properly.
otherwise invest in an oil cooler, well worth it.

euro1978
07-08-2005, 11:12 AM
VTEC engines obviously can be driven into high revs otherwise the whole concept of different cam setting at high RPM is a waste of time. That being said, constantly thrashing your car will shorten the life of the engine as well as other wear and tear items such as brakes, tyres & clutch.

If you want to drive like this (and I hope it is being done with a degree of safety) I would suggest increasing the frequency of oil changes as well as allowing your car to warm up and cool down properly like others have suggested.

DaPlaya
07-08-2005, 11:43 AM
chi has PMS

BLKCRX
07-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Iv tuned 100’s of dc5r around Australia and taken everyone of them to 8200 or 8500rpm The engine performs perfectly up there at high RPM, hitting the redline fuel cut, isn’t good for the engine, but isn’t designed to do damage, all it does is stops you from over revving the engine. Drive hard ! drive your DC5 any way you like it will handle anything you though at it (within reason) the k20 is a very strong engine, responds very well to modifications. I recon 50% of all my clients who car’s iv tuned would take there car to 8200rpm at least 3 or 4 times a day.. ;-) taking off from the lights and revving out hard is such a nice feeling.

CJL
07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
taking the piss out of someone that’s had an accident is low anyway back on topic.

As chi originally said if u gonna thrash it check the oil occasionally thats the only problem i can see as far as im concerned

Cr@ckerJ@ck
07-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Iv tuned 100’s of dc5r around Australia and taken everyone of them to 8200 or 8500rpm The engine performs perfectly up there at high RPM, hitting the redline fuel cut, isn’t good for the engine, but isn’t designed to do damage, all it does is stops you from over revving the engine. Drive hard ! drive your DC5 any way you like it will handle anything you though at it (within reason) the k20 is a very strong engine, responds very well to modifications. I recon 50% of all my clients who car’s iv tuned would take there car to 8200rpm at least 3 or 4 times a day.. ;-) taking off from the lights and revving out hard is such a nice feeling.

I agree with James 100% and nevermid the e-thugs on this forum with nothing better to do than bag out other people..
I know most DC5R owners who give this car a thrashing that would make you cringe, lol and it just loves it!!! Seriously the engine is designed to be driven to redline and back many times a day the only thing that should worry you is if driven incorrectly, i.e bouncing off the limiter lots, axle tramp and engine movement due to harsh/mismatched shifting at high rpm....other than that enjoy your vtec daily :)

andrew84tran
07-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey guys.. thanks for the advice..
Yes I am a newbie at manual. Ive only had the car for 4-5 days now but I have gotten lessons in manual before and I do know how to drive a manual properly, have just never driven on a daily basis or owned a manual car before, hence I call myself a newbie.

Ive only taken it to redline twice the 3rd day I got the car and this was done in an empty area with a long straight under controlled conditions. I would never do it any area where there are cars or people as unexpected things can occur and can potentially b very dangerous.

Anyway, I never drive this thing hard. I just had to test out what the car was capable of but Im a daily driver who takes his car to uni/work and drives like a granny most of the time anway. On occassions when I am in the mood for spirited driving I will push it abit harder. I cant afford the fuel from vtecing all the time neway! Fuel is ****ing expensive these days.

bubblecivic
07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah I'll just repeat it once again. Check your oils regularly because VTEC burns alot of it! Top it up if you have to but definitely check often. Rev cuts off at 8200rpm so try shifting just below that, I don't think your making power after that rev range anyway!

And Yes. Petrol is not looking very good atm. lol

$1.25/L yay!

wynode
07-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I think what the other are trying to say is to learn how to drive properly........then unleash the power of yoru engine.

(with no offence intended to the people posting here)