PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Brake pad replacement

Pages : [1] 2

exISeuro
14-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Have any members replaced their OEM brake pads ? (i know most of your cars are between 1000 and 20,000kms). I've done 42,000km on the stock pads in approx 9 months and i can now clearly hear the indicators + i get funny looks from people whom i drive past.

At the moment it is a toss up between EBC Greenstuff (please contribute if you have experience with these (baboo/yfin??)) & another set of OEM pads on stock rotors and discs of course.

I have grown confident with the OEM brakes ... i know they stop well but perhaps there is room for improvement.

Peekay34
14-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Go the green stuff or endless...http://www.centraxauto.com.au/default2.htm

Reduced dust and better braking.

yfin
14-08-2005, 10:26 PM
42,000kms for pads - is that front and rear? Looks like I will need these in 6 months too if that is the expected mileage out of the pads.

How much are the OEM pads from the dealer?

Acura of Escondido has them for the TSX at $75USD front and rear. I would imagine they would be exactly the same as the Euro pads - although you can never be sure without checking part numbers.

stephen8512
14-08-2005, 11:04 PM
i'd get the endless brakepads
endless/zeal make the best brake related aftermarket stuff for cars i hear
and is also very popular brake choice in japan

yfin
14-08-2005, 11:24 PM

Just looking at that web site - those pads have no indicators so you need to measure the thickness to know how much life is left. Not really a down side - just be wary of that.

Is the price for the VN8500 street pads - $159 - would that be just the front pads or front and rear? Any idea?

EuroAccord13
14-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Me and Euro77 use EBC Green Stuff, no complaints...

For the amount of brake dust for a set of performance pads, according to euro77, it's already low :)

GYPO2C
15-08-2005, 08:55 AM
...I've done 42,000km on the stock pads in approx 9 months...

sheeeeeeeezz man.... thats a hell-of-alot of driving... :)

ABS121
15-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Ive done 43,000km just had my service done, and they say i have 60% left, exISeuro you must drive hard......

exISeuro
15-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Ive done 43,000km just had my service done, and they say i have 60% left, exISeuro you must drive hard......
I do indeed. Weekly thrashing.

How much are the OEM pads from dealer ?
I just rang.

Front pair $158.75
Rear pair $159.90
off topic
Wipers $17.26 each (i need new wipers , i am a addicted headlight washer)

Cheers

ABS121
15-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Hey does the price of the OEM pad include labour (ie installed), or is that price just parts over the counter?

The price of the wipers is ok, i thought it would be a lot more expensive. Which dealer did you get the quote from ?

exISeuro
15-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey does the price of the OEM pad include labour (ie installed), or is that price just parts over the counter?

The price of the wipers is ok, i thought it would be a lot more expensive. Which dealer did you get the quote from ?Parts price only.

Trivett Classic Parramatta (Parts) (02) 9841 8833

Mano

ant234
15-08-2005, 01:24 PM
it just depends if he meant each blade or for the pair :D

milkman
15-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Just looking at that web site - those pads have no indicators so you need to measure the thickness to know how much life is left. Not really a down side - just be wary of that.

Is the price for the VN8500 street pads - $159 - would that be just the front pads or front and rear? Any idea?

You can reuse your orignals - EBC greenstuff do not come with indicators either, I just ripoff the indicators off my old pads and reused..

bigdongers
15-08-2005, 01:48 PM
how do the indicators work? I thought they were built into the pad.

milkman
16-08-2005, 01:57 PM
They're just clips that clip onto your pad they stick out a little so when your pad gets to certain depth a part of the clip scratches on yuor disc thus the annoying sound you hear and the lil indent it puts on your disc..

hope this helps :)

Ronin
16-08-2005, 04:11 PM
is it a clicking noise? or a screeech

euro1978
16-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Out of 'clicking' or 'screeching' I would say screeching.

milkman
16-08-2005, 11:48 PM
screeching/scratching
you won't miss it i assure you

TwEigh
17-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Dude.. 42000 in 9 months? where do u drive?
I only done 14000 in 17 months

vincent
18-08-2005, 10:24 PM

Endless SSS is good for street use.

euro77
18-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Endless is too expensive. EBC performs the same if not better at lower price.

red_s2000
18-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Euro77, have you tried both on your car? If not, you can't say EBC performs same or better. I have tried both Endless and EBC on my S2k, Endless is more expensive but it chews less on my rotor compared to EBC. EBC is too harsh on the rotor. So the money you save from getting EBC will go into a new rotor earlier. Endless is also less noisy. Both I haven't experienced any fading when warm up. If anything, Endless bite better during cold, after warm up, both bite the same.

euro77
18-08-2005, 11:08 PM
no, I haven't tried endless, that's why I said "if not better". I compared them by the operating temp, ebc operating temp upper limit is higher than endless (endless SSS and ebc green stuff) and they both starts from 0C.

red_s2000
18-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Well.. usually when people say "something the same if not better", it means that person has experienced in both items but cannot determine which is better, or the first item is marginally better (in your case EBC). If going by factory spec, yes EBC does sound more attractive, but in actual world, I rather have a quiet, more rotor friendly pads and better initial bite. Then again, this review is solely from a S2k experience, in Euro being a FF car and differnt weight, it may be different.

aaronng
19-08-2005, 02:04 AM
This page is good for brake pad info. You can even ask how much wear a rotor will have from a specific pad model.
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36&whichpage=1

Eurotony
19-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Very Interesting to see some of the comments regarding the brake pads on the Euro. I have done 43k in my car & I have had the front disc's machined once already (under warranty) at 25k & at the last service, 42k, have had new front rotors & pads replaced also under warranty.
Has anyone else had any issue's with the front disc's warping???? Before you ask, the car really only gets used around town & does not get thrashed. As yet Honda have not replied as to the cause. :confused:

aaronng
19-08-2005, 12:10 PM
No warping on mine, but I can feel deep grooves in my front rotors.

vincent
20-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Endless make good street pads which are low dust / noise.

ant234
22-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I have done 43k in my car & I have had the front disc's machined once already (under warranty) at 25k & at the last service, 42k, have had new front rotors & pads replaced also under warranty.:

How did u manage to get it done under a warrenty job after 25k? I thought discs are perishable items?!? Suprised they didn't blame you on hard riding ur brakes!
Well, thats wat happened to my old car (Astra) had my brakes replaced and 3 days later it started to warps!! they wouldn't fix it saying it was ME who stuffed it up! i was so unhappy that I sold it straight away!

exISeuro
22-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Ok guys

EBC greenstuff on front and back.

Still within that 300km break in period. So i cant really comment on performance yet but it generally as good if not better than OEM.

Also had my discs machined nice and new :)

Front $195.00
Rear $145.00

Minor part of the fronts had to be modified to fit.

EuroAccord13
22-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok guys

EBC greenstuff on front and back.

Minor part of the fronts had to be modified to fit.

Hey! :D

Are you talking about the front EBC pads? I machined some bits off the front pads when I couldn't get them to fit in the calipers... I used a belt sander to grind off two protruding bits on the pads..

exISeuro
22-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Are you talking about the front EBC pads? I machined some bits off the front pads when I couldn't get them to fit in the calipers... I used a belt sander to grind off two protruding bits on the pads..Yes. Mine were grinded off.

For those people worried - the brake compound isnt modified, only the extra housing (?) which doesnt exist on the OEM brakes.

Mano.

jl88rl
23-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Endless make good street pads which are low dust / noise.

I can vouch for that!

exISeuro
14-09-2005, 09:39 PM
EBC Greenstuff review.

OEM > EBC Greenstuff.

Everyday driving

Equal to OEM if not poorer street stoppage. You expect these to stop a little better since they are aftermarket.

Can you say brake dust ? my rims are black (i dont mind it , but others might). Easy to clean though.

Spirited driving

Can you say brake fade ? bbbbrake ffffffaaaaadddddddeeee during twistie stints. OEM never had this problem.

Can you smell train brakes ? .. no sorry thats my car.

Choose OEM over these.

aaronng
14-09-2005, 10:07 PM
I've always suspected EBC greenstuff only for replacement on really crappy brake pads. I prefer Ferodo Excel.

euro77
15-09-2005, 10:21 PM
EBC Greenstuff review.

OEM > EBC Greenstuff.

Everyday driving

Equal to OEM if not poorer street stoppage. You expect these to stop a little better since they are aftermarket.

Can you say brake dust ? my rims are black (i dont mind it , but others might). Easy to clean though.

Spirited driving

Can you say brake fade ? bbbbrake ffffffaaaaadddddddeeee during twistie stints. OEM never had this problem.

Can you smell train brakes ? .. no sorry thats my car.

Choose OEM over these.
Have you properly bed in the pads? Because my EBC greenstuffs pads are definitely better than OEM, and as for brake fade, haven't felt it, not even after track abuse.

PNR888
15-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Very Interesting to see some of the comments regarding the brake pads on the Euro. I have done 43k in my car & I have had the front disc's machined once already (under warranty) at 25k & at the last service, 42k, have had new front rotors & pads replaced also under warranty.
Has anyone else had any issue's with the front disc's warping???? Before you ask, the car really only gets used around town & does not get thrashed. As yet Honda have not replied as to the cause. :confused:

What is the word "warping" mean on brake discs ? I 've done about 43000km too, only LF disc has a line goes right around the shinny surface of the disc. is this "warping" ? :confused:

EuroAccord13
15-09-2005, 11:45 PM
What is the word "warping" mean on brake discs ? I 've done about 43000km too, only LF disc has a line goes right around the shinny surface of the disc. is this "warping" ? :confused:

Brake disc warp is when the disc have not been bed in properly and it is not straight anymore, also, many people don't know but say when you finished driving and you go wash your car and spray water at the disc, the disc will wrap due to the sudden change in temperature where the disc is not able to dissipitate the heat evenly... I experienced it before last time when I was washing my first car as a noob, I sprayed the disc and it smoked, I thought it was cool but it warped my disc LOL!

