PDA

View Full Version : wheel wobbling

BlitZ
15-08-2005, 04:09 PM
When i back off and the car is rolling it feels like the my front left wheel wobbles abit...
this is intermittent.. ..

Checked my wheel its on correctly and tight
Hub nut is on and hasnt moved
Checked the hub for play .. all seems fine.
Full lock steering and turn - no problems (not cv)
checked engine mounts.. all fine..;)
happens when i going stright

i have read that busted wheel bearing would make a scheeching sound.. and not wobble like what im feeling..
what else could it be?

anyone experienced anything..

checked engine mounts.. all fine..

might have to bring it to robert to get it checked.. but the problem is not easily reproduced.. might have to drive around for liek 20 minutes..

thanks in advance,
daniel

bennjamin
15-08-2005, 04:57 PM
possibly the actual wheel is out of balance ( the tyre on the rim is not straight) or perhaps your front alignment is out of whack.

HRV-80Y
15-08-2005, 05:26 PM
possibly the actual wheel is out of balance ( the tyre on the rim is not straight) or perhaps your front alignment is out of whack.

yeh goes along d same lines...id say its due 2 mayb ur actually tyre deformed ?

fly_vti
15-08-2005, 05:28 PM

man i got that on my old car, goes your gearnob shake a little aswell? and the faster you go the more it wobbles? i had that. it was my my driveshaft.. theres these 3 nut things on them they could be snapped. get them checked, cost me $60bux from where i got mine fixed. go to good peformance in yenorra nsw

redliner
15-08-2005, 05:33 PM
wheel balancing mate
thats all u probably need

BlitZ
15-08-2005, 10:34 PM
man i got that on my old car, goes your gearnob shake a little aswell? and the faster you go the more it wobbles? i had that. it was my my driveshaft.. theres these 3 nut things on them they could be snapped. get them checked, cost me $60bux from where i got mine fixed. go to good peformance in yenorra nsw

which nut is this?

I am abit weary about the wheel theory as it isnt caused by speed differences..
Nevertheless ill rotate my wheels and see how it goes...

What i noticed today is it seems like its coming from the centre of the car... liek the front diff section...you could feel a little vibration oh the floor pan... and not the gknob (if thats what u call it where the input shafts are .. im not sure)

but could anything break there?

Its not bad enough to bring the the mechanics cause they wouldnt find it... i might have to wait till it breaks or gets worst.. its only minor now.. but tis there

wynode
15-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Could be a wheel weight that has fallen off the rim.........so try swapping your rims around for a start.

Otherwise it could even be a bent driveshaft.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=312018&postcount=23 (Read the rest of the thread too maybe)

Gluck and let us know what it is!

ECU-MAN
16-08-2005, 09:32 PM
check your wheels for flat spots

this happens to FWD cars if tyres have been left on the rear to long, you only notice it when you put them on the front.

viperx
16-08-2005, 11:18 PM
What do you mean by wobbles?
Jack up the car and see if the left wheel moves independently to the right... that's a steering rack problem

BlitZ
17-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Jack up the car and see if the left wheel moves independently to the right... that's a steering rack problem
nope

ginganggooly
17-08-2005, 02:32 PM
my steering was wobbling before my cv bolt sheared off and the wheel came loose... ;)

heist
17-08-2005, 03:09 PM
i had the same problem, was my wheel hub bearings, trust me, i tried everything like you did....

fly_vti
17-08-2005, 04:12 PM
which nut is this?

I am abit weary about the wheel theory as it isnt caused by speed differences..
Nevertheless ill rotate my wheels and see how it goes...

What i noticed today is it seems like its coming from the centre of the car... liek the front diff section...you could feel a little vibration oh the floor pan... and not the gknob (if thats what u call it where the input shafts are .. im not sure)

but could anything break there?

Its not bad enough to bring the the mechanics cause they wouldnt find it... i might have to wait till it breaks or gets worst.. its only minor now.. but tis there

yeah i could feel it in the floorpan also this is how you can tell. :thumbsup: jack your car up and put your car into 1st gear' 'ithink thats the gear' or nutural then turn your tire with your hands forward slowly (TRY BOTH TYRES) and listen to the shafts turning, if you hear or feel friction at a specific point while turning or if you hear a clicking or knocking sound then you have the problem i had, the nut thing is connected to the think that makes your wheel spin i think the 'disk'. they usually crack if you corner too hard. or do excessive burnouts.. dont ignore this, if the nuts are completly ignored and broken it could damage your shole drive shaft. :cool:

fly_vti
17-08-2005, 04:14 PM

or try what this guy has said, and if your wheel wobbles then you got some sort of balancing problem, or maybe cv or joint probs. get it check out at a mechanic. where you located?

