PDA

View Full Version : HELP: d16y8 into EF civic

incoming
06-08-2005, 07:31 PM
i need help with swapping a d16y8 into an EF civic

can i use the stock mounts from the EF, specifically the front cross member or do i need new mounts??

ive searched OH and HT but theres jack all info

Kawasaki
07-08-2005, 07:30 AM
I believe any D series engine will use ur stock mounts

VT3C
07-08-2005, 06:47 PM
yeah if your 'EF' has a D-series motor, use a combination of Y8 engine-side mounts/brackets and your 'EF' chassis-side mounts/brackets.

More of a concern though would be converting an OBD0 civic (if was PGMFI) to run an OBD2 motor. Wiring and fuel delivery nightmares !!!!

incoming
08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
what sort of problems do u mean
i saw abit of info on HT

hard to find this type of info but thanks for the response guys

VT3C
08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
no problems, dont get me wrong you CAN do the swap, it just isnt the easiest..

Aussie 'EF' civic's (ED?) are all carby and if they have ANY ECU to monitor emmisions etc it would be OBD0.. the D16Y8 is OBD2a and PGMFI (Fuel injected).

A fuel injected motor needs to have a full motor and chassis wiring harness not to mention a fuel-injected motor needs higher-flow and constant pressure fuel delivery through use of a PGMFI fuel-tank-pump, Larger fuel lines (and return flow lines) etc.

having said this, heaps of people have swapped PGMFI motors into aussie 'EF's.. and Carby EG Breezes and GL's.. just means more screwing around and more labour time/money.

An option i'd look into is finding a JDM frontcut of an old DOHC ZC motor running a dual-carb setup (115PS). easier to swap in terms of all fuel lines and wiring etc, plus you could go old school and fit some larger aftermarket carbys etc.. interesting.

egSi
08-08-2005, 02:56 PM
is there also a prob with the y8 under the bonnet?

or is clearance ok? sorry im not 100% in the know :rolleyes:

incoming
08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
VT3C:
im actually helping my mate
he got the motor for free along with ecu, gearbox, loom
yeah the EF was carby so its gona be a bish converting to EFI
sounds like its gona fun

thanks buddy

Kawasaki
08-08-2005, 07:14 PM
this is one of those friend of a friend things :D.

He has a d16y8 in his ED and from what he told me he retained his original d15b gearbox. I believe the clearance is fine as he didnt mention anything but we only talked for a short while.

Hope some of that helps

Weq
09-08-2005, 11:58 AM
convert to odb1 and it'll be easier imo. u need an efi tank or external fuel pump to get it going. if u need a stock intake fuel pump, give me a yell

incoming
29-11-2005, 08:51 AM
guys more help needed

heres the story... the motor (d16y8) is from a EH civic (eg sedan)
its going into EF civic... the engine mounts are from the EH

the EF + motor is at the mechanics, and he reckons the mounts are wrong...
i havent spoken to the mechanic to ask him what mounts wont fit yet, but i swear someone put up a thread about this swap not to long ago...

i been searching for 2 hours now and i cant find it... H-T aint very helpful either (damn yanks)

the mounts from the EH should fit into the EF with no problems right?

egSi
29-11-2005, 09:55 AM
if the motor is out of a eh then i think u have a d16y1 not y8. so its obd01 and the mounts should be OK.