Eurotony
16-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Brake disc warp is when the disc have not been bed in properly and it is not straight anymore, also, many people don't know but say when you finished driving and you go wash your car and spray water at the disc, the disc will wrap due to the sudden change in temperature where the disc is not able to dissipitate the heat evenly... I experienced it before last time when I was washing my first car as a noob, I sprayed the disc and it smoked, I thought it was cool but it warped my disc LOL!

Warping can be caused by any number of reasons though they are generally temprature related. I had no issue's with my brakes until around the 25k mark, when I started to notice a vibration through the steering wheel under brakes. The disc's were machined under warranty, but by about 40k they had started to do this again so Honda replaced both front disc's & put in new front pad's also. As mentioned previously the dealer has not yet given a reason for the warping.
For Honda to agree to the replacements under warranty, they may be aware of an issue.

MiSloVic
16-09-2005, 11:51 AM
actually, warping of the stock honda disc is quite a common problem with the euro and thai/us accord..

PNR888
16-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Euroaccord13, Eurotony and MiSloVic:
Thanks for your answers

With the depressed line on my disc, Maybe I should remove the brake pad to inspect whether if there is any stone or foreign object stuck in there... as that should be the cause of the problem, am I right?

aaronng
16-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Euroaccord13, Eurotony and MiSloVic:
Thanks for your answers

With the depressed line on my disc, Maybe I should remove the brake pad to inspect whether if there is any stone or foreign object stuck in there... as that should be the cause of the problem, am I right?
That's a groove in your disc. Mine has that too, and it makes a hell of a noise when braking. I'll get the dealer to take it out and clean out any grit that is caught in the pad.

Eurotony
16-09-2005, 05:22 PM
That's a groove in your disc. Mine has that too, and it makes a hell of a noise when braking. I'll get the dealer to take it out and clean out any grit that is caught in the pad.
You will find that you will have a small stone trapped in between the pad & the disk rotor. If it is scoring a grove in the rotor you need to remove it as soon as possible. If it is just making a load scrapping noise it could be the audible warning for low brake pad material.

aaronng
16-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I'll try to get it out tomorrow. Do you know what size is the caliper bolt?

Eurotony
16-09-2005, 06:13 PM
I'll try to get it out tomorrow. Do you know what size is the caliper bolt?
You won't need to remove the caliper. You should just be able to slide out the pads & check & see if there is a little rock trapped in the pad (it does not need to be very big) or it could be the audible warning tag. I have not taken the pads out on a euro, but i can't imagine it's very hard.

aaronng
16-09-2005, 06:13 PM
I thought you had to remove 1 bolt, so that you could flip the caliper up and leaving the brake pads exposed to be removed.

Eurotony
16-09-2005, 06:22 PM
It's possible, as I said I have not done any brake work on the euro. Someone must be able to help, I have not even lookedat them yet thankfully, so far the dealer has done it all under warranty. Sorry. :D

aaronng
16-09-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm so tempted to fix it now... My next service is in November... Long way to go

Eurotony
16-09-2005, 08:05 PM
By the sound of it you need to have this looked at NOW!!! If you have something trapped in the pad, it won't be hard to remove & can do a fair amount of damage in a short period of time. Some-one with even a small amount of mechanical knowledge can take the pads out without too much trouble. If need be I can have a look at mine tomorrow & explain how it's done.

aaronng
16-09-2005, 11:55 PM
By the sound of it you need to have this looked at NOW!!! If you have something trapped in the pad, it won't be hard to remove & can do a fair amount of damage in a short period of time. Some-one with even a small amount of mechanical knowledge can take the pads out without too much trouble. If need be I can have a look at mine tomorrow & explain how it's done.
Yup, going to check mine tomorrow. If it's the same as for a 94 Accord, then I can do it.

yfin
29-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Given the OEM dealer price in Aus for front and rear Euro pads (about $320AUD) I plan to buy some front and rear pads whilst I am in the USA. The OEM Acura TSX pads are only $80US (front and rear). (Yes, I know we are being ripped off in Australia) .The other option that seems quite popular on the TSX are the Hawk HPS pads but I can't seem to find anyone who has reviewed these in Australia.

Does anyone have a view on these (http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php)Hawk pads - they cost about $140US front and rear. Not sure if it is worth double the OEM price. I can get the EBC greens front and rear for only $112US but I am a bit wary about those given one so so review in this thread and some fitment issues euroaccord13 has mentioned.

Hmmm - so which ones would you go for? OEM TSX, Hawk or EBC?

ONe more question - can anyone confirm 100% that the TSX pads fit the Euro? I think it should - here are the dimensions for the TSX (looks like in inches) if anyone can compare to the Euro I would be grateful http://ozhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/shade.gif Thickness here (http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/search.php?year=2004&make=ACURA&model=TSX&show_street=yes&Submit=Find+Parts+%3E%3E):

FRONT - PICS FROM THE HAWK WEB SITE

http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/images/shape/HB366.gif

REAR

http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/images/shape/HB145.gif

yfin
29-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Well I think I may have matched up some part numbers!

Honda Australia part numbers (I only asked about 2004 model):

Front brake pads part number is 45022SEAJ01 and priced at $157.75

Rear brake pads part number is 43022SV4G22 and priced at $160.15
ACURA TSX part numbers:

Front brake pads part number is 45022-SEA-J00 (2004) or 45022-SEA-J11 (2005)

Rear brake pads part number is 43022-SV4-G22 (2004) or 43022-S84-A50 (2005)

Apparently Honda changed the pad material on the 2005 TSX model hence difference numbers but you can use the 2005 pads on the 2003/04 (according to the TSX forum). Same probably applies in Australia but I didn't check 05 pad numbers.

So I have a perfect match for the rears - but a slightly different number for the fronts. I think it is just pad material and it will still fit perfectly.

Heck for $80US F&R I am happy to punt on it being fine. At least I have rears confirmed. Hopefully this helps people out there before they pay $320 at a Honda dealer in Aus! ;)

By the way - still interested in thoughts on those Hawk pads!

stalin
29-03-2006, 11:56 PM
i'v done about 36k on my euro and when i took the car for a oil/filter/minor service (ultraline) they told me that front discs have to be machined..and the guy said he could do it for me for 120$.. but just wondering eurotony had mentioned that he did it under the warranty and they change the pads too(???) , is this really the case? , i thought that pads, machining discs etc were not under warranty..

EuroAccord13
30-03-2006, 12:29 AM
i'v done about 36k on my euro and when i took the car for a oil/filter/minor service (ultraline) they told me that front discs have to be machined..and the guy said he could do it for me for 120$.. but just wondering eurotony had mentioned that he did it under the warranty and they change the pads too(???) , is this really the case? , i thought that pads, machining discs etc were not under warranty..

Are your brakes squeaking or squealing? If not, I do not think you need to machine your discs yet.. Also $120 to do the front discs is way too much to be honest.

As for the warranty, best to pm eurotony and get the details off him :)

Omotesando
30-03-2006, 05:03 AM

ACURA TSX part numbers:

Apparently Honda changed the pad material on the 2005 TSX model hence difference numbers but you can use the 2005 pads on the 2003/04 (according to the TSX forum). Same probably applies in Australia but I didn't check 05 pad numbers.

So I have a perfect match for the rears - but a slightly different number for the fronts. I think it is just pad material and it will still fit perfectly.

Heck for $80US F&R I am happy to punt on it being fine. At least I have rears confirmed. Hopefully this helps people out there before they pay $320 at a Honda dealer in Aus! ;)

Cool.. thanks YFIN for the great information. As you said not sure if TSX fronts will fit but I would imagine so :) Here's hoping. So much cheaper, unbelievable really. Actually brake pads are quite heavy to carry, a set of fronts and rear are easily a few kilos.

If they fit, I think we should do a group buy on those one day, have them shipped via sea or something.

As for EBC Greenstuff - I have to say, the advertisements are good haha. Granted I haven't used them before, but some friends have. They actually don't work and will fade when even slightly heated up.

Personally I have used Endless NA-S (80-450C, I think), Project Mu Titan-Kai (0-800C) and RB74 (don't know, but street/track pad) on other car before. Project Mu Titan-Kai were the most expensive, over-rated pads ever. Endless were bloody great yet dusty, but this is NOT the street pad. RB74's were very happy with them. Performed as good as the Project Mu Titan-Kai at 1/3rd the price.

Heard really good things about Ferodos in general - wonder if available for Euro!

stalin
30-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Are your brakes squeaking or squealing? If not, I do not think you need to machine your discs yet.. Also $120 to do the front discs is way too much to be honest.

