PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Release Bearing... Exedy Hd Install Question.

VT3C
09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
I am having Exedy HD clutch installed tommorow (B16A EG5).

I pre-ordered an OEM Honda (NACHI*) Clutch Release Bearing (~$55) for use when installing the Exedy Clutch, however the Exedy Clutch Kit came with a KOYO Clutch Release Bearing.

Now which is better to use ? the OEM Bearing or the KOYO item ???

I wouldnt mind store credit at PRESTIGE HONDA for the OEM bearing cause I need cam seals etc.. but obviously I want to use the best possible bearing for the application.

Thanks for your opinions below - please justify anything you say though with a reason..

* interestingly, NACHI used to be da bomb bearrings for your sk8 back in the late 80's/early 90's.. they pissed allover Bones Swiss Precision bearings and NMB's etc.. and now I find a NACHI effort from the HONDA factory..
JDM QUALITAH YO!!

wynode
09-08-2005, 05:17 PM
I'd probably go with an OEM release bearing.

tinkerbell
09-08-2005, 10:21 PM
IMO - the clutch will wear out before the release bearing...

but who knows?!?!

VT3C
10-08-2005, 01:22 PM
wyn.. yeah I was thinking that initially, but then I was thinking that perhaps there was some difference in the design and the KOYO one was meant for the exedy clutch thus why it came with the clutch, not an optional part.

tink.. yeah either bearing will prob outlast the clutch ;)

I asked the shop to use the KOYO one so that I can return the OEM one for store credit at honda. both are made in JAPAN so should be quality.

I'll post results up after I pick up the car this afternoon ;)

ECU-MAN
11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
id go oem as well

good luck

VT3C
11-08-2005, 11:02 PM
got car back today... went with the KOYO bearing..

had them properly install the rear tranny mount/bracket also so now EVERYTHING is very good (touch wood).

Flushed box and new Honda MTF, the ITR shifter and linkages are so.. so nice now ohh man i am so happy.

The clutch itself (exedy HD) is very nice.
as is claims, it is about 30% biteryer then stock, which is fine, but the pressure plate springs are nice and light compared with the old oem item which allows for fast, and light clutch movements.. just need to wait for the clutch disc to wear in before I can hard-shift.

interestingly, some of you may remember me asking about a noticable dip in power on the RSM's dyno curve at at about 7500 resulting in a peak power at over 8000RPM.

now with new clutch, the dip is gone and peak power is at just over 7500RPM.. it would suggest the clutch was slipping just as it was getting to peak power before. i hope to enjoy the benefits of this on the street.

SPECIAL THANKS TO LEO (HONDAR) for supplying the clutch and getting it to me (in Perth) within 3 working days of payment.. once again great service etc.

bennjamin
11-08-2005, 11:11 PM
interestingly, some of you may remember me asking about a noticable dip in power on the RSM's dyno curve at at about 7500 resulting in a peak power at over 8000RPM.

now with new clutch, the dip is gone and peak power is at just over 7500RPM.. it would suggest the clutch was slipping just as it was getting to peak power before. i hope to enjoy the benefits of this on the street..

Mmm very interesting....alittle unrelated but my stock lil civic has had very poor performance over the last 6 months and steadily decreasing - i mean , i know the clutch disc is almost bare metal ( myself and the admin took it out many moons back) but it will be quite interesting on a mental perspective how it "regains" lost hp :)

bizee_1
14-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Just had to respond to this.
yeah i remember those bearings, that is a while back...thanks for the trip down memory lane.

* interestingly, NACHI used to be da bomb bearrings for your sk8 back in the late 80's/early 90's.. they pissed allover Bones Swiss Precision bearings and NMB's etc.. and now I find a NACHI effort from the HONDA factory..
JDM QUALITAH YO!!