Captiva_Blue
17-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Have either of your front tires ever gone all the way down? If so, the sidewall may have been damaged. I had the same problem. Wheel felt wobbley when coasting and the car pulled to the left. Problem went away when I had the tires rotated.. Wasn't the alignment, there was actually a defect like a crease in the sidewall..

BlitZ
17-08-2005, 05:07 PM
i dont think its the wheel hub as the wheel doesnt move if ishake the wheel left and right... ie. pushing one side in and pushng one side out. its not vibrating..

Ive tried turning the wheel to listen for rough patches or sounds.. -nothing...

however i do hear a click when i dont rev match it properly.. like when i deliberately poping clutch in and out (testing it) its like its got play before it turn the wheel.. like a really slight though..

I dont want to bring it to the mechanic and have him suspect things and go off changing my CV and then hub then onto my steering... thats why im abit weiry about the problem.. i trust hanny's though.. might bring it there.

vinnY
11-08-2008, 02:13 PM
bumping up an uber old thread
wondering if you ever found the problem dan?
seem to have the same problem myself..

fairly easy to replicate.. when going off throttle it'll make the whole car wobble but generally drive fine

Frankie
11-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Could be the wheel is out of balance wit the rim

or it might be how you screwd the nuts bak onto the car have a look at the chart with the 5stud or 4 stud which ever one u got and that is the correct way to put your wheel on

http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/data/500/lugTorque.jpg

aaronng
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Are you using aftermarket rims? Do you have hubcentric rings? Could be a bent driveshaft if there isn't a wheel bearing noise.

dsp26
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM

betting on that.

hey benn, remember how we had to angle grind the lug nuts of the mrs car and i ended up grinding some of the rims... that screwed the ba;ance so hard... was wobbling hard above 90km.. really prevented the car from even getting to 110km easily... but anyway, because i didn't notice it early enough wheel bearing rooted lol. at least i know now why they die... wheel balance is a major contributor!!

dslt
11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Had the same problem. Changed intermediate bearing, and wobbleness was gone

bennjamin
11-08-2008, 07:17 PM
out of wheel balance and out of alignment and too low , will kill wheel bearings.

vinnY
11-08-2008, 10:41 PM
torque sequence is fine, using stock rims so i've made sure they're actually hubcentric

seems to be an intermittent problem actually.. usually happens when accelerating in second and sometimes at 100+km/h speeds in fourth or fifth
and usually when i let it coast a bit at high speeds to settle at the speed limit i.e. 120 to 100-110

CB7_OWNER
11-08-2008, 11:39 PM
If all sussy components have been checked..and wheels...i'd say its front or rear engine mount

outatime
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
vinny, the tie rods or rack ends might be fckd. try to shake the wheel with your hands if they wobble that's it..

vinnY
12-08-2008, 01:13 AM
yeah the left side seems to be a bit wobbily actually on the horizontal axis.. which is why i've been trying to look for replacements :) guess the 12 year old tie rod ends are a bit worn :p
will be getting the tie rod ends soon and see if it helps.. will be having a bushing overhaul and stud conversion/different wheels so i'll see if problems persist after that..:)

outatime
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah i suggest be careful or refrain from driving your car until you get that sorted. you dont want those tierods get pulled while driving on the freeway..

EG3B16
12-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Im having a similar problem when im up at speeds of 90-100Km/h.

Im hoping that all i need is just a wheel balance.

I have change my tie rod ends and i dont think thats the problem.

My steering wheel doesnt really wobble... its more that I can feel the car wobble from the front... i think it may be the wheels...

HELP!.. hehe

cheers,

outatime
12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
i think u just need a good wheel balancing

BRacinU
22-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Could be alot of things
CV's - bearing can be worn check to see if they stick or if u hear clicking noises when turning
Bushes - symtoms are floating steering, while free spinning the wheel shouldnt move horozontally, like if u pull it toward u
Tyres/Balance - best checked with tools/machine
Could also be something loose, once had my brake pads changed n they didnt secure the pad properly to the hub so it was wobbling best way to check is jack the side up and pull the wheel around wheels are only designed to spin around, turn with steering and move vertically with suspension. Pull it and should be able to see where its loose/wobbling.