As for the warranty, best to pm eurotony and get the details off him :)

its making a squeaking (something like a little kid shouting or somthing like that:))) noise.. just wondering is that because of pads needing to be changed or discs have to machined..or both..

fraqqie
02-04-2006, 10:56 AM
i just had my OEM brake pads replaced for the fronts since they were squealling but turns out they still had abit of life to go (maybe 3mm til the end)

i just went ahead and got the Bendix Advance pads on em ($55 :thumbsup: )

so far so gwed, a little less brake dust than OEM and stopping power is as good or a little better... so not too bad

hey... so u guys are saying that squealling is a sign of warping or requires machining? why is that?

plus... when u guys replaced ur pads, did u guys notice uneven wearing between the left and the right? i took the OEM home and saw the left had way more than the right pads :confused:

aaronng
02-04-2006, 12:34 PM
plus... when u guys replaced ur pads, did u guys notice uneven wearing between the left and the right? i took the OEM home and saw the left had way more than the right pads :confused:
Could be because we drive on the left side of the road, so we brake and turn left more often. Someone who's car spends most of its life on the highway should have even wear.

yfin
06-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Just an update on my search for aftermarket pads in the US (for those who want to buy on ebay etc)- the TSX and Euro do not share the same FMSI (friction materials standards institute) number for the front pads. The FMSI difference means the shape of the front pads is slightly different (that could explain why some of you guys with the EBC pads have been sanding them down to fit).

Here are the FMSI numbers for the 04 Euro:

FRONT: FMSI 7795-D914
REAR: FMSI 7418-D537

The front FMSI used is the same as the following US vehicle applications:
2004-03 Honda Accord Coupe - 4 Cyl.
2004-03 Honda Accord Sedan - 4 Cyl.
2004-02 Honda CR-V
2003 Honda Element
2004-03 Honda Pilot

The rear FMSI used is the same as the following US vehicle applications:
2003-01 Acura CL
1999-97 Acura CL - 2.3L, 4 cyl.
1999-97 Acura CL - 3.0L, V6
2001-97 Acura Integra - Type "R"
1995-91 Acura Legend
1990-86 Acura Legend
2004-99 Acura RL
1998-96 Acura RL
2004-02 Acura RSX
2004-02 Acura RSX-S
2004-99 Acura TL
1998-95 Acura TL
2004 Acura TSX
1994-92 Acura Vigor
1997-93 Honda Accord Coupe
2004-03 Honda Accord Coupe - 4 Cyl.
2002-98 Honda Accord Coupe - 4 Cyl.
2002-98 Honda Accord Coupe - V6
2004-03 Honda Accord Coupe - V6 - EX, 6 Speed M/T
2004-03 Honda Accord Coupe - V6 - LX, EX - Automatic
1994 Honda Accord Sedan
2004-03 Honda Accord Sedan - 4 Cyl.
2002-98 Honda Accord Sedan - 4 Cyl.
1997-95 Honda Accord Sedan - 4 Cyl.
1993-90 Honda Accord Sedan - Akebono Front Caliper
2004-03 Honda Accord Sedan - V6
2002-95 Honda Accord Sedan - V6
1997-91 Honda Accord Wagon
2003-02 Honda Civic Hatchback - Si
2004-02 Honda CR-V
2003 Honda Element
1998-95 Honda Odyssey
2001-97 Honda Prelude
1996-92 Honda Prelude - S, w/o ABS
1996-92 Honda Prelude - Se, Si - w/o ABS
1996-92 Honda Prelude - V-Tec
2003-00 Honda S2000
1999-96 Isuzu Oasis

** note that many aftermarket brake manufacturers use the FMSI number in their own part numbers or will cross reference to the FMSI if you ask.

Eg on this web site (http://www.buybrakes.com/hawk/apps-Acura.html) - as long as you know the FMSI number the manufacturer number is not needed

aaronng
06-04-2006, 10:00 AM
That's great info yfin! I hope this thread goes into the FAQ sticky.

EuroDude
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Could be because we drive on the left side of the road, so we brake and turn left more often. Someone who's car spends most of its life on the highway should have even wear.

Thinking logically, wouldnt the RHS brakes wear more if you turned left more often?

I mean both brakes brake with even pressure around corners, but on a left turn the RHS wheel is spinning faster which would mean there would be more wear :p

But then again, i'm no pro mech :zip:

aaronng
06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Thinking logically, wouldnt the RHS brakes wear more if you turned left more often?

I mean both brakes brake with even pressure around corners, but on a left turn the RHS wheel is spinning faster which would mean there would be more wear :p

LOL, you're probably more right than I am. :p

PNR888
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM

With Left turn, LHS wheel will make less revolution(smaller turning circle) than RHS wheel, so Left brake pad have to work harder to slow down LHS wheel, hence more wear on Left pad.. that's my theory, but I am not sure if it is the case in reality.

If you see F1 telecast in slow motion. you'll see the turning side of the front wheel lock-up intermitantly at beginning of the turn. Brake pad must have worked overtime.

BusterSonic12
16-04-2007, 08:42 AM
:p after going to wakefield, trashin' my brand new '06 auto euro around the track, brake pads gone :p hehe

got myself new tyres + pads.
Advan AD07 + endless SSS *F&R*
what kinda brake fluid should i use now with the new pads? because i m going to get them installed today n thinking to drain my b fluid since it's not in good shape after track LOL recommend honda or aftermarket jap one :confused:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t175/tiu_le/My%20Euro/DSC01123.jpg

Pumped
16-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda :) ftw

aaronng
16-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Use Honda brake fluid. When your next track day comes, change to high performance fluid.

BusterSonic12
16-04-2007, 11:18 AM
what are some good high performance fluid? endless?

why? is it not good to use high performance fluid on the street?

Suntzu
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Im up fpr some pads also. Can decide between the Endless SSS ( dearest but looks the good) and the Ferodo one. Not sure of the name. Much difference in price between these?

I used to have bendix advance on my magna. They seemed good. Comments?

BusterSonic12
06-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Im up fpr some pads also. Can decide between the Endless SSS ( dearest but looks the good) and the Ferodo one. Not sure of the name. Much difference in price between these?

I used to have bendix advance on my magna. They seemed good. Comments?

i got endless sss for a month and a bit now. i totally love them compare to stock pads, well but i haven't tried other pads other than oem, so can't say much, but really good compared to the stock. got mine for $460 front and rear. i think is motor racing selling them for $430

curik
06-06-2007, 12:30 AM
I am using Project-u Type NS pads. Got them for $200 for F+R in HK. Stopping is definetely better, just slightly more dust, but it is worth the trade off.

tony1234
06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
I've heard 02 Legend ft. pads fit Euros.A Honda tech told me this is a good pad upgrade if you want better braking performance but still want to retain OEM quietness etc.

EuroAccord13
06-06-2007, 08:18 AM
I've heard 02 Legend ft. pads fit Euros.A Honda tech told me this is a good pad upgrade if you want better braking performance but still want to retain OEM quietness etc.

From memory, the odyssey pads fit too I think...

destrukshn
06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
From memory, the odyssey pads fit too I think...
wouldn't be sprised.
lol.
crv pads are the same as dc2r.
but different compound.

demstar
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
good day people,
just reading the threads bout the rear brake pads for d euros n i'm in the same predicament as the others on which pads to use coz dealers charging 350AUD for rears. i'm inclined towards endless pads so where can i get them (parts + install)? i'm from liverpool nsw so any ideas? thanks very much

zaqmlp
09-05-2008, 11:22 PM
good day people,
just reading the threads bout the rear brake pads for d euros n i'm in the same predicament as the others on which pads to use coz dealers charging 350AUD for rears. i'm inclined towards endless pads so where can i get them (parts + install)? i'm from liverpool nsw so any ideas? thanks very much

$350 for just the rears? you serious? can almost buy front and rear endless SSS pads! :confused:

Where abouts are you and which dealer is it? I guess you mean rear + install = $350 but still... quite expensive :(

Suntzu
09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I got my complete endless SS for $400 landed from a trader here my bitches. That being said they are hardly better than stock. So suck that up.

zaqmlp
10-05-2008, 12:20 AM
I got my complete endless SS for $400 landed from a trader here my bitches. That being said they are hardly better than stock. So suck that up.

never tried SSS too~ i have tried delphi pads and spoon pads~ out of the 2 i reckon delphi is the best~! Spoon they aren't as good in stopping and after i used it for a month, i headed in for a service in a honda dealer, they said i have got 30% left......... :eek:

unleashed__
10-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Have any members replaced their OEM brake pads ? (i know most of your cars are between 1000 and 20,000kms). I've done 42,000km on the stock pads in approx 9 months and i can now clearly hear the indicators + i get funny looks from people whom i drive past.

At the moment it is a toss up between EBC Greenstuff (please contribute if you have experience with these (baboo/yfin??)) & another set of OEM pads on stock rotors and discs of course.

I have grown confident with the OEM brakes ... i know they stop well but perhaps there is room for improvement.

coz ur cars fast yea? u need good pads to slow ur beast down yea? save ur money and use it elsewhere like $10 petrol for the week

tony1234
10-05-2008, 08:57 AM
never tried SSS too~ i have tried delphi pads and spoon pads~ out of the 2 i reckon delphi is the best~! Spoon they aren't as good in stopping and after i used it for a month, i headed in for a service in a honda dealer, they said i have got 30% left......... :eek:
I've got Delphi, good initial bite, nice firm pedal and low dust.Not cheap though.

EK Civic R
10-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Spoon they aren't as good in stopping and after i used it for a month, i headed in for a service in a honda dealer, they said i have got 30% left......... :eek:

I got spoon pads on my euro and find they are better than the project mu pads.. Never tried the delphi pads before, might give them a go..

I've had them on for 5mths now average 600kms a week and seen 2 track days and still have plenty left on them, I think about 50~60% left...

aaronng
10-05-2008, 09:21 AM

I tried SSS and they are better than stock. Did you bleed your brake lines and also, did you press the pedal down hard enough? Stock pads give almost no initial bite after 3-4 laps.

aaronng
10-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I got spoon pads on my euro and find they are better than the project mu pads.. Never tried the delphi pads before, might give them a go..

