PDA

View Full Version : Review - LSD Motorsport Clutch and Flywheel

Eclipsor
10-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Firstly I'd like to thank the team at LSD Motorsport. You may have seen their banner up the top of the site. Great service and the package was delivered in 4 days from the US.

If you look at the site, the items I purchased were the street disc clutch plate with heavy duty pressure plate and 12lb flywheel. The clutch kit came with a Nachi throwout bearing and allignment tool.

The results:
I was coming from quite a severe clutch with virtually no pedal play which was also slipping. I was hoping for an easier and smoother to use clutch while still retaining good grab when I need it. After getting it installed today I think it has achieved this. It is very easy to get a take off as smooth as an oem. I havn't done any hard changes yet before it beds in I will update after another 150km's or so.

The results of installing the lightened flywheel have lived up to my expectations. I'm probably being paranoid but I havn't revved up too far because of the new clutch yet. But the engine just feels more responsive. Although the actual weight difference between the flywheels isn't that great. It gives the illusion that the car has lost quite a bit of weight. I especially noticed it when the car was full of people. Didn't feel like it was struggling as much.

As far as a downside to the lightened flywheel. Well I havn't experienced any yet. The revs do seem to drop off a bit quicker, but not so much so that it makes shifting jerky. *edit: After some more driving today I have noticed the idle is a bit funky. Jumps around a bit. Might have just emphasized a need to clean up some valves.

Hope this helps someone's decision to take the plunge. I don't know if I would have replaced just the flywheel, simpley because of cost. However, if you are doing the clutch I think it is very worthwhile. Any questions fire away.

s3ph
11-08-2005, 04:57 PM
nice one...

TeMp
11-08-2005, 08:54 PM
What was stock flywheel weight? And whats 12 lbs in kg? :p

Eclipsor
11-08-2005, 09:06 PM
12lb is about 5.4kg. I think stock is 19lb or 8.6kg.

TeMp
11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey man thats a big difference in weight! Should be damn noticable.

btw nice write up