PDA

View Full Version : Is there a problem with having an image in your signature?

DarkCoupe
16-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Just wanted to get your opinion guys ...

a moderator told me to remove the image because of 'bandwidth'

my response was basically:

the computer caches the image by default so once you download it (and it's like less than 10 kb so it's tiny) it will be cached and you NEVER download it again (hence no apparent bandwidth issue from the user end)

and it isn't uploaded to where ozhonda.com is hosted, so it wouldn't affect the hosting server's space or internet link to serve others (so no issues from the host server end)

btw I am not trying to be a smart-ass or difficult (the image has ALREADY been removed from my signature)

I just didn't think 'bandwidth' made sense so I thought I'd ask rather than just be a yes-man.

Any of your thoughts (moderators or others) would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys! :)

Rowie
16-02-2004, 08:44 PM
moving to site discussion

Rowie
16-02-2004, 08:47 PM
like i said in PM.

I think It mostly has something to do with bandwidth for forum members or something! And to keep the forum fast and reliable.

Rowie
16-02-2004, 08:47 PM
any input Wyn ?

DarkCoupe
16-02-2004, 08:49 PM
like I said guys ... read my explanation above ...

Tell me what you think. I am not trying to be difficult .. just thought the use of the word 'bandwidth' was odd.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

XXpl0Sive
16-02-2004, 08:54 PM
I think it's the fact that it clutters everything up. eg. one person's post takes up half the window due to his/her graphic.

For dial-up users, it takes them a while to load each page.

Next, you might argue that we could offer an option for users to 'disable' pictures in signatures for their own benefit, however, this is a car forum and many users, unlike yourself, are computer-illeterate.

Rowie
16-02-2004, 08:55 PM
also there is nothing worse than having linked images in signatures that are broken, or really slow servers. It just slows everything down.

And This could come under the term 'Bandwidth' i guess. If it doesnt, use your imagination!

DarkCoupe
16-02-2004, 08:57 PM
alright guys. I guess the signature is a way of me showing how proud I am of owning my car (as with most people here who are passionate about their car)

if you can offer a work-around, that'd be great. Thanks.

vti-2
16-02-2004, 09:10 PM
I don't think there is a 'work-around' mate. Pics in signatures not only slow things down when browsing the forums but clutter the forums as Ben said. We don't allow them and probably never will. I've seen many forums that allow pics and animated gifs and not only does it make the forum hard to read but it screws with bandwidth.

IMO, a forum is there for information and discussion. Images in signatures will only stuff around the appearance, make navigation harder (and slower) and piss off dial up users.

Your point about cache is valid, BUT, if you are like me and clean out cache and history everyday, pics in signatures starts to get really frustrating for 56kers.

Just my 2c.

DarkCoupe
16-02-2004, 09:12 PM
fair nuff. I compramised. have a look :D

end of the day I enjoy being here and I want everyone else's experience to be good also. If that's how you like to run this ship, that's fine :D

vti-2
Just to add to that, if you want to show off your car feel free to use the Album that we provide. You can post 2 pics of your car to your personal gallery for others to see. :)

XXpl0Sive
We have a gallery section, and you're more than welcome to upload pics of your ride :) And you can even put a link in your signature to it.

Otherwise I can help you make an avatar like mine..

DarkCoupe
16-02-2004, 09:13 PM
okay thanks! I will look into it :)

wynode
16-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi DarkCoupe,

The reason that images aren't allowed in signatures are NOT because of bandwidth (as you said the pictures are linked to another site where they are hosted). The reason is that people end up having all sizes of pictures and makes it hard to distinguish forum content from pictures in signatures and things get very messy.

Sure we could say that 'certain' pictures sizes are allowed, but it becomes impossible to moderate and 'measure' the size of people sig pictures.

So the easy and proffessional way to do it is to dissalow signatures and make the forum look more informative.

Hope that clears things up.

-Win

DarkCoupe
16-02-2004, 09:17 PM
understood wynode. it's been changed. :D