I've had them on for 5mths now average 600kms a week and seen 2 track days and still have plenty left on them, I think about 50~60% left...

Which project mu pads did you try before?

EK Civic R
10-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I used the BSpec pads and SCR Pure Plus 6 discs.
But this was on my old EG...

Together with the disc and pad combo they were alright..

Looking for some discs for my euro, but not too sure what to get..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ckg_81/ProjectMu.jpg
Pic of my brake setup on EG

PNR888
11-05-2008, 12:57 AM
My Euro is 4.5 years old with 108000km on clock, still on stock pads and discs. Approx. 60% of my travel is on highway.
I have been waiting to hear from service department the need of pad replacement since 60000km service. but those humble stock pads still going strong.
I guess my car being a manual car, doesn't rely that much on brake alone during stopping.

badthing
11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I've got Delphi, good initial bite, nice firm pedal and low dust.Not cheap though.

I'm also using Delphi for my fronts and I agree with that statement. Much better than stock pads.

aaronng
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
My Euro is 4.5 years old with 108000km on clock, still on stock pads and discs. Approx. 60% of my travel is on highway.
I have been waiting to hear from service department the need of pad replacement since 60000km service. but those humble stock pads still going strong.
I guess my car being a manual car, doesn't rely that much on brake alone during stopping.

That and you don't use the brakes much on the freeway.

tony1234
11-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm also using Delphi for my fronts and I agree with that statement. Much better than stock pads.
Good to get a 2nd.opinion.:thumbsup:.Not sure what type of pad to get for the rears when i need them,any suggestions anyone?

zaqmlp
11-05-2008, 10:36 PM
anyone got any suggestion where i can get delphi pads again? I can't seems to find it anywhere -.-
If possible can quote me price as well please?

tony1234
12-05-2008, 07:14 AM
anyone got any suggestion where i can get delphi pads again? I can't seems to find it anywhere -.-
If possible can quote me price as well please?
I got mine from IS Motorracing in Rockdale, Sydney.

Crapdaz
12-05-2008, 08:08 AM
hi guys, am running now hawk performance (HPS) pads from tsxparts.com, need to run my rotors and pads in to tell you how they are.

how much were your delphi pads?

aaronng
12-05-2008, 09:29 AM
hi guys, am running now hawk performance (HPS) pads from tsxparts.com, need to run my rotors and pads in to tell you how they are.

Follow the hawk hard running-in instructions on the box. They make a difference. Don't baby the pads during running-in.

Crapdaz
12-05-2008, 10:58 AM
couple of times i've hard braked but not enough yet as very hard to do it during driving to work and all. I've done about 5 of 80-60 and about 3 60-40 but not enough yet....

aaronng
12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
couple of times i've hard braked but not enough yet as very hard to do it during driving to work and all. I've done about 5 of 80-60 and about 3 60-40 but not enough yet....

Yeah, it does take a lot of effort to run those pads in, but once you do, the difference is like night and day. I ran mine in after 3 months of driving gently.... I thought biting force was shit, until I did the hard running in and now it bites very very well!

Crapdaz
12-05-2008, 02:45 PM
atm the feel is almost the same as stock still a bit off though but with less squeeking.

leaving stains on my rotors too duno whether its cause i need to change fluid or just the pads themselves.

aaronng
12-05-2008, 02:59 PM
leaving stains on my rotors too duno whether its cause i need to change fluid or just the pads themselves.

Brake fluid doesn't leave stains because they stay in the caliper and brake line. If they don't, then you will notice it. Stains don't matter. Your rotors rust if you park in the rain anyway. lol. As long as they are not gooved or warped.

Crapdaz
12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
nah not grooved or warp just that the pads a ferro carbon hawk ones thats why they pocka dotted my rotors, since both need wearing in.

bit off topic so what do you do aaron still study? work in a workshop?

aaronng
12-05-2008, 04:10 PM
nah not grooved or warp just that the pads a ferro carbon hawk ones thats why they pocka dotted my rotors, since both need wearing in.

bit off topic so what do you do aaron still study? work in a workshop?

Oooh, your pads are too aggressive for your rotors then. Consider some harder rotors like Racingbrake's UP rotors or DBA's 4000 series.

Nope, finished studying, had enough of that. I'm working now, but not in a workshop. I love to learn and DIY, which is why I'm mostly in the tech sections. I've stuffed up many times as well, so live and learn. Worst was when I messed up a brake pad change which required the caliper to be rebuilt. LOL

Min988
12-05-2008, 04:12 PM
It's come to the time that I need to replace my pads, was considering some Hawks, Endless SSY or CCA's, are all three of these pads way too aggressive for my stock rotors?

aaronng
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
It's come to the time that I need to replace my pads, was considering some Hawks, Endless SSY or CCA's, are all three of these pads way too aggressive for my stock rotors?

Which Hawks? HP, HP+ or Ceramic?
Endless SSS was alright. If you are doing street driving only, why not VN9500? CCA is too aggressive for the soft rotors in my opinion.

Min988
12-05-2008, 04:22 PM
VN9500 ($155) or SSS ($240) hmmm, what if I used SSS on the front and VN9500 on the rear, would that be problematic?

EuroAccord13
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM

how much were your delphi pads?

Just follow my instructions as per my reply to your PM and you'll be set :)
Also note that you may need to do extra sets of the procedures depending on how your pads bed in.

aaronng
12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
VN9500 ($155) or SSS ($240) hmmm, what if I used SSS on the front and VN9500 on the rear, would that be problematic?

I don't see any problems except under VERY VERY VERY VERY hard braking from 160km/h, which you will never do on the street.

I paid $260 landed for my Hawk Ceramics front and rear.

Min988
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
$311 for front and rear Hawks ceramics shipped, now the waiting game.

Crapdaz
12-05-2008, 06:43 PM
cant wait for my rotors to be worn in.... *sigh* have to do some crazy braking... joking....

aaronng
12-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Consider ebay as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAWK-HPS-BRAKE-PADS-FRONT-04-05-ACURA-TSX-HB366F-681_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33567QQihZ010QQitem Z200222251991QQtcZphoto
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAWK-HPS-BRAKE-PADS-REAR-04-05-ACURA-TSX-HB145F-570_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33567QQihZ011QQitem Z320246566332QQtcZphoto

Min988
13-05-2008, 02:12 PM

$311 down to $247.30 front and rear pads Hawk ceramic. With the cheaper shipping option from heeltoeauto.com, Just had to email them and ask them about other shipping options, awesome service quick reply.

aaronng
19-05-2008, 09:07 AM
$311 down to $247.30 front and rear pads Hawk ceramic. With the cheaper shipping option from heeltoeauto.com, Just had to email them and ask them about other shipping options, awesome service quick reply.

Good price. Be aware that with the ceramics, you need to do the hard running-in when you first get it. Otherwise it will have weaker initial bite than stock.

mreuro4
19-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I changed at 60,000kms. Upgraded to Euro V6 Calipers and DBA Slotted Rotors on front. Fitted Bendix ultimate front, and Bendix Carbon on rear. Braking is excellent. Cheers

aaronng
19-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Which Euro V6 calipers? Are they 2-pot?

mreuro4
19-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I am not too sure. When I bought the car, the guy gave them too me. The pad itself it quite a bit larger. Braking has improved alot. Cheers

docker
19-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Which Hawks? HP, HP+ or Ceramic?
Endless SSS was alright. If you are doing street driving only, why not VN9500? CCA is too aggressive for the soft rotors in my opinion.Aaron, I am about to replace my front pads with some CCA's. Is this not a good idea? I have OEM rotors still but will be replacing them with DBA 4000 slotted in the next 6 months or so.

aaronng
19-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Aaron, I am about to replace my front pads with some CCA's. Is this not a good idea? I have OEM rotors still but will be replacing them with DBA 4000 slotted in the next 6 months or so.

Nothing wrong with them. Just that they will wear your OEM rotors quicker. If you are changing to DBA 4000 down the road, I don't see a problem.

EK Civic R
19-05-2008, 01:23 PM
arron, what discs are you using??

With my spoon pads my rotors are really getting a beating..

aaronng
19-05-2008, 02:01 PM
arron, what discs are you using??

With my spoon pads my rotors are really getting a beating..

I'm still on the original OEM discs. My left side rotors are getting grooved, while the right side is still pretty flat. I'm considering either getting DBA4000 slotted up front and solid in the rear ($600++) or going for Racingbrake UP hardened rotors (guessing $650-700 landed)

EK Civic R
19-05-2008, 02:03 PM
You reckin the J's Racing discs any good??
I got a set for the front for free from a friend who didn't need them brand new as well..

What do you think of slotting discs that haven't got them?

aaronng
19-05-2008, 02:13 PM
You reckin the J's Racing discs any good??
I got a set for the front for free from a friend who didn't need them brand new as well..

What do you think of slotting discs that haven't got them?

No harm trying if you can get them for free. Or you can sell them to me for a good price if they are from the CL7. :D

Most discs start as blanks, and the slots are machined in. You can get them machined, but make sure you use someone who has experience in doing it, otherwise you can get cracking around the edges when you push hard on the track.

EK Civic R
19-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Yea, I know.. But my mechanic knows someone who does it well..

I've heard that the CL7 discs are a different size. As in the diameter is the same, but the thickness is different so they don't actually fit.
I think the CL9 were 29mm and the CL7 are 26/27mm.. Thats why my friend didn't need them. He got the spoon calipers fitted, but they wouldn't fit over the stock/J's rotors..

You know of this?

aaronng
19-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Yea, I know.. But my mechanic knows someone who does it well..

