PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to get under a lowered car?

DomenEK
10-08-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm due for an oil change very soon, and since it'll be the first time I do it myself, I was wondering what would be the safest way to get under a lowered car to change the oil and filter. car stands?

Thanks in advance.

nEUROtic
10-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeh stands for sure. Cost like 40 bucks. Don't **** around with jacks.

ekslut
10-08-2005, 02:52 PM
yeah, use stands. This is what I do and I think its the safest way, except for ramps, but doubt you would get up with a lowered car

dc2dc2dc2
10-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeh stands for sure. Cost like 40 bucks. Don't **** around with jacks.

:thumbsup:

mcdare
10-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Use stands.
Also get a couple of heavyweights musclemen from the nearby gym to hold the car up while its on stands... pays to be extra careful.
Helmet... always a must.
Googles.. in case the oil gets into your eyes.
Flame-retardant suit... freak fires.

ok, back to reality.. do you guys think bricks will do the job too?

MrPlow
10-08-2005, 02:57 PM
I always need to drive up on some wood - i can even get my car on bricks it too low... then from the wood i jack it up and put it on stands.... i also leave the trolly jacks there for extra support...

euro1978
10-08-2005, 03:01 PM
like he said

First on to wooden blocks so its high enough to jack. Then stands for sure.

I have seen a couple of cars fall off jacks before and what ever you do.

Never use the scissor jacks for anything except for changing a tyre if you get a flat. They can collapse quite easily.

Zdster
10-08-2005, 06:10 PM
like he said

First on to wooden blocks so its high enough to jack. Then stands for sure.

I have seen a couple of cars fall off jacks before and what ever you do.

Never use the scissor jacks for anything except for changing a tyre if you get a flat. They can collapse quite easily.

I agree with this. Plus the scissor jacks take forever to get the car up high enough. I also like to put some tyres that I have laying around underneath just to be extra sure once the car is set up.

Steer^Gimic
10-08-2005, 06:18 PM
and for added safety, put your mate under there for the re-assurance that me just may catch the car if it falls.

mini_s2000
10-08-2005, 09:50 PM
ahh so thats why u always tell me to stay under the car!!! lol

Eclipsor
10-08-2005, 10:01 PM
omg driving on wood first to get it high enough. Pure genius!! I'm always screwing around with the scissor jack then the hydraulic etc...

superR
10-08-2005, 10:43 PM
if it was my head under 1 tone of steel, i would use a set of car ramps which elevate the car about 400mm from the ground. i have to take my front bar off to use them, but hey, ive still got my head dont i!

viperx
10-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Use stands.
Also get a couple of heavyweights musclemen from the nearby gym to hold the car up while its on stands... pays to be extra careful.
Helmet... always a must.
Googles.. in case the oil gets into your eyes.
Flame-retardant suit... freak fires.

ok, back to reality.. do you guys think bricks will do the job too?

Bricks may crack...

I use two stands plus a hydraulic jack

Chi
10-08-2005, 10:46 PM
I use jack stands, and I got lots of steelie wheels and i place about 1 or 2 on each side underneath for safe measure.

EG5[KRT]
11-08-2005, 02:32 AM
why not use a jack with a piece of wood on top.

then put jack stand underneath

then over to the other side and do the same.

if jacking front pull up hand brake reallly high

if jacking up bak put gear in reverse to stop from moving.

Nav2k
12-08-2005, 10:26 AM
i use a scissorjack to get under the side skirts of the car cos the trolley jack wont fit underneath...so use scissorjack a bit then slide in trolley jack under the kframe at the front.or diff at the rear..jack it up using the hydraulic trolley jack, then lower it on some stands where the jackpoints are on each side..

lowering it back down is quite annoying...put in trolley jack at kframe or diff, raise it a bit, remove stands, lower it slowly onto a scissor jack thats not too high, then bring the trolley jack out, undo scissor jack.

all this is done without me getting under the car..just my arms reaching for the trolley handle..until the stands r up.

while doing all this i just have bricks or a rock at the rear wheels if jacking fronts, or other way round with handbrake tightly up.

DomenEK
12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Ok, since I'm changing the oil + filter, is it going to make my job more difficult if I only put the front end up on stands? i.e. does the car need to be level to change the oil?

viperx
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
no- you're not gonna create such a huge angle its gonna change the drainage (it's never complete anyway

syphex
13-08-2005, 01:29 AM
changing oil etc. is always dont best if u can just get under the car on a steep bit and get a spanner to the sump bolt.
or use as little jacking up as possible.

gnx1987
13-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Jacking the car at the back by putting the jack under the dif would be a bit hard if you've got a front wheeler. And if and when you do jack up the back put some blocks of wood or whatever in front of the wheels don't just rely on the reverse gear. Also when you but the jack stands under the car make sure they're on the designated lift points. The angle of the car shouldn't matter when the oil comes out because the sump plug is likely to be at the back (or really the side of the engine that faces the back) of the engine (it is on mine). You should be able to reach the oil filter from under the car. Don't forget to wipe a bit of oil on the rubber ring on the oil filter before you put the new filter back on.

vividjazz
13-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Don't work under a car while its held up by just a jack or jacks. Put it on 4 stands after jacking.

If the jack gets knocked or just releases its not pretty. Its hard to bench press a car.