PDA

View Full Version : ipod adpater for euro luxury 05

madjace
10-08-2005, 09:20 AM
just wonderin , I rad the thread about the SCHND3 ( dont know if thats the right number but it must be close )) i want to hook my ipod up to my euro luxury and control the ipod from the steering controls and hu controls , can any one tell me what product i need for this and also if any one has actually got it to work . The ice link guys wont say for sure it will work so i need to find some one who has actually got it working

cheers

blkeuro
10-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey man, I doubt you will ever be able to control the IPOD controls from the steering wheel controls..

madjace
10-08-2005, 10:10 AM
they say you can do it on the TSX and heaps of other cars aswell , I am actually pretty confident that it can be done ( i might have to be the guinea pig for us aussies then )

euro1978
10-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Its a tall order in my opinion and I dont know if I would be playing around with wires into the steering wheel, I am sure an airbag wheel for an accord is a couple of grand to replace if the airbag goes pop.

madjace
10-08-2005, 10:36 AM
let me give you guys a website http://www.mp3yourcar.com/productdetails.asp?productID=270

watch the video and you will understand what i am talking about

euro1978
10-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Looks nice.

There is nothing to it it seems. Just risk the $199 US + postage to order it and see if it works.

Tell us if it does and we all will be ordering it I imagine. I will anyway.

madjace
10-08-2005, 10:53 AM
yeah , i wanted to see if any one else had done it before i ordered but might just have to be the first , will let you guys know if it works etc and how well it works .

learner
10-08-2005, 12:03 PM
this device can control your ipod on the steering or HU button...
can even control DIRECT PLAYLIST ACCESS.as well as track up/down, fast-forward, rewind, and shuffle functions to be controlled from your factory radio...
http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piehon03pcpod.html

Nickt
10-08-2005, 12:13 PM
I have seen that piehon device before...it looks as though it is compatible with the Euro HU...

If you get it madjace, make sure you let us all know how it goes...I would also buy one for sure...I was about to go ahead and order the SNHOND thingy too, but that is an RCA connector which actually makes your AUX button work on your HU - no steering controls...you control through the iPod, or anything else you want to hook up via RCA cables.

The PIE is definitely the way to go.

madjace
10-08-2005, 12:41 PM
this device can control your ipod on the steering or HU button...
can even control DIRECT PLAYLIST ACCESS.as well as track up/down, fast-forward, rewind, and shuffle functions to be controlled from your factory radio...
http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piehon03pcpod.html

so are you sure that this will work with our cars ? 05 model

xframe88
10-08-2005, 02:40 PM
The PIE interface has been "coming soon" for months and months now, I would have no confidence in that product.
SNHOND3 is proven by many people here and has a suitable connector to suit the icelink. The icelink has been proven time and time again to work by tsx owners overseas, as does the snhond3.

No-one on any of the australian forums has tried the icelink yet so you will not find the re-assurance you desire, someone has to bite the bullet and try it, just as learner did with the snhond3.
I personally believe it will work perfectly, so if you simply must have steering wheel control, try it.

Do bare in mind that all you will gain is the ability to skip tracks forward and back. Is that really worth such a high price? Using the SNHOND3 you can ofcourse still use the volume up/down control on the steering wheel.
See my install method where you can very easily reach the ipod itself and do exactly the same thing.
Also be aware that some of these adapters disable the ipods front panel controls, making browsing your ipod and selecting music and absolute nightmare, the icelink does not do this.

The balls in your court, keep us posted if you buy the adapter.

madjace
10-08-2005, 03:18 PM
the new car hasnt arrived yet , i have alpine screen and dvd player in my at the moment with an ipood adapter and 40 gb ipod and it works great , dont really want to install the headunit in the euro though coz would like to keep it stock for a while any way

PERTH_EURO
10-08-2005, 03:40 PM
put your current setup into the euro. Why waste $$$ gettin it to go onto OEM deck, when ur aftermarket one will kik ass.
The money you spend on schond thingy will easily cover an install

:thumbsup:

madjace
10-08-2005, 05:43 PM
true just didnt want to rip apart a brnd new car just yet .. also the stock hu looks like it would be difficult to replace but i could put it under the hu space there

by the way what kind of rear wing is that ????/ looks hot also did you lower your car or are they 18;s ?

xframe88
10-08-2005, 08:56 PM
the wiring isnt an issue, the only issue is aesthetics, ie do you like the look of another deck added into the centre console. There is absolutely no way you can remove the existing, all you can do is add another one in the storage compartment.
There are pictures around of people that have done that, its your choice, its your car, choose your poison.

Remember, short of some complicated interfacing that I cannot explain, you will not get any steering wheel control at all with your aftermarket head unit, which seemed to be your original goal.

PERTH_EURO
11-08-2005, 12:02 PM
ok will stick to topic firstly

This is my centre console with an aftermarket mounting kit from stinger.
You should be able to pick one up for $50 or so.
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9861/husmall6iw.jpg
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7494/img23212ds.jpg

Get one, take your deck, wire it in hook up ur ipod and ur away.
(you wont have steering wheel controls, but how hard is it when the controls are near the gearstick?)
Keeps the factory look too.

I have seen another mounting kit that actually mounts single din up where current display screen is. They remove the screen, the factory head unit and replace basically the top section. It looked CRAP, you lost the temp display etc. NASTY.