I've heard that the CL7 discs are a different size. As in the diameter is the same, but the thickness is different so they don't actually fit.
I think the CL9 were 29mm and the CL7 are 26/27mm.. Thats why my friend didn't need them. He got the spoon calipers fitted, but they wouldn't fit over the stock/J's rotors..

You know of this?
Nope, haven't really heard of this. From the DBA catalog, the thickness for CL9 rotors is 28mm. Well, his loss is your gain. :)

EK Civic R
19-05-2008, 05:02 PM
hehe true.. but his got the spoon calipers..
I test drove his car a few weeks back..

The braking power is unbelieveable.. I so want a set~!!

aaronng
19-05-2008, 05:11 PM
hehe true.. but his got the spoon calipers..
I test drove his car a few weeks back..

The braking power is unbelieveable.. I so want a set~!!

If you plan to get Spoon calipers, get your friend to sell me the rotors for cheap. :D

Min988
19-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Aaron, I am about to replace my front pads with some CCA's. Is this not a good idea? I have OEM rotors still but will be replacing them with DBA 4000 slotted in the next 6 months or so.

I tried to order some DBA 4000 from Autobarn today, they dont stock them on the shelf so the guy called up DBA to see if he could get some in and was told they are discontinued in the 4000 series but are still availiable in the standard series in slotted.

aaronng
19-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I tried to order some DBA 4000 from Autobarn today, they dont stock them on the shelf so the guy called up DBA to see if he could get some in and was told they are discontinued in the 4000 series but are still availiable in the standard series in slotted.

My 2008 DBA catalog says that they have it. The part number for the front is 2510 (available in slotted, drilled and 4000 series), and rear is 2511 (available in slotted and and drilled only).

Min988
11-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Finally got round to installing my Hawks HPS pads (fronts/backs) and RDA slotted rotors (fronts) yesterday, The stopping power has increased marginally, however it feels as if the new pads can't lock up the wheels the same way my stocko's did, still waiting to wear both the rotor and pad in a bit more.

Ran into some issues with the one of the front rotor screw stripped the head on it while removing because of the locktite they use on them. Anyone by any chance know the type of screw that is so I can order it from the Honda spare parts department?

Here's a before pic and here's a crappy after pic, I'll take another later today with the wheel removed.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2750508275_eb0a276476.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2751333008_d9b8b4f008.jpg

I was told by the dealer during service 3 months ago that I had 10 percent left on my front pads its even on the service report, but when I pulled them out there was at least 55 percent remaining on the fronts and 70 percent on the rears. Was the service inspection even done on my car?

Crapdaz
11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Finally got round to installing my Hawks HPS pads (fronts/backs) and RDA slotted rotors (fronts) yesterday, The stopping power has increased marginally, however it feels as if the new pads can't lock up the wheels the same way my stocko's did, still waiting to wear both the rotor and pad in a bit more.

Ran into some issues with the one of the front rotor screw stripped the head on it while removing because of the locktite they use on them. Anyone by any chance know the type of screw that is so I can order it from the Honda spare parts department?

Here's a before pic and here's a crappy after pic, I'll take another later today with the wheel removed.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2750508275_eb0a276476.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2751333008_d9b8b4f008.jpg

I was told by the dealer during service 3 months ago that I had 10 percent left on my front pads its even on the service report, but when I pulled them out there was at least 55 percent remaining on the fronts and 70 percent on the rears. Was the service inspection even done on my car?

i had the same problem, 3 services(40-60k) @ 40 (50%), 50 (need to change), 60 (60%).

aaronng
11-08-2008, 01:23 PM

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2750508275_eb0a276476.jpg [img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2751333008_d9b8b4f008.jpg [img]

Your old rotors seem to be in good condition. You need to bed the HPS pads in. Look on the box, there are bedding in instructions. You MUST follow them. I had the same experience with Hawk Ceramics. Once you bed them in, they bite better than stock.

bjornzzz
21-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Dunno if i should revive this thread, but wth just doing it anyway.. Anyway my brake pad's almost gone, know that by the sharp shrieking sound when i brake on low speeds.. Should i just go to a brake shop and get them to replace it as i've got no knowledge in this stuff and got no tools to change it myself.. are places like "brake stop" recommended and get them to change it for me?? And should i just let them pick the brake pads or should i buy them myself and bring it to a shop and get them to put it on?

aaronng
21-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I recommend you buy the pads from the US or Japan, then get a regular workshop to install them for you. Which state are you in? You don't need to go to a brake workshop and this is a routine replacement part.

bjornzzz
21-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Looking through threads on brake pads, most people recommend the brands Hawk and Endless.. Mine's a street car, will never go on track, so are such expensive brake pads essential or should i just settle for cheaper ones?? Do places like brake stop supply brake pads?? I'm in melbourne eastern/south eastern suburbs btw..

aaronng
21-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Hawk pads are cheap. I paid $260 landed for front and rear sets. Cheaper than OEM.

bjornzzz
21-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Where did you buy yours? ebay?? I found one on ebay, here's the linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAWK-HPS-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-PADS-ACURA-CL-TSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcatego ryZ33567QQihZ010QQitemZ200254851533QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWD2V

Do tell me if it's the correct one please as i need to place an order asap.. cheers :thumbsup:

tony1234
21-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Where did you buy yours? ebay?? I found one on ebay, here's the linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAWK-HPS-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-PADS-ACURA-CL-TSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcatego ryZ33567QQihZ010QQitemZ200254851533QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWD2V

Do tell me if it's the correct one please as i need to place an order asap.. cheers :thumbsup:
Yep,right ones,Euro is same as Acura TSX.

bjornzzz
21-09-2008, 07:49 PM
are there any local retailers that stock them??

aaronng
21-09-2008, 10:48 PM
are there any local retailers that stock them??

I haven't seen any locally.

Omotesando
25-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm about to install some Ferodo XL pads onto the Euro Accord 05 next week, about time as never been able to get around doing it!

I heard its just a normal street pad but having had some rather strange experience with Bendix Ultimates with metallic materal before (suffered lots of cold whining noise, plus lack of braking power when too cold, and total lack of it when too hot, although otherwise very good in the right temp range), I decided to gamble on the Ferodos street pads over stock or the Bendix Ultimates or Premium for now.

Will report back after a few weeks time after bedding them in!

And wondering if any of you have used the Ferodo XL's before ? :)

aaronng
25-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I have used the Ferodo XL on the Astra to replace the Lucas pads that are stock Holden/Vauxhall. The XLs have less initial bite and do have less friction. But they don't eat up the rotors like the Lucas pads were doing (1 rotor per set of pads).

Crapdaz
25-09-2008, 11:51 PM
I have used the Ferodo XL on the Astra to replace the Lucas pads that are stock Holden/Vauxhall. The XLs have less initial bite and do have less friction. But they don't eat up the rotors like the Lucas pads were doing (1 rotor per set of pads).
thats crazy!

Omotesando
26-09-2008, 12:31 AM

Ok thanks for the information!

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should get a refund of it lol. But for only $75.00 a pair I'll see what I get. Much better than paying Honda a lot of for the stock pads, which couldn't get any worst anyway (too soft, initially grippy but leaves much deposits on the discs).

If anything I'll just swap them again for the Hawks Pads :(

:o :)

aaronng
26-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Ok thanks for the information!

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should get a refund of it lol. But for only $75.00 a pair I'll see what I get. Much better than paying Honda a lot of for the stock pads, which couldn't get any worst anyway (too soft, initially grippy but leaves much deposits on the discs).

If anything I'll just swap them again for the Hawks Pads :(

:o :)
Give it a go, the price is good and it is still adequate for street use.

bjornzzz
30-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Reviving this thread again, any1 know what's a decent price for a brake pad replacement?? not the pads, the labour for fitting.. Got the hawk performance hps pads and now need to get it put on the car.. DIY is not an option.. lol thanks.. :D

EDIT: was quoted $92 for a pad change at K-mart auto.. so that should be a benchmark.. Not sure if it includes a brake fluid change..

aaronng
30-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I don't trust k-mart. What state are you in?

bjornzzz
30-09-2008, 10:58 PM
was thinking about that too.. I'm in melbourne, outer eastern suburbs..
Suburb: Wantirna 3152 (for reference.. lol)

Oh and how long does it take?? the guys at k mart said 2-3 hours.. and i don't really think it takes that long..

Min988
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Your old rotors seem to be in good condition. You need to bed the HPS pads in. Look on the box, there are bedding in instructions. You MUST follow them. I had the same experience with Hawk Ceramics. Once you bed them in, they bite better than stock.

After 2 months of using the brakes even after proper bedding instructions I can finally say that the Hawks HPS approx after 1000kms (city) out brake OEM and the bite is very noticeable over stock and stopping power has definately improved. Initially I was left with the opinion that not much has changed over stock even after proper bedding in procedures, however that has changed after a couple of months of normal driving, I get the feeling the Hawks pads require alot more bedding in than the box recommends.

Crapdaz
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
After 2 months of using the brakes even after proper bedding instructions I can finally say that the Hawks HPS approx after 1000kms (city) out brake OEM and the bite is very noticeable over stock and stopping power has definately improved. Initially I was left with the opinion that not much has changed over stock even after proper bedding in procedures, however that has changed after a couple of months of normal driving, I get the feeling the Hawks pads require alot more bedding in than the box recommends.
agreed, mine only worn in better a couple of weeks ago.

and i've had them on for a while.....but cause i changed my rotors too.

did you?

