PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smoke from vtec?

edmond23
08-08-2005, 12:03 AM
hay guys im just wondering if its normal for the exhaust to blow out some smoke when i engage into vtec.i don't vtec it all the time, only at time 4 fun all depending on petrol prices but i realesed dat smoke comes out some times, its not like black smoke. any ideas if dis is normal or is dere sum fing wrong wid my ek4. thanks dudes

zoopsta
08-08-2005, 12:08 AM
what colour is it?

bluey? whitey?

edmond23
08-08-2005, 01:36 AM
hrmm just normal whitish is guess

barefootbonzai
08-08-2005, 10:31 AM
If you use shell optimax, this is very normal.

elim
08-08-2005, 01:23 PM
I get smoke from BP Ultimate (this is all i have ever used)... and noticed under my tip there's black stains.. but I'm assuming this is normal from hitting vtec

ILLIN
08-08-2005, 01:35 PM
This is quite normal for High RPM engines... I had the same thing when I owned a coupe Vti-R... Same thing happened with my mates 20V corolla above 5000rpm

I miss Vtec!!!

Civic Type R
08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I get smoke from BP Ultimate (this is all i have ever used)... and noticed under my tip there's black stains.. but I'm assuming this is normal from hitting vtec

same here :thumbsup:

Theres nothing wrong with blowing smoke. Only if its real bad then you will have worn your piston compression rings. But yeah a little smoke is ok. Im used to it but just keep an eye on your oil level.

SINISTR
08-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Guys... 'theres nothing wrong with blowing smoke - or its quiet normal over 5000rpm' type comments are actually incorrect!

YES - high performance motors will blow smoke - but it will very likely be 'black.bluey' colour which means there is ALOT of fuel going through the injectors which is normal for those cars.
On stock/mildly modified cars - blue smoke means your tune is a bit out - possibly a leaky injector, retarded timing etc.

On a STOCK car (which by the sounds of it this is a Stock car) - a WHITE coloured smoke means its got worn rings on the pistons and its letting oil through - it will only get WORSE.

A little smoke may be disconcearning but it shouldn't be ignored! Sooner or later this small smoke will be a puffing steam train and a cause to getting pulled over and having a working order put on the car.

How many KMS has your car done? and what type of oil are you using?

BTW: this isn't a comment to start a flaming game but its just bringing attention to the fact that 'smoke' out of the exhaust isn't a good thing in how ever amount it occurs and shouldn't be ignored.

Civic Type R
08-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Guys... 'theres nothing wrong with blowing smoke.

stock cars will blow smoke on cold mornings too. Mine did it with the old B16A2 with less than 50,000kms on the clock.

urbanracer.com
08-08-2005, 03:14 PM
my 2c.. im not a mechanic or anything..

i get a lil bit of black smoke when i vtec it... i spoke to a few friends and honda service who told me its normal.. just my car is running rich (which was covered on the above posts)

i was told if its white.. then its bad. So if it is.. go get it checked out!

SINISTR
08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
You will get a small put off Black.Blue fuel smoke when hitting vtec - its because the valves open up more for longer - more fuel goes in than its burnt - thats normal.

SINISTR
08-08-2005, 03:18 PM
stock cars will blow smoke on cold mornings too. Mine did it with the old B16A2 with less than 50,000kms on the clock.

Adam - thats NOT smoke - thats CONDENSATION inside your mufflers... dont mix the two.

ILLIN
08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the insight SINISTR... I'll keep it in mind next time I buy a VTec or i-VTec...

I actually noticed that my B16A2 consumed a bit of oil... I would've had probably less than half by the time I serviced by car which was at 5000km intervals...

But Rob (Hanny's) told me it was normal for me to blow smoke...

I miss my EM1.. EK1 just ain't the same...

Civic Type R
08-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Adam - thats NOT smoke - thats CONDENSATION inside your mufflers... dont mix the two.

duh .. lol ! but you're missing the point mike. :)
What we know as condensation may be considered as smoke to others. Im just letting him know that sometimes its not as bad as you think. :thumbsup:

SINISTR
08-08-2005, 03:34 PM
duh .. lol ! but you're missing the point mike. :)
What we know as condensation may be considered as smoke to others. Im just letting him know that sometimes its not as bad as you think. :thumbsup:

don't you think tho - if you're giving that type of advice you should mention maybe that 'condensation smoke is ok' rather than just generalising and saying 'a little bit of smoke is ok'...

;)

Civic Type R
08-08-2005, 03:57 PM
I had my mum and another friend call me at work on seperate occasions and tell me i was blowing smoke when i drove off in the morning. These were cold mornings when i parked out on the road many years ago. Some people dont know the difference ..

SINISTR
08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
I had my mum and another friend call me at work on seperate occasions and tell me i was blowing smoke when i drove off in the morning. These were cold mornings when i parked out on the road many years ago. Some people dont know the difference ..

you just reinforced my point above :p

edmond23
08-08-2005, 06:31 PM
How many KMS has your car done? and what type of oil are you using?

ive done 86xxx km on my car, i get my car service at honda so im guessing they use honda engine oil.. car is stock... and i use shell optimax. the smoke i think is kinda greyish white i think,.. hard 2 tell in rear vision mirror.. but thanks 4 so many replys dudes..

z3lda
08-08-2005, 07:09 PM
what its its brown smoke. lol. i have brown smoke. not black, not white, note blue. Brown!

SINISTR
08-08-2005, 07:17 PM
what its its brown smoke. lol. i have brown smoke. not black, not white, note blue. Brown!

Id say your car is constipated!! :D

no idea...

waymad
08-08-2005, 07:30 PM
i have done 160000 on my engine its running fine no problems but i did notice when iam in different car and my car is in front of me that my car does blow smoke but it only a puff of black smoke i think and my mates h22a does the same thing when vtec cuts in i use honda high performance oil

T-onedc2
08-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes it's quite normal, can be two reasons, cabon build-up in exhaust if not revved hard for a while will all blow out at once, but I think most engines especially performance engines are programmed to run richer at higher revs under full throttle to reduce the risk of leaning out and causing detonation which can damage pistons and ring etc.
Someone please be kind enough to correct or confirm this please,

elim
08-08-2005, 09:48 PM
same here :thumbsup:

Theres nothing wrong with blowing smoke. Only if its real bad then you will have worn your piston compression rings. But yeah a little smoke is ok. Im used to it but just keep an eye on your oil level.

Yes do keep your eye on your oil level !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't ask why lol