PDA

View Full Version : Which ECU

CivicOnBoost
16-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Looking at purchasing a new ecu for a civic i will be purchasing in a week or so and am wondering which brands are the best: Haltech, Hondata, Microtech and the benefits of each.

Engine basically has the following mods
O-ringed block
JE Connecting Rods
JE Forged Pistons and Rings
Ported and polished head
GARRET GT 35 ball bearing turbo
BLITZ blow off valve
5-ZIGEN border exhaust system
Custom Intercoller by CYPHER Industries
SARD Sports EX air filter
CRANECAMS PS 91 coil
NOLOGY Hotwires ignition leads
4 X 40Hp Injectors controlled by INJEC EM-1

Which ECU would best suit my application? and wat is a rough price

Spoon-Accord
16-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Hondata all the way buddy...
it cost's abit more..
but hey.. u wont have alot of problemo's

ken

vti-2
16-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Nice list of mods.

Well, i'm no mechanic so don't rip into me for what i'm about to say. From my knowledge and from what i've learnt from friends that have used various ECU's, here's my humble opinion.

Microtech is reliable, has heaps of features (tuning points etc) and has a huge resale market. There are heaps of guys in Melbourne running Microtech's and i know of a few cars that have run 10's and 11's (street driven cars) running a Microtech ECU.

Can't really comment on Haltech's. Never known someone that used one.

Hondata? Hmmm, well, i'm sure when James (BLKCRX) sees this post he will tell you all about it.

Motec are good as well, a close friend of mine had one in his car and even though it was an older model, it helped the car run a low 12sec pass.

Have you also considered Autronic? I may as well ask if you've considered getting a loan though. :D

Good luck mate.

poid
17-02-2004, 08:16 AM
CivicOnBoost in your position i would figure out which tuner you are going to have tune the car, and then go with the ECU he is most comfortable in using. Each of the ECU's you mentioned is more than capable of running your car brilliantly, but the end result will depend on the tuner

Autronic isnt that expensive Vic, around 2k would buy one last time i checked :)

shecomb
17-02-2004, 10:28 AM
I have Autronic however I can't comment on it as my setup is incomplete. I have only heard good reviews of it, i will let you know how good it is after it's tuned.

Oh yeah, it cost about $2k.

vti-2
17-02-2004, 10:55 AM
I have Autronic however I can't comment on it as my setup is incomplete. I have only heard good reviews of it, i will let you know how good it is after it's tuned.

Oh yeah, it cost about $2k.

Is that the cheaper Autronic or a full blown one? I thought Autronic was very expensive, like $3k for an ECU. :?:

CHU85
17-02-2004, 10:58 AM
hey man, since u are on the coast, go down to Matthew Spry from PITS in ernest. He used to work for chiptorque but now owns his own place. I got a microtech from hardcore and he's doin the fitting.
NIce setup u've got there wat hp u expecting?

poid
17-02-2004, 11:12 AM
The cheaper autronic is about 2k, i think the more expensive is 2.5k (SMC and SM2, cant remember which is which). The differences are mainly things like number of outputs to run ancilliaries etc, slightly different software (which looks quite good, i've a look at it). A honda should only need the cheaper version.

A mate of mine has an autronic running his rather agro VK commodore, runs the thing beautifully (its about 450hp NA). Another has autronic running a lexus quad cam V8 in a Ford Fairlane...again its runs smooth as silk.

A good ECU if you have the tuner that can take advantage of it.

But as i said before, most of the ECU's on the market now are quite good...so much is tuner dependant.

BLKCRX
17-02-2004, 12:14 PM
I did a comparison of many ECU’s a few weeks ago.. read the following post

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2915&start=0

or http://www.hondata.com.au/ecu_comparison_page.htm

Seeing your in QLD I would suggestion you talk to Nick from APC-Racing , they have the fastest turbo Honda in QLD and were the first workshop with a 10sec Honda in Australia.

There website is www.apc-racing.com Phone :- (07) 3341 7223
They also are my authorized tuners and resellers for Hondata in QLD, nicks a great guy call him up give him a call.

Regards James

DynoDave
17-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Ok this is some prices
Hondata read James post
Autronic SMC $1925 SM2 $2800 + install and tune from $700
Microtech LT8 $1095 + install and tune from $500
Haltech E6k $1595 + install and tune from $700
EMS Stinger $995 + install and tune from $600
EMS 8860 $1595 + install and tune from $700
I am a dealer for all of these products and do not push one over the other unless it is in a Honda then I have one choice Hondata, which is why I became a dealer of the product and VALUE FOR MONEY IS SECOND TOO NONE.
Regards Dyno Dave

CivicOnBoost
17-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Hmm well it seems like Hondata is the go, i will call nick at APC and have a chat to him about prices and stuff.

Umm hoping to get around 250bhp, the car used to be chucky chandra's 4CC and had a dyno proven 240bhp @ 18psi, but i am unsure as to what ecu etc he was running to achieve that.

Currently only has a boost controller and haltech computer to run the extra injectors. So i want to upgrade to improve the cars reliability and tunability.

shecomb
17-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Is that the cheaper Autronic or a full blown one? I thought Autronic was very expensive, like $3k for an ECU. :?:

It is the SMC

DynoDave
22-02-2004, 10:32 PM

It is the SMC

Autronic prices in my post above.
Regards Dyno Dave

vti-2
22-02-2004, 10:53 PM

It is the SMC

Autronic prices in my post above.
Regards Dyno Dave

Thanks Dave.

WPN.22R
25-02-2004, 09:20 AM
DYNO DAVE!! done the tuning on my car! (prelude h22a turbo matt sent me to you!!)

anyways i run the microtech lt8 and am very happy with it!