Min988
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
agreed, mine only worn in better a couple of weeks ago.

and i've had them on for a while.....but cause i changed my rotors too.

did you?

I changed my pads and rotors at the same time as well.

Crapdaz
01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
yups so you had the same problem as me, longer time to break in.

bjornzzz
01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
was thinking about that too.. I'm in melbourne, outer eastern suburbs..
Suburb: Wantirna 3152 (for reference.. lol)

Oh and how long does it take?? the guys at k mart said 2-3 hours.. and i don't really think it takes that long..

lol still need help here.. ><..

Crapdaz
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Shouldn't take no longer than 1-2hr for pads, depending if you get a newbie or a pro. <--- cause they would charge you hourly.

Cant tell you from the top of my head cause i had my rotors put on at the same time.

Min988
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Took me 2hrs to change pads, fluid, and rotors. But I'm not a mechanic. They probably won't take 2-3 hours but they'll charge ya that.

sodaz
01-10-2008, 07:54 PM
My Endless SSS pads have finally been bedded in and perform like a star. No squealing anymore and the biting power is noticeably better. :thumbsup:

bjornzzz
01-10-2008, 10:10 PM
how much should they charge, or what's a reasonable price?? I'm guessing that all pad changes come with a brake fluid change or am i wrong to think that?

Crapdaz
02-10-2008, 07:27 AM
you are wrong.
depends if you want to change but recommended you should change unless you recently got your fluids changed recently.

CL9R
28-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi guys. So can anyone who knows type up a list of pads and rotor that cl9 can use including it's price....be really appreciated :)

enkay
28-10-2008, 02:27 PM
^^^
theres quite a few brands out there.
heres a site with most of them thou
Brakepads for front (http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=3369)
rotors for front (http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=3446)

btw its just heeltoes site, american prices.. but you get an idea

power_of_dreams
13-04-2009, 11:27 PM
*bump*

just wondering if the front/rear brake pads for the euro are generic across the range. i.e. do they fit dc5, civic etc etc...

anybody have any personal experience with aftermarket pads at a reasonable price?

BusterSonic12
14-04-2009, 12:40 PM
dc5R's pads dont fit in the euro. that's for sure.

I was using stock pads on wakefield twice so far, and recently just put in some new dixcel type m pads for the front and rear still running stock. heading down to wakefield tomorrow, so i shall let you guys know how it goes =)

power_of_dreams
14-04-2009, 01:22 PM
are dixcel type m for track or street?

BusterSonic12
14-04-2009, 01:33 PM

i think it's more of a street pad, but the type z was out of stock :p so i thought i will give these one a try. they are rated 0-500.

what's the temp rating for the stock pads?

tony1234
14-04-2009, 04:09 PM
i think it's more of a street pad, but the type z was out of stock :p so i thought i will give these one a try. they are rated 0-500.

what's the temp rating for the stock pads?
350C for stock pads i think.

zaqmlp
15-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Type M is for street use, but its reasonbly better then stock. For performance pads, type-z would be your choice! And if you want hardcore, Type-R are available which is stated as for competiton use.

aaronng
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I found a local dealer that sells Hawks, Ferodo, Endless, Stoptech, AP Racing and DBA. They are located near WSID at Arndell Park, just off Resevoir Road on the Blacktown side.

Got my rotors through them and it cost $100 less than the price I got from Bursons. They also do ADR-approved Goodridge braided brake lines for the Euro. Price is reasonable as well.

Edit: Old age is catching up to me. Site is www.vsport.com.au as pointed out by enkay.

enkay
11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I found a local dealer that sells Hawks, Ferodo, Endless, Stoptech, AP Racing and DBA. They are located near WSID at Arndell Park, just off Resevoir Road on the Blacktown side.

Got my rotors through them and it cost $100 less than the price I got from Bursons. They also do ADR-approved Goodridge braided brake lines for the Euro. Price is reasonable as well.

haha www.vsport.com.au =D
yer i got some quotes from them too, but no money atm for brake stuff

aaronng
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
haha www.vsport.com.au =D
yer i got some quotes from them too, but no money atm for brake stuff

Dammit, I can't believe I forgot the link. ahhaha

Stop buying expensive parts, then you can afford brakes. ahha

enkay
11-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Dammit, I can't believe I forgot the link. ahhaha

Stop buying expensive parts, then you can afford brakes. ahha

haha nah actually ive just been buildin a new comp for my room / some home theatre stuff

but im back to saving for my car again =D

tony1234
11-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Edit: Old age is catching up to me. Site is www.vsport.com.au as pointed out by enkay.
Interesting!Can you post up prices of what you got?What about brake fluid any suggestions?something better than OEM?............thx.

enkay
11-05-2009, 12:35 PM
okay prices i got for the stuff i wanted are:

Goodridge lines F&R: $224
Hawk ceramic pads: $194(front) $142(rear)

thats all i asked for

aaronng
11-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Interesting!Can you post up prices of what you got?What about brake fluid any suggestions?something better than OEM?............thx.

I got DBA4000 front rotors (blanks) for $162 each and DBA street rear rotors (blanks) for $90 each.

I got quoted $225 for the Goodridge ADR-approved brake lines. Good price considering the non-ADR ones are already $150-170 from Ebay landed here.

They respond very quickly via email as well.

tony1234
11-05-2009, 02:58 PM
I got DBA4000 front rotors (blanks) for $162 each and DBA street rear rotors (blanks) for $90 each.

I got quoted $225 for the Goodridge ADR-approved brake lines. Good price considering the non-ADR ones are already $150-170 from Ebay landed here.

They respond very quickly via email as well.
Thanks Aaron.Good prices.What about brake fluid?Do You/they recommend any?

Crapdaz
11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
nice find guys...

aaronng
11-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks Aaron.Good prices.What about brake fluid?Do You/they recommend any?

I am one of those people who advocate only Honda brake fluid in the Euro, because of the seals. It's good enough for street too. I bleed a little bit of fluid out of the calipers every year just to get any overheated stuff out. Maybe it's just my paranoia and using any other brand of equivalent DOT3 or 4 fluid is fine. Although, I have read somewhere that high performance brake fluids like Motul RBF600 can swell the seals if used for long durations (years) and that is a DOT4.

I'm sure there are many others who will flame me for trying to let Honda profit from us, but there are only 2 things that I will stick to Honda OEM for, which are the coolant and brake/clutch fluid.

xxb4xx
11-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Guys..

DB1481, Did not fit my car when I first tried, they were too big!, as in length..

Bendix.com.au, states that Euro CL9 with a 260mm rotor uses DB1391, and that a CL9 Euro with 282mm rotors uses DB1481..

Bloody Jap cars, this is a repeat of owning my Subaru, Why can't the be all the same like the commodores! you can't go wrong.

My Euro is a JUL03 build.. Luxury..

Maybe the Sport has the 282mm and the Luxury has the 260mm..?

aaronng
11-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Guys..

DB1481, Did not fit my car when I first tried, they were too big!, as in length..

Bendix.com.au, states that Euro CL9 with a 260mm rotor uses DB1391, and that a CL9 Euro with 282mm rotors uses DB1481..

Bloody Jap cars, this is a repeat of owning my Subaru, Why can't the be all the same like the commodores! you can't go wrong.

My Euro is a JUL03 build.. Luxury..

Maybe the Sport has the 282mm and the Luxury has the 260mm..?
That's the problem! CL9 Euros come with 300mm disc rotors!

Just checked the Bendix site. The info for the rear pad looks correct, but the info for the front pad is wrong!

I think I found the correct FMSI.
Front: 7657-D787
Rear: 7418-D537, 7418-D536, 7265-D365 (the first one, D537 should be the best fit)

xxb4xx
11-05-2009, 04:58 PM
So what are the db numbers?

How can everyone have them so wrong!

xxb4xx
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Man I hope you are right..

FMSI 7657-D787 = DB1393

Where did you find the FMSI?

It's listed in Bendix as being for an "Acura TL"

aaronng
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Man I hope you are right..

FMSI 7657-D787 = DB1393

Where did you find the FMSI?

It's listed in Bendix as being for an "Acura TL"

From http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/application_lists/2040902_PFC_App_Cross_P4.pdf

It shares the same FMSI as the CL, TL, old RL, TSX and Accord V6

The rear is shared with even more models. http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/application_lists/2040902_PFC_App_Cross_P3.pdf

xxb4xx
11-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Well dude, looking at the pic of DB1391 it looks spot on..

Now let's hope they keep it in stock at Auto One.

power_of_dreams
13-05-2009, 07:42 PM
bump

any of you guys still using hawks hps, how are you finding them? any personal experience with stock rotors?

aaronng
13-05-2009, 09:28 PM
bump

any of you guys still using hawks hps, how are you finding them? any personal experience with stock rotors?

I used Hawk Ceramics with stock rotors. They are good as long as you bed them in as per the instructions on the box.

xxb4xx
13-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Ps guys, after all the headaches, the correct DB conversion for the euro is DB1393

But.. It's a special order item not usually kept in stock, due to the rarity that euro owners actually change their own brakes (the general population) :)

aaronng
13-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Ps guys, after all the headaches, the correct DB conversion for the euro is DB1393

But.. It's a special order item not usually kept in stock, due to the rarity that euro owners actually change their own brakes (the general population) :)

I find in today's economy, nothing is ever kept in stock... except for commodore brakes. I was after basic Ferodo pads for the Astra, and even that had to be ordered in (took 3 weeks)

Min988
13-05-2009, 10:23 PM
bump

I'm using Hawks HPS on RDA rotors, they havent eatten into my RDA rotors at all for the past 9 months, I'm pretty harsh on them at times. HPS pads are pretty good, bite better than stock but they are very dusty. But I wouldn't buy them again, weren't as good as I was expecting for their price.

power_of_dreams
13-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I used Hawk Ceramics with stock rotors. They are good as long as you bed them in as per the instructions on the box.

