PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pod Air Filter

4PERVZ
18-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Hey people just one quick question i have a K&N POD air filter and its well over due for a good clean. Wat do people do 2 clean their pod filters... wat is da best way??

[[d a n n y]]
18-02-2004, 09:17 AM
clean it with detergent or soap and water

4PERVZ
18-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Yea i did that but the filter is still black?? Is the K&N cleaning gear any good??

Tofu
18-02-2004, 09:46 AM
dip it in a bucket of mineral methelated spirit after you have removed the larger dirt particles..
soak it in for a while then take out and rinse under running water...
that should work

[[d a n n y]]
18-02-2004, 09:46 AM
if u have a K&N kit and filter use the KIT

XXpl0Sive
18-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Yeh as Danny said, can't you purchase a cleaning kit?

For me, I'm just buying cheaper filters like Simota ($50) and when it comes time for a service, throw it out and buy a new one :)

s2k
18-02-2004, 12:08 PM
yeah you can get chaep simota filter now, which when tested a few years ago in hot 4s , it performed pretty good compared to other big brand, i think it was 3rd. there wasnt much different with the K&N and simota.
they are only like around $25 in Adelaide, and sometimes they even $20 on special, so i pretty much just go out and buy a new one every 10000KM when i do my service, and ditch the old one.

but you can clean it with the kit, just make sure you oil it at the end, i was told that the kit has the oil, but never used one b4.
GL

McChook
18-02-2004, 01:46 PM
K&N cleaning kit is $28 RRP

Sypherg
18-02-2004, 02:47 PM
yes, use the k&N recharger cleaning kit.....make sure you oil the filter with the K&N filter oil otherwise the filter will no stop the dirt witout the oil.

there shd be cleaning instructions given when u purchase it.

Boost
19-02-2004, 11:37 AM
s2k: i found the k&n to work alot better than the simota. I have both the simota pod and k&n pod, and i found the k&n to flow alot better than the simota. But yeh you are right, accordin to hot4s they came somewhee 3rd or so. So hmmm.. i dont know..
4PERVZ: make sure when you clean the K&N you dont get any crap on the inside of the filter. Just soak it in some cleaning solution and roll it around.. dont swish swoash it around cause you will surely get some on the inside and when that happens you might get crap sucked in to the engine you use it next time. Oh and remmeber to oil it too, cause the oil helps the filtration process. :)

Bumble B
19-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Use an old tooth brush and some soapy water

Boost
19-02-2004, 02:01 PM
or you could chuck it in the dishwasher or washing machine on gentle! only kidding! :)

vti-2
19-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Use the K&N cleaning kit. Those cleaning kits are specifically designed for the K&N so it's simple, buy one of those kits to clean your filter. I wouldn't use regular household detergent as it has a lot of harsh chemicals and will eventually eat away the air filter. Not only that, but it will harden the material so it is more prone to cracking and developing holes where debris can get into the air intake.