PDA

View Full Version : Need of guidance to lower my EG

angel
10-08-2005, 11:53 PM
:confused: Its my first time to drop my EG, its a daily driver car. iwant to lower it by one finger from the fender lip, i got told by my mechanic that the aftermarket lowering springs have a standard drop of 35mm, is there any shop who costumize/make their own lowering springs. I got told to cut the factory springs to get the desired height and it wont affect the daily drivability on the street. My budget is only for the springs. How should i approach this scenario? Thank you all for your time :o

Sitwy
10-08-2005, 11:57 PM
u can get a lower spring to low your eg, as I done mine b4, but u need to be aware of the rear spring. coz it won't sit too low.
and remember dun cut your factory spring, it affect your shock life as well as handeling

just to let u know it cost me $160 to only install a set of spring to my factory shock!!!

angel
11-08-2005, 12:05 AM
SITWY: Thanks for the reply, how low now is your eg and what brand of spring did you use? Are they from Oz?

Sitwy
11-08-2005, 12:08 AM
the front wheel between the fender only can put one finger in! but the rear can put 2 to 3 finger ....OMG

yes the spring is from aus. apex ... yellow spring....
BE AWARE it is not apexi^.^
I think kings spring is not bad with the super low one

paulosportz
11-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Cut springs? wont effect daily driveability? your mech said that? dude do not cut them lol

just get a set of kings springs and it should be prefect height

angel
11-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Tomorrow, im goin to shop around and look who installs KingSpring super low, hopefully by next week, i can get my civic lowered. And No Cutting.

paulosportz
11-08-2005, 12:56 AM
good luck and show us some pictures of the final result
=]

zoopsta
12-08-2005, 11:29 AM
when you lower the car with say, king springs super lows, does it affect your stock shocks life and the car's handling?

pgclee
12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
just don't cut your std springs..change it..if you wan your car to look good, there will always be a risk of scraping your front lip...35mm is not that low...hehe..

SiR JDM
13-08-2005, 03:32 AM
King springs are fine for lowering... but i highly recommend LOW, as apposed to superlow.

This is what superlow can do to your poor EG :( ... my old eg suffered because of them :(

http://members.optusnet.com.au/%7Eakaisen/personal/civic/6.jpg

yourfather
13-08-2005, 04:06 AM
King springs are fine for lowering... but i highly recommend LOW, as apposed to superlow.

This is what superlow can do to your poor EG :( ... my old eg suffered because of them :(

dude, that looks effing mad!

SiR JDM
13-08-2005, 04:11 AM
hahah thanks dude but it was so low.. 4cm clearance

Going through a bumpy gravel carpark my gearbox actually hit the ground! i could feel the vibrations in the stick.. it was aweful i felt like i was slowly killing my baby haha :( they didn't last long

angel
18-08-2005, 12:27 AM
:wave: Thanks everybody for sharing all your Honda knowledge, i ended up getting it low using Pedders Sports ryder Spring together with the standard honda shocks, someone did the job for me, he owns his mechanical shop. Car look good, the front wheels does scrape the front fender if i a make a fast turn, or hit a bump while turning, driving legal speed and normal street road the spring works fine, but i haven't tried driving the car more than 100kph, now i have to slow down on corners depending how fast i approach the corners. The rear wheels behaved fine, so far i have not experience any scraping as i have rolled the inner lip 4 years ago, im sure all you guys have experienced my problem. My question now is, should i change my standard shocks? Is there a stiffer shock that i can substitute? Need assistance please? :confused:

angel
18-08-2005, 12:38 AM

SiR JDM, That is bravely Low! First time ive seen EG so low.

aozora
18-08-2005, 12:41 AM
:wave: Thanks everybody for sharing all your Honda knowledge, finally i got it low using Pedders Sports ryder Spring together with the standard honda shocks, someone did the job for me, he owns his mechanical shop. Car look good, the front wheels does scrape the front fender if i a make a fast turn, or hit a bump while turning, driving legal speed and normal street road the spring works fine, but i haven't tried driving the car more than 100kph, now i have to slow down on corners depending how fast i approach the corners. The rear wheels behaved fine, so far i have not experience any scraping as i have rolled the inner lip 4 years ago, im sure all you guys have experienced my problem. My question now is, should i change my standard shocks? Is there a stiffer shock that i can substitute? Need assistance please? :confused:

Yes, depending on the spring rate of your old springs... your standard dampers (which are probably worn anyway) won't be able to match the new spring rate which usually is harder.
You can have them revalved so they match your new spring rate... but finding a place that does your brand of dampers (Mine were OEM but used KYB...) is another thing. I personally ended up forking out money for Koni yellows (revalved to my spring rates) and have never looked back :)
Using your current dampers will be fine... but eventually or even now, you'll find they might be a bit "bouncy" (hard to find a better word :p) which is the last thing you want for handling...!
Also now that you've lowered it, make sure you get a wheel alignment to make sure that your camber, toe and other settings haven't gone out of whack :D

angel
18-08-2005, 12:54 AM
:wave: aozora, thanks for sharing your idea, i'll get the wheel alignment done, i've noticed that the front wheel sits in the ground a bit different from the rear wheel. i'll get my dampers checked, i better start saving for a decent dampers. i'm goin to see the person who did my spring, so he can have a look. :confused:

aozora
18-08-2005, 01:01 AM
No problem! Any other questions or problems let me know...!

angel
18-08-2005, 10:14 PM
:wave: Got all fours wheel aligned, lucky i haven't been driving the car that much, i got told by the wheel technician that the rears were way out of alignment, the front were not so bad, he reckons i've got less than 3 months to wear the tyre then i have to buy new ones. Now that its done, i asked about the shocks, they told me to get a short travel shocks to get rid of the tyre rubbing in the front when turning (and sometimes rear), another good $500 + labour. Or use rubber Bump stops around $45ea. to stop the top spring play. Can anyone tell how to attach photos, i could'nt attached my photos i'm always exceeding the KB's. ;)