[OFF TOPIC:]
Rear wing is factory (has now been removed and is for sale)
Has been lowered on koni struts and king springs superlows
Yes they are 18's, I hate them and if anyone is interested in buying them let me know

stephen8512
11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Yes they are 18's, I hate them and if anyone is interested in buying them let me know

???? :confused: u hatin ur 18's? u gonna go for something smaller timbo???

PERTH_EURO
11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
nah the style. Every VN comodore has got em over here now.
Just became to common.
I may go to a set of 19's this time.

learner
11-08-2005, 04:50 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20825
i am the one tat do the first test to use SNHOND3... it works...
so this time should be somebody's turn.... pls

but i think it should work really... cos is just the same logic as the SNHOND3.
as the SNHOND3 can control the after market cd changer... and this one http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piehon03pcpod.html can control the ipod.

so are you sure that this will work with our cars ? 05 model

madjace
11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
doesnt look like they will ship tp australia , i am sure there will be a way though

xframe88
12-08-2005, 10:59 AM
With a bit of hunting you can always find someone to send it over, but fact is the pie unit just isnt on the market yet.
IceLink is, and is avilable from an australian dealer, albeit at a bloody expensive price.
Id search the US for a better deal myself.

05Euro
08-10-2005, 07:35 PM
With a bit of hunting you can always find someone to send it over, but fact is the pie unit just isnt on the market yet.
IceLink is, and is avilable from an australian dealer, albeit at a bloody expensive price.
Id search the US for a better deal myself.

I just bought the Dension Ice Link Plus from the US and had it installed in my Euro by Audiotech in Canberra. I use the stock headunit and the device works perfectly.

All steering wheel controls work, and you can directly access the first 5 playlists on the iPod using the 5 and 6 buttons on the headunit (5 goes back one playlist, 6 goes forward one). There is access to other playlists and songs, but it requires a combination of looking at the iPod screen and pressing buttons on the headunit.

I highly recommend this product to anyone wanting to use their iPod in a Euro with the stock headunit.

I purchased the model with just an iPod connector on it (rather than a cradle which are limited to particular iPod models). The Ice Link Plus supports a range of iPods including the new Nano. Check out http://www.dension.com/ for details.

Now the important bit. The model you need to buy is the I20-HONDA-R3. I purchased online from http://enfigpics.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html

They currently charge US$189.99 plus around US$20 postage (arrives in under a week).

I took a risk purchasing this product, but it paid off. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

vex66
05-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info, 05Euro. I have just sent off my order. I can't stand changing my cd's as it seems to take forever & I love the IPods.

Mr.P
07-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Just found this whilist reading the threads...

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

It's a Harmon Kardon iPOD adapter. For those of you looking for a stock HU upgrade, another option to look into ^^

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/images/groupshot.jpg

nitro
14-11-2005, 11:38 AM
I've got a Pioneer HU in my other (non Honda) car, and I ALMOST bought the Pioneer iPod adapter the other day, but while the guy was writing up the paperwork, he showed me one that was setup... And I've gotta say I'm now completely convinced that most iPod adapters are a step backwards (I've already AUX in on the pioneer)... Apple spent a lot of time and effort to make the iPod interface as good as it is, and there's just no way you can get close to that on a car stereo. I found trying to navigate around the iPod EXTREMELY clunky on the Pioneer adapter, and that was with a touch screen HU!!! I can't imagine that any of the others are much better...

So, getting to the point, I'm now no longer interested in an iPod adapter for the Euro ... UNLESS someone finds one that still allows control from the iPod itself - this will always be the best way to control it.

So, unless I can find something else, I'll probably order an IceLink Lite or two, I know I can wire one up to my Pioneer HU, and that will mean the iPod will pause when I turn the car off, which is easier than me having to pause it manually... If anyone can come up with some pinouts for the Euro AUX connector it should be pretty easy to wire up the IceLink Lite for that too...

Mr.P
14-11-2005, 01:55 PM
the harmon kardon ipod adapter provides its own LCD panel and control unit for the ipod.
Harmon Kardon (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=495243&postcount=24)

nitro
14-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I saw that, but I'm still not convinced it will be much better than the others... Actually, after doing some reading on the iPod remote control protocol, I don't believe you can make a iPod adapter that a) works very well, or b) allows direct control from the iPod... the best you can do while retaining control on the iPod itself is enable play/pause and track skip... that's it, any more requires the iPod to go into Advanced Remote mode and locks out the iPod controls... and given the iPod interfaces to accessories via a 19.2kbs serial link, it's never going to be fast to search through the whole library... ANY adapter will work ok track skipping through a short playlist, but that's it.

BTW, if anyone's got a AUX adapter they're willing to open up and photograph we can probably work out how to make one for $10 - I'm sure it'll be stupidly simple, the money in a SNHOND03 is for the stacker control... and I've figured out how to build the IceLink Lite functionatility into my Pioneer AUX adapter for about 50c :)

Nickt
23-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Nitro if you can "create" an AUX adapter for the Euro HU so that you can run an Ipod on it, you have your first customer right here!!!

I agree with you, it is much easier to control an ipod using the ipod controls than anything else...my bro has ipod interface on his HU and it is bloody hard to use!

I would rather set up a cradle for the ipod and use the toggle wheel anyday!

eurotrash
23-11-2005, 07:32 PM
answer = snhond3 + cradle + ipod remote.......HEY PRESTO!