PDA

View Full Version : Paint Job

Flanderz
11-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi guys
What would I be expecting to pay (a good price) for a new paint job on an integra LS. I am looking at stripping the car myself, sanding it back and spraying a coat of etch primer to stop the pannels from rusting, then taking it to a panel beater. They will still have to do body bog work, undercoat and final coat (plus rust removal). I heard the cost saving can be be considerable if you prep & strip the car yourself.

BiGANG
11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
you can save a lot of money, but stripping the car back is a huge job. How far do u wanna go with it. are you gonna pull the motor and glass out too? If you are, you should put a LOT of time aside to do it. Takes ages. I did my old crx a couple of years back coz i couldnt afford to take it to someone, man took me forever

Flanderz
11-08-2005, 10:51 PM
would prob not take the glass and engine out but I would take out the interiour and mask it up. Couple of my mates are doin an old V12 jag in their garage, cherry black, has taken them ages too. I want a good job but not a 5k paint job ya know, prob around 3k

spardikis
13-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I have done the same....used primer in a can to stop the rust (coz i went to metal on some parts) and when i took it in to get painted i was basicly laughed at.
If you do it....make sure you use a descent primer, ie buy the paint and apply with a compresser! coz all can primer is shiart.. And dont take it all the way to the metal!

papie
14-08-2005, 01:23 PM
if u really want to save your self $$$ and want a good job then just strip it and nothing ells. i am a panel beater if u go and sand the paint and take off the shine the beater wont be able to see any small dents and riples. that means when the painter primes the car and rubs it back if he finds dents they then have to fix them and re prime them makeing more work and adding to the price. and if they dont find them u will see them when the car is painted then its too late. small dents fine dents and riples can some times be really hard to feel but in the rite light you can see them but if u sand the paint you wont see them and make it hard to feel them. so if you want a good job dont touch the paint work let the panel beater do it.

Snoop_gee
19-08-2005, 01:08 AM
you can save a lot of money, but stripping the car back is a huge job. How far do u wanna go with it. are you gonna pull the motor and glass out too? If you are, you should put a LOT of time aside to do it. Takes ages. I did my old crx a couple of years back coz i couldnt afford to take it to someone, man took me forever
wat colour u end up spraying the CRX? Any pics :D