I had a look online from US, the difference between a set of front and rear was minimal.

hawk ceramic set was US$143 without shipping
hawk hps set was US$139 without shipping

I'm using Hawks HPS on RDA rotors, they havent eatten into my RDA rotors at all for the past 9 months, I'm pretty harsh on them at times. HPS pads are pretty good, bite better than stock but they are very dusty. But I wouldn't buy them again, weren't as good as I was expecting for their price.

Well according to the site, they are supposed to be gentle of rotors.

What are my other options, I'm looking at $200ish for front and rear

aaronng
13-05-2009, 11:15 PM
What are my other options, I'm looking at $200ish for front and rear

You won't get much for $200 front and rear. Even 2 years ago, I paid $260 for the ceramics. For $200, you're looking at entry pads, which would be Ferodo XL or similar. Maybe the Bendix Premium, which is also supposed to be ceramic.

power_of_dreams
13-05-2009, 11:55 PM
You won't get much for $200 front and rear. Even 2 years ago, I paid $260 for the ceramics. For $200, you're looking at entry pads, which would be Ferodo XL or similar. Maybe the Bendix Premium, which is also supposed to be ceramic.

the hps front and rear are AUD$215 front and rear shipped from the usa, the ceramics slightly more.

how did you find the ceramics, would you buy them again?

aaronng
14-05-2009, 07:55 AM
the hps front and rear are AUD$215 front and rear shipped from the usa, the ceramics slightly more.

how did you find the ceramics, would you buy them again?

For street, yes. I would buy them again. But for track, no.

Crapdaz
14-05-2009, 08:55 AM
agreed on track with HPS is a no no.

enkay
14-05-2009, 09:45 AM
any tried the endless ssm, thinkin of them for track pads?

power_of_dreams
14-05-2009, 06:08 PM

agreed on track with HPS is a no no.

coolies, I'm just using them for street.
Out of ceramics and HPS (running on stock rotors) which would you prefer?
I noticed the HPS is marketed as a "street performance" pad, yet is cheaper than the ceramics :confused:

aaronng
14-05-2009, 08:20 PM
coolies, I'm just using them for street.
Out of ceramics and HPS (running on stock rotors) which would you prefer?
I noticed the HPS is marketed as a "street performance" pad, yet is cheaper than the ceramics :confused:

I believe ceramic is almost the same in performance, except that it has less dusting.

power_of_dreams
14-05-2009, 10:36 PM
right-o, hawk ceramics it is.

felixd
14-05-2009, 10:38 PM
is it better to use the ceramics brake pads for daily street use i want less dust though which brand to recommend

aaronng
14-05-2009, 11:21 PM
right-o, hawk ceramics it is.

Funny thing is after 2 trackdays, the ceramics probably overheated and cooked itself. Now whenever I drive, it dusts like crazy, because the pad has basically become tofu.

power_of_dreams
15-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Funny thing is after 2 trackdays, the ceramics probably overheated and cooked itself. Now whenever I drive, it dusts like crazy, because the pad has basically become tofu.

I won't be tracking so I suppose I should be safe :angel:
How do you find the intermediate pedal feel? There's nothing worse than brakes that are either on or off.

aaronng
15-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I won't be tracking so I suppose I should be safe :angel:
How do you find the intermediate pedal feel? There's nothing worse than brakes that are either on or off.

The ceramics are gradual. They slightly less initial bite, but brake harder as you press down on the pedal. Pretty good I reckon. They are not touchy at all.

blk05gli
15-05-2009, 10:09 PM
my mechanic recommended bendix and i went with it, did i make the wrong choice? car is daily driver and has never been on a track.

power_of_dreams
15-05-2009, 10:21 PM
also, what do you guys think about running diff brand pads front and rear

my rears are gone, my fronts are ok.
is it ok to run oem fronts and hawk rears, or should I swap all for hawk?

aaronng
15-05-2009, 11:46 PM
my mechanic recommended bendix and i went with it, did i make the wrong choice? car is daily driver and has never been on a track.
Bendix is fine for street. Hope you got Bendix Premium/General CT and not Bendix Ultimate. The Ultimate is aggressive on the rotors.

also, what do you guys think about running diff brand pads front and rear

my rears are gone, my fronts are ok.
is it ok to run oem fronts and hawk rears, or should I swap all for hawk?
It's fine, just change the rear as long as the left and right are the same brand/model.

The rears alone are so weak that they contribute very little when the car is under hard braking.

power_of_dreams
16-05-2009, 01:32 PM

ACURA TSX part numbers:

It seems the ones listed under TSX above are not the current model used in Australia. Yfin, if you are still on here, can you let me know how you went?

EuroSteve
16-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi All,

Could someone confirm the Hawk Ceramic part numbers for an 05' CL9? Is it HB366Z.681 for the front and HB366Z.681 for the rear?

I'm getting a bit of brake shudder when braking from 100km/h+ (and slow "shudder" when slowly pulling up at lights), so i'm thinking rotors are either warped or have build up on them. The first thing i'm going to do is replace the pads (since the OEM pads are just about buggered).

If that doesn't fix it, i'll get the rotors machined. Will running new pads on potentially warped rotors cause any damage to the pads?

On a side note, the OEM pads have a white paint dot that lines up with a paint dot on the caliper, does this mean they are the original pads?? I bought the car with 70k on it, it's now down 86k. Is that typical pad life?

Cheers,
Steve

aaronng
16-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi All,

Could someone confirm the Hawk Ceramic part numbers for an 05' CL9? Is it HB366Z.681 for the front and HB366Z.681 for the rear?

I'm getting a bit of brake shudder when braking from 100km/h+ (and slow "shudder" when slowly pulling up at lights), so i'm thinking rotors are either warped or have build up on them. The first thing i'm going to do is replace the pads (since the OEM pads are just about buggered).

If that doesn't fix it, i'll get the rotors machined. Will running new pads on potentially warped rotors cause any damage to the pads?

On a side note, the OEM pads have a white paint dot that lines up with a paint dot on the caliper, does this mean they are the original pads?? I bought the car with 70k on it, it's now down 86k. Is that typical pad life?

Cheers,
Steve
Get the ones for the 2004-2008 CL9 TSX listed on Heeltoeauto.com. I think the part number is listed there too. They sell the correct size.

86k is pretty good brake pad life in my opinion. It depends on driving style, but pure city driving can wear the pads out much quicker than 86k.

blk05gli
16-05-2009, 09:34 PM
^^ my experience has been that manual cars have longer brake change intervals than autos. Both my cars have about 100K on them, but the maxima has had 2 changes and the Euro only 1.

cheers

EuroSteve
17-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Get the ones for the 2004-2008 CL9 TSX listed on Heeltoeauto.com. I think the part number is listed there too. They sell the correct size.

86k is pretty good brake pad life in my opinion. It depends on driving style, but pure city driving can wear the pads out much quicker than 86k.

Cheers Arron :thumbsup:

For others that are interested, I can confirm the Hawk Ceramic part numbers (for CL9) are HB366Z.681 and HB145Z.570

zaqmlp
17-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Dixcel M can be used for both track and street depending on what car and what time you do on the track. If you are a novice, type-M will be fine, but if you cranking some good times on the track, type-Z is your friend.

xxb4xx
18-05-2009, 12:26 PM
In regards to brake life, mine still had some meat on them (not much) and thats 83000k's, no wonder why OEM's cost so much, usually the bendix pads I get wear out straight away.. but it might also have to do with the way I used to drive my previous car :)

Anyone know the actual brand / manufacturer or the specs (hard / soft) of the OEM Honda pads?

power_of_dreams
18-05-2009, 01:34 PM
In regards to brake life, mine still had some meat on them (not much) and thats 83000k's, no wonder why OEM's cost so much, usually the bendix pads I get wear out straight away.. but it might also have to do with the way I used to drive my previous car :)

Anyone know the actual brand / manufacturer or the specs (hard / soft) of the OEM Honda pads?

was it both front and rear that made 83000?

xxb4xx
18-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Just the fronts.. and they probably had another 10,000 left in them!,

The rears still look brand new, I left them as is.. not sure if the previous owner did them recently or not, as they still are 80% meaty.

power_of_dreams
04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
bit of a bump, posted up the same question in where to buy, but not getting many responses.

how much should I be paying roughly to get a set of pads changed at an independent (non-dealership)? (Labor only, providing parts myself)

sodhi90
04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I went to a brake and exhaust place across the road from Honda LOL. I paid $400 for Brand new Bendix General CT pads all around,all four rotors machined professionally, and a full brake fluid flush. i thought that was reasonable, no squeal, good bite and low dust exactly what i wanted :)

Front pads $85 a pair
Rear pads $78 a pair

Labor was $154

plus other costs...

power_of_dreams
04-07-2009, 11:50 PM
thanks for the reply, but im a bit confused.

the labor ($154) you paid was for machining of rotors, full bf flush and installation of rotors and pads?

sodhi90
05-07-2009, 04:45 PM
yes that is correct

revivor
18-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi,

Was wondering if $210 for front only brake pads (Bendix) & rotor machining is reasonable? that includes labour.

tony1234
18-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Hi,

Was wondering if $210 for front only brake pads (Bendix) & rotor machining is reasonable? that includes labour.
Hmmmm,seems a little expensive.I'm thinking round the $160 mark.

