PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Tramlining

Chris_F
13-08-2005, 08:05 PM
I have aftermarket rims on my euro (225/45/R17) and i noticed that the car is tramlining pretty badly. Even going over a man-hole will shunt the wheel off course:confused:

Anyone else experience this problem with aftermarket wheels on the euro or just the euro in general? It's starting to annoy me and I'm wondering if there are any adjustments that can be made to the wheel allignment or tyre pressures that can help fix the problem.Thanks

albii
13-08-2005, 08:12 PM
i think it may have something to do with your tyres and or tyre pressures... i got no probs with my 225/40/18

yfin
13-08-2005, 08:32 PM
I have aftermarket rims on my euro (225/45/R17) and i noticed that the car is tramlining pretty badly. Even going over a man-hole will shunt the wheel off course:confused:

I have tried that size as well as 235/45/17. The car certainly changes direction quite easily and quickly - but definately not over a man-hole. I find if there is a camber change in the road eg a road like this / the car will quickly follow that camber unless i am holding the wheel tight.

Did you get your alignment checked after fitting the rims?

Also what offset are your rims and have you lowered the car?

V205
13-08-2005, 08:57 PM
I found tram lining effects on s15 using 225/50/16 as well as my stock 17" euro 225/45/17. Very sensitive to undulating part of the road. Even if it's undulating on 1 side.. the effect is noticable.

Edit: I guess all vehicles will tramline.. including my CRV, but the effect is a lot more gradual compared to wider / lower profile tyres obviously.

Chris_F
13-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Did you get your alignment checked after fitting the rims?

Also what offset are your rims and have you lowered the car?

Yep i had my allignment checked just recently so im sure that's not the problem.

Offset on the rims is +45.

I found tram lining effects on s15 using 225/50/16 as well as my stock 17" euro 225/45/17. Very sensitive to undulating part of the road. Even if it's undulating on 1 side.. the effect is noticable.

Edit: I guess all vehicles will tramline.. including my CRV, but the effect is a lot more gradual compared to wider / lower profile tyres obviously.

Good to know that others are experiencing the same sort of sensitivity (i noticed it more when i changed the tire pressures to a higher psi - i noticed the outside was wearing slightly quicker than the inside). Maybe by having a wider contact patch/more grip i'm making the problem worse.

I have to pay attention on tight roads (lanes close together) otherwise it's quite dangerous.

Also yfin, i'm planning on lowering my car - will this just increase the affect?

V205
13-08-2005, 09:45 PM
What PSI are you running? If the outside is wearing faster, I would run more pressure.

aaronng
13-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I get tramlining at higher tyre pressures. But it's only if there is a groove in the road or if it is slanted to the side, never over a manhole or shallow pothole.

Chris_F
13-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Well i'm running about 36-38psi now. I think honda dropped it to 32 and i didnt check it for a while. But yea after driving on a dirty road with the higher tyre pressure i noticed the outsides werent making as much contact which is good.

Yea it's strange about the potholes... over certain shape bumps the steering seems to have a mind of its own (even if only slightly)

stephen8512
13-08-2005, 10:42 PM
sorry what is tramlining?
my wheels are 34 psi all round

Chris_F
14-08-2005, 12:32 PM
stephen8512, It's basically where the wheels follow the natural contour of the road - if the road is tilting to the left your car will drift to the left as its the easiest path for the tyres to follow.

It may just be a matter of trying out different tyre pressures because atm with fairly high pressures my tyres seem to follow every contour of the road.

I dunno if this is indicating more grip... or it's just an annoying trade off for having firmer sidewalls/increased pressure.

VirIIx
15-08-2005, 01:59 PM
tramlining is a bad thing i gather?

i've only experienced a similar effect with road constructions and there are big grooves in the road from the older paint effects - that's expected tho i guess.

Tobster
15-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Some tyres are more prone to tramlining than others -- generally the stiffer the sidewall, the more prone to do so. Tread obviously has an effect too...