PDA

View Full Version : S600 Back on the road

bd581
13-08-2005, 07:25 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/762honda1cb.jpg

After 2 1/2years building the engine (for the third or forth time - i lost count), i finally get to hear the little thing scream again!

However, it hasn't been the easiest task.
Here is a few things i learnt

With the car sitting for so long it lost all the clutch and brake fluid.

I bought a spare diff that i completely rebuilt, bearings, seals, chains everything.
Went to swap them over, and the new diff didn't fit. Where it bolts to the chassis, the holes didn't line up, not even close.
Swaped a few of the new bits over andfitted the original diff back in.
Took it for a quick run and the back wheels kept locking up.
Turns out where the handbrake cables mount on the "new" chain cases are slightly different, so everytime the back wheel goes up or down it pulls the handbrake on.

The guy i bought the diff from also gave me a half cut S600 coupe body, the nose on that is the same shape as mine which for years i thought was the wrong shape, as every other S600 was a bit different.

After numerous phone calls to the number 1 S600 part supplier and nut case in Germany (Michael Ortman) it turns out that mine is one of the very last S600s ever made, a lot of the parts including the body is actually S800. A friend of my father has one, and even engine internals are different.

Another guy I deal with in America once met Mr Honda (didn't realise it at the time as he worked and met Mr Honda in a Nissan factory, but he drove a S600 to work. Obviously Mr Honda was more interested in the S600)
This guy said that Mr Honda said that no two S600s were ever built the same, they kept making improvement. He certainly wasn't lieing!!!

Brad

PS. Sorry about the picture size, not much of a computer guy
*CTR coupe Edit* "fixed it for you"

91'lude
13-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Nice story, kinda a history lesson.

Im assuming you love classics? The car next to it doesnt look to new

You going to move up to the 21st century with ur next S?

toE
13-08-2005, 10:11 PM
That's great stuff mate. :thumbsup:
She looks beautiful!!

WOuldn't mind that or the S800 in my garage.

I take it you're not in Australia? :o

blackek4
14-08-2005, 04:27 AM
very nice and clean s600.

do u mind i ask your location.
actually i got one complete s600 aswell.
haha, my s600 got the hand brake problem aswell (how can u fix it?)
you did the print job by yourself?

it's my little baby..
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/t13579/10.jpg

bd581
15-08-2005, 08:05 AM
blackek4 - yeah, painted it myself, long time ago though.
To fix the handbrake cables i just lengthened them. By the looks of your car, yours is a late model aswell (probably 1966) it obviously has early (1964 chain cases.

The car next to it is a 1966 Daimler 2.5l V8, also got a 1954 Renalt 750, 1955 Morris Minor, 1924 Dodge and i'm currently restoring a 1960 Morris Minor Ute.

At the moment i am considering a change of car to a S2000. Just got to finish the ute first, unless i get a good offer for the GTi-R and find a good cheap S2000

Unfortunately the S600 died again yesterday. Water pump died, boiled, but its not blowing smoke (anymore than usual anyway) so i don't think i did any harm.
So im looking into electric water pumps or sending it to Germany for repairs. :(

blackek4
15-08-2005, 01:30 PM
thanks..

bd581
15-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Very rare car you have there, thats the first original blue one i have ever seen, it is the original blue isn't it?
I know they only came in Red, white and blue (mine was white - wish it still was) according to the sales leaflet i have

blackek4
15-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Very rare car you have there, thats the first original blue one i have ever seen, it is the original blue isn't it?
I know they only came in Red, white and blue (mine was white - wish it still was) according to the sales leaflet i have

i think the original was yellow.

aaronng
16-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately the S600 died again yesterday. Water pump died, boiled, but its not blowing smoke (anymore than usual anyway) so i don't think i did any harm.
So im looking into electric water pumps or sending it to Germany for repairs. :(
Why don't you do an engine swap for something that is of this decade? Maybe a Hayabusa 1300 engine? Still runs off a chain but more reliable. Or if you are crazy enough, an F20C with driveshaft conversion. :D

Edit: I know I know, it's blasphemy since it is a classic.

blackek4
17-08-2005, 01:23 AM
s600 engine bay can fit f20c ??(enough space)

XESX
17-08-2005, 02:45 AM
can't imagine how crazy is this classic car have a f20c.......
very clean and nice car dude!

rev-tech
08-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I reckon the S600's in their own way are cool! i've got a video that has one featured in it, owners droped a Fiat 2L twin cam with a sprintex supercharger on it. Can't see why an F20C wouldn't fit in :)

Anyone know where/how much an S600 would go for these days?

Shane

rakfint
08-09-2005, 08:00 PM
in original mint condition you mean rev-tech?? i'd have no idea.

Not really related I guess but My cousin was building me one of these afew years back, intentions were to drop something like a 1600 datsun engine in it.. Last minute I decided i need something more reliable and baught a ek1 instead.

At the time he was going to hit me up 6k, which I assume is mainly paying for the body and things as the engine was probly worth afew hundred haha.

oh nice car!
thats all

rev-tech
20-09-2005, 09:27 AM
in original mint condition you mean rev-tech??
no, more or less one with a good body, engine i'm not fussed about and as long as the general interior is there

oh and correction about my earlier post, that S600 i was talkin about had a fiat 160cc engine, not 2L.....my bad!