15-08-2005, 10:35 PM
hey guys
need some help with soem technical info again

ok
im looking at some rims for my ek4
and im set on getting a set of 15 inch gram lights 57S

now what i dont understand is the offset
ive done soem reading online but still dont quite get teh concept
so can someone put it in dummy terms for me?

ek4 stock rims are 15x6+ 45
the gram lights 15 inches are 15x6.5 +38

what exactly does that mean and what effect is it gonna have on my car

thanx guys

CTR Coupe
16-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Heres what your looking for Gelo
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22590

2 points
Affects the size of brakes you can squeeze inside the wheel.
Affects the track of the car.

Now you just need to understand how track affects your car.
(I've been told what it does but I can't remember off the top of my head)

EK9
16-08-2005, 04:59 AM
Woohoo sumone linked my thread :p

Anyway, gelo this is wot i think based on wot i know and have read online...

if ur new rims now have +38 offest compared to ur stock +45, this means the mounting position of the wheel is closer to the imaginary centreline of the rim. hence the rims/tyre will sit further out on the car - ie closer to ur fender, and having a wider rim/tyre will increase that. whether this rim will fit or suit ur car, u should probably speak to a tyre shop... but i've seen with most honda's ppl tend to stick with a +40 to +45 offset which is close to stock.

as for track (now i'm just using common sense to guess)... if these new rims/tyres sit further out on ur car, the driving line will obviously change. by how much i got no idea... mite change the balance of the car too. but then that mite be thinking of the extremes. think toyota echo and a ferrari and how wide apart the tyres sit... i'm guessin that's track.

panda[cRx]
16-08-2005, 05:26 AM
offset is the length the CENTRE of the mag (where the bolts are) are off from the centre.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/images/tech/offset.gif

egSi
16-08-2005, 08:14 AM
']offset is the length the CENTRE of the mag (where the bolts are) are off from the centre.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/images/tech/offset.gif

nice pic loz, that should be saved somewhere.

Steer^Gimic
16-08-2005, 08:32 AM
a fat offset means you cover wider track
a wider track means you achieve a lower center of gravity
lower center of gravity means your car handles better

i had a fat offset on the sir that it buckled the guards. looked fkn cool and handled very well

Astro
16-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Gelo...38+ offset should fit no worries. i have 35+ offset on my car now and its fine...looks kinda tough with the wheel close to the guards actually...though for track i use the stock EK4 rim 45+ offset and its the way to go..more direct steering and control...(that is my experience anyway)

gelo
16-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Gelo...38+ offset should fit no worries. i have 35+ offset on my car now and its fine...looks kinda tough with the wheel close to the guards actually...though for track i use the stock EK4 rim 45+ offset and its the way to go..more direct steering and control...(that is my experience anyway)

yeah thanx astro
im gonna get semis on my stockos and use those 4 track anyway
the gramlights are for street use and to look like a sikkent

thanx 4 the replies guys
ill prob talk to some tyre places just to make sure
but for those that inputted, much appreciated :thumbsup:

kOncept
16-08-2005, 11:58 AM
i know it's entirely up to you but i think putting semis on the gram lights would give you a faster time on the track?

bennjamin
16-08-2005, 12:12 PM
moved to our sussy/handling arena for some tech discussion :)

SiReal
16-08-2005, 12:22 PM
when u think about it, its only a matter of millimeters. like 5 millimetres aint much as all...and in ur case, 7 millimetries..if ur afraid it will hit the guards, just choose a narrower yet legal tire for that width. should be no probs.

I learnt HEAPS by buying a set of rims..even though it cost me money, i now understand how to buy them as opposed to knowing nothing at all!...good on you for having the initiative! good luck with the purchase and i hope to see pics of ur car them on :D

gelo
16-08-2005, 11:10 PM
i know it's entirely up to you but i think putting semis on the gram lights would give you a faster time on the track?

still tracking my car stock atm
i wanna stick to the honda specs when im going flat out racing
:thumbsup:

tho i would consider anotehr set of light weigth rims for track once i start modding
*cmonnnn 1'18*

joneblaze
17-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Angelo, i had a fantastic set of JDM Enkeis in black once... 15" x 6.5" and +35 offset I believe. THey sat beautifully on the DC4, had a really phat aggressive stance (as others have said, they filled out the guard somewhat), and IMO (after a well tuned wheel alignment) the car handled better than when it was rolling on stock +42 (?) fat fives.

They were great rims too... kinda miss them. Too bad they were apparently buckled then "unuseable" for road driving. :rolleyes: Pfft.

Good luck with the new rims mate!

ginganggooly
18-08-2005, 06:59 PM
They were great rims too... kinda miss them. Too bad they were apparently buckled then "unuseable" for road driving. :rolleyes: Pfft.

Good luck with the new rims mate! *chuckle*

i love the look of wheels with smaller positive offset, they make the car look a tad more agressive and filled out... in theory the wider track should make the car a bit dartier.

i've heard stories about changes in offset stressing out wheel bearings and stuff though... don't know how much truth there is to the rumors though, and maybe a 7mm change isn't enough to do any damage.

gelo
19-08-2005, 02:11 AM
i've heard stories about changes in offset stressing out wheel bearings and stuff though... don't know how much truth there is to the rumors though, and maybe a 7mm change isn't enough to do any damage.

ooo
tell me more