PDA

View Full Version : Stiffer chasis...

EK Civic R
15-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I have EG civic and I have just got new suspension...
So far I have f/r strut bars and ITR sway bars...

But I have this feeling, when driving on twisty roads, that the chasis seems to be flexing... I'm not to sure how to describe it, but I can also hear this sound like metal flexing...

What can I do to stop this flex and noise without going over board eg roll cage....

ekslut
15-08-2005, 10:29 AM
as many bars as possible

B Pillar Bar
C Pillar Bar
Trunk Bar
Floor Bar
Fender Brace

thats all I can think of now...

Steer^Gimic
15-08-2005, 10:56 AM
a little flex isnt such a bad thing.

and trev your right about all those bars, but by the time you've finished buying all of them, you could of had a welded, painted cage

ekslut
15-08-2005, 01:13 PM
yeah, I know. But if you want something that is easy to remove, the bars are easier. Just simply bolt on.

EK Civic R
16-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I see...
So many bars..
I'll have to buy and try i guess...

Thanks for the info

vincent
16-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Do-luck makes some quality stiffness adjustable bars

bennjamin
16-08-2005, 07:14 PM
start with a front and rear upper strut brace. Then , if not stiff enough venture into lower trailing bars etc and b/c pillar bars etc.

Or maybe jkust get a larger rear swaybar and make that suspension work harder instead of worryign of "body flex" :)

Steer^Gimic
16-08-2005, 10:22 PM
just dont go over board!

NuGeN
17-08-2005, 01:00 AM
as many bars as possible

B Pillar Bar
C Pillar Bar
Trunk Bar
Floor Bar
Fender Brace

thats all I can think of now...

Does anyone have any pictures of a floor bar or a fender brace?
I can't quite picture where they go in my head.

EuroAccord13
17-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Or go hardcore, strip the car to bare metal chassis and spot weld for extra rigidity...

ekslut
17-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of a floor bar or a fender brace?
I can't quite picture where they go in my head.

Check out here for the fender brace:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26000

Check out here for the floor bar:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23924

The fender braces go under the front fenders. And the floor bar goes along the floor behind the front seats (where the back seat passengers feet go)

Kawasaki
17-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Ive seen those fender braces... how effective do you think they are?

ekslut
17-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Can't imagine they would do heaps, but I am sure you will be able to feel a bit of difference. Coz the front is already fairly stiff. But I am getting some anyways sometime soonish, once I have sorted out a few other things :D

**Ghost**
25-08-2005, 04:52 AM
so wot order should i get em in?

ORACER
25-08-2005, 08:10 AM
if you really want a stiff chassis, go get some rollcage..
i have front and rear strutbar, floorbar, b-pillar, custom trunkbar, and swaybars but i still dont find it stiff enough..lol
or if you dont want rollcage, add a z-bar that connects to you c-pillar-rearstrutbar and trunkbar.. (emracing or memoryfab make them)

ekslut
25-08-2005, 08:41 AM
I think you should do it in this order:

1) Front Strut
2) Rear Strut
3) Rear Swaybar
4) C Pillar Bar
5) Front Swaybar
6) B Pillar Bar
7) Floor Bar
8) Fender Brace

But it all depends on convenience. The only reason I put C pillar before B pillar is because it doesn't effect people trying to get into the rear seats.

z3lda
25-08-2005, 10:21 AM
rear lower tie bar
front lower tie bar

saxman
25-08-2005, 11:44 AM
we've been talking on the california sol board about the possiblity of using an expanding foam injected into the frame rails on our cars. This is a rather common modification among the old ford mustang owners... basically consists for using a two part expanding foam thats meant for chasis reinforcement being applied into the hollow frame rails, reinforcing them from flex. On the del sol's especially, the flex that causes the problems is from the front to the back of the car, not side to side, so all of these pillar bars, floor braces, etc are worthless

also, keep in mind adding braces isn't necessarily better. I ran at a test and tune day at the track(autox, not drag) and was consistently running about a second and a half faster WITHOUT a rear strut tower bar than with it in.

wynode
25-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I would personally do it in this order (based on most effective first)

Rear Swaybar with tiebar
Rear Strut (if hatch, otherwise swap with #3)
Front Strut
Front Swaybar
C Pillar Bar
B Pillar Bar
Floor Bar
Fender Brace

lerroy
11-09-2005, 08:14 AM
would you see a need to upgrade the oem front strut bar on a integra ?

wanna make it stiffer just got the swaybar thinking the rear strut and then on from there

Fr3aKi3
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
we've been talking on the california sol board about the possiblity of using an expanding foam injected into the frame rails on our cars. This is a rather common modification among the old ford mustang owners... basically consists for using a two part expanding foam thats meant for chasis reinforcement being applied into the hollow frame rails, reinforcing them from flex. On the del sol's especially, the flex that causes the problems is from the front to the back of the car, not side to side, so all of these pillar bars, floor braces, etc are worthless

also, keep in mind adding braces isn't necessarily better. I ran at a test and tune day at the track(autox, not drag) and was consistently running about a second and a half faster WITHOUT a rear strut tower bar than with it in.

With regards to the foam how durable is it? I have read that after a period of time more foam needs to be injected as it shrinks.

saxman
11-09-2005, 05:38 PM
With regards to the foam how durable is it? I have read that after a period of time more foam needs to be injected as it shrinks.
there is foam designed specifically for injecting into a chasis for this purpose. I haven't ever heard anything about it shrinking, in fact the way it works, I really don't think you could even inject more foam if you wanted to.

type one
11-09-2005, 07:16 PM
you are running a rear ITR swaybar?? are you sure the sound you are hearing isn't the bar ripping your subframe??

hmmm to counteract that - you should invest in a trunk bar and C pillar bar.

saxman
11-09-2005, 07:52 PM
you are running a rear ITR swaybar?? are you sure the sound you are hearing isn't the bar ripping your subframe??

hmmm to counteract that - you should invest in a trunk bar and C pillar bar.
see, I disagree... the proper way to counteract the subframe tearing out is by properly reinforcing it

Terry
12-09-2005, 11:45 AM
i spend few years to collect the following items:

1) Front Strut
2) Rear Strut
3) Rear Swaybar
4) Front Swaybar
5) Tein Coilovers

So far no one can beat me in round about......is money well spend so give it a go~:D

EGB16A
12-09-2005, 02:18 PM
would you see a need to upgrade the oem front strut bar on a integra ?

wanna make it stiffer just got the swaybar thinking the rear strut and then on from there

i'd also like to know this, but for a civic. Am i going to notice a difference if i changed to something like a cusco brace (thicker/larger). Or is it advisable just to stick with the standard brace?