SPQR
18-09-2009, 10:47 PM
The ceramics are gradual. They slightly less initial bite, but brake harder as you press down on the pedal. Pretty good I reckon. They are not touchy at all.

Agreed. I just had new Hawk ceramic pads with new bling rotors installed. I did the proper pad breaking-in act. The initial bite is so gradual it gave my wife a fright when she drove the car. I almost got a handbag over my head!

doosra
20-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi,

well i just had my front rotors machined and replaced the front pads with OEM pad's.. and it cost me $260..... if i went for aftermarket pads, it would have been $160 all up for machined rotors and pads including labour.

i'm not sure how much bendix pads cost..

SPO73D
21-09-2009, 06:01 AM
I grabbed front and rears Bendix Genreal CT's yesterday.

Fronts were $65
Rears were $50

aaronng
16-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Just a quick update on my NR pads and DBA 4000 blanks.

Just did my pink slip for rego and had the brake tested as part of the procedure. Printout says Max deceleration as 1.23 G! LOL, I wonder how hard were they hitting the brakes.

V205
23-02-2010, 05:04 PM
After reading through 18 pages... I still don't know which ones is best to replace the OEM brake pads for a CL9 daily driver with no track usage to resolve the braking shudder problem. :(

sodhi90
23-02-2010, 06:52 PM
After reading through 18 pages... I still don't know which ones is best to replace the OEM brake pads for a CL9 daily driver with no track usage to resolve the braking shudder problem. :(

Go Bendix General CT stealth series pads. They just released an update which includes stealth technology which is supposed to eliminate noise from brakes and reduces vibration. im running Bendix General CTs and they have great bite and no noticeble brake fade.

+ Also im running OEM rotors and they haven't warped or caused shuddering since I changed to Bendix General CT pads

aaronng
23-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah, Bendix General CT is a good one to use since you can easily buy it locally.

If you were buying from overseas, then Hawk Ceramics. No shudder with the Hawk but you lose some initial bite.

V205
23-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys..so even the current new OEM will still cause the same problem on the CL9?

It's interesting as my 2002 CRV is still on the factory pads with no problems at all. Different compound?

aaronng
23-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys..so even the current new OEM will still cause the same problem on the CL9?

It's interesting as my 2002 CRV is still on the factory pads with no problems at all. Different compound?

Different compound on the CRV pads.

V205
24-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks Aaron.

Will the Bendix General GT fix require the discs to be machined first or will the pads get rid of of the residue on the discs?

Is this an issue for both the front and rear OEM pads??

Anyone tried CRV pads on their CL9 as they share the same shape?

aaronng
24-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks Aaron.

Will the Bendix General GT fix require the discs to be machined first or will the pads get rid of of the residue on the discs?

Is this an issue for both the front and rear OEM pads??

Anyone tried CRV pads on their CL9 as they share the same shape?

You don't need to machine the discs unless they were already warped (if they were warped, I would get new discs instead of machining). I would lightly sand the discs with sandpaper though

The wobble would come from the front, but the rear discs can get deposits too because of the parking brake.

V205
24-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Aaronng, does the wobble disappear straight away with new pads?

aaronng
24-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Aaronng, does the wobble disappear straight away with new pads?

Depends. If it is from pad deposits from the OEM pads, you just need to do a few hard braking runs from 80km/h down to 20km/h. That will pretty much remove the old deposits almost instantly.

However if the discs are warped from overheating, then the wobble won't disappear.

power_of_dreams
24-02-2010, 05:17 PM
FWIW, I'm running hawk ceramics at the back.

They were a little spongy to start with, but now that I'm used to them, I don't really notice the difference between them and OEM

V205
24-02-2010, 08:31 PM
What I noticed is that my wobble isn't always there when in the first 5-10 mins.. but seems to be more evident on freeways and on a downhill. That would be more indicative of the deposit issue? A warped disc would be wobbling in all breaking conditions even in the first few mins of driving?

aaronng
24-02-2010, 09:44 PM
What I noticed is that my wobble isn't always there when in the first 5-10 mins.. but seems to be more evident on freeways and on a downhill. That would be more indicative of the deposit issue? A warped disc would be wobbling in all breaking conditions even in the first few mins of driving?

It depends on the speed at which you apply the brakes.

EG5
24-02-2010, 10:01 PM
New pads , New disc will sort that wobble problem

tony1234
25-02-2010, 06:11 AM
New pads , New disc will sort that wobble problem
What are the Acre pads that you are selling like?where are they made,what grades(street,track) etc.?

biee2
25-02-2010, 09:08 PM
where can i get bendix ct pads? they sound lik a reasonably good pad. also im still using the oem rotors so hoping the new pads wont be to harsh on them.

SPO73D
25-02-2010, 09:35 PM
where can i get bendix ct pads? they sound lik a reasonably good pad. also im still using the oem rotors so hoping the new pads wont be to harsh on them.

WHere abouts are u located...

Some car part stores have them, but it would depend on ure location

biee2
25-02-2010, 09:38 PM
im from melbourne victoria east side.....hope this helps. i was wandering if there is lik a store or something....even online where i could buy them

V205
27-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Anyone here tried the Acre Super Fighters? I'm gonna pull the trigger soon...

T.I.X
22-03-2010, 04:00 PM
anyone tried endless mx72 before? if so, feedback would be much appreciate ! cheerss..

tpphan
22-03-2010, 04:33 PM
anyone tried endless mx72 before? if so, feedback would be much appreciate ! cheerss..

Yes, got them on the fronts now.

Much better bite then OEM, also find them better than Hawks Ceramics. Noise level seem similar, I don't know about dust, I clean my rims fairly often, I see no difference. :) I find MX-72's more progressive than the Hawks.

I believe temp range is from 0-700c. Basically with pads, what you pay for is what you get.

Hawks are good value, still use them on the rears.

sodaz
01-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Quick report. I've gone back to stock pads for now. The Endless SSS pads over time produced a lot more dust than stock and wore really quick. The mechanic from my last service told me that only 10-20% was left.

Compared to stock, the SSS pads bites a lot harder which is great for hard braking but not as good for everyday driving (very jerky). I'm thinking of using another type of aftermarket pad down the track now.

TRaNz
01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
^^ oh geee.....i just got my Endless SSS pads the other day....**sigh** LOL
im just hunting for some suitable rotors...

sodaz
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM
^^ oh geee.....i just got my Endless SSS pads the other day....**sigh** LOL
im just hunting for some suitable rotors...

Don't worry too much mate. They're good brake pads with heaps of bite but they certainly won't last long.

I wonder if Project u pads are any good in comparison.

aaronng
02-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Quick report. I've gone back to stock pads for now. The Endless SSS pads over time produced a lot more dust than stock and wore really quick. The mechanic from my last service told me that only 10-20% was left.

Compared to stock, the SSS pads bites a lot harder which is great for hard braking but not as good for everyday driving (very jerky). I'm thinking of using another type of aftermarket pad down the track now.
Have you visually checked the pad thickness yourself? I didn't find the SSS that jerky. I liked it so much better than the gentle Hawk Ceramics. Was a great progressive biter, better than Hawk where you could control the amount of bite using brake pedal pressure. I am now using Project Mu NR and that is has strong initial bite. When I first drove it, it felt like your brake pedal was only fully off or 50% on! I couldn't get on the pedal gently enough to have smooth braking. But after 1 year, it has become more gentle probably because of the bedding in and me getting used to using touchy brakes.

TRaNz
02-05-2010, 03:14 PM
How long did your SSS last for Aaron?
THis still with the same DBA 4000?

aaronng
02-05-2010, 05:33 PM
How long did your SSS last for Aaron?
THis still with the same DBA 4000?

The SSS were on Nick's car. I'm now using Project Mu NR that I installed at the same time as the DBA4000.

panda_oz
21-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Thought I might chime in. Around 3 months ago I started experiencing brake shudder in my 03 Euro. I checked my front pads (stock) and they looked fine and had lots of meat left. After reading varoius posts regarding shudder under brakes, I decided to change my front pads (to try and remove the build up and at the same time get some more bite). So I have been using the Acre pads and they are absolutely awesome. It took around 3 weeks of daily driving to get rid of the brake shudder and assumingly remove the deposits. I now have super smooth braking and significantly higher bite than the stock pads. There is however more brake dust but it is a wrothy tradeoff.....

kksh
27-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I had shudders on my brakes and ended up changing the rotors to RBA Slotted rotors and RBA rotors. Heaps of dust but brakes great! Maybe I should have just changed the pads to save some $$$

Ken-f
27-06-2010, 10:18 PM
How much would an average set of pads cost (4)?? Was quoted $168 installed. Is that a good price or should I maybe try DIY? A bit concerned about safety of DIY'ing.

acura_ek1
28-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Will Oem rotors be ok for the odd track day?

aaronng
28-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Will Oem rotors be ok for the odd track day?

Yes, they will be ok. Pad selection is more important.

hooyn
18-09-2010, 11:05 PM
ok both my rear brakes are starting to make the sound that tells me i need to change the brake pads.

as im going to be selling the car off what is the cheapest but still safe option out there ?

and DIY shouldnt be too hard i imagine ?

hooyn
18-09-2010, 11:10 PM
how much did you guys pay for bendix general gt's ?

im assuming i can just pop into supercheap/autobarn to get a set ?

grifty
18-09-2010, 11:18 PM
supercheap is hopeless, either go to autobarn or bursons.

hooyn
19-09-2010, 03:30 PM
will i need a part number or something to bring with me when i go to autobarn.

any help will be great. gonna go get a set tomorrow