PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problems

stoff
16-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi guys,

My car is a 99 vtir Prelude..96Km's on it atm..

and when shifting from 1st-2nd its kinda hard/notchy..and i can feel the gears as it goes into 2nd..

i only get this problem sometimes though..and it seems to be mostly when i shift at low rpms (2-3K)..

when i drive it harder and shift at 5K+ it seems to go in fine..and i dont feel anything when entering 2nd..

could the problem be my clutch? it has a bit of play at the top of the pedal..like its lil bit loose :)

cheers
chris

SPEEDCORE
16-08-2005, 06:23 PM
First thing I always ask when knotchy shifting complaints arise..... How long since last g'box fluid change?

I'd start there if its been a while. Simple yet you'd be surprised how many people over look the nessecity to change tranny fluid.

anna1984
16-08-2005, 10:01 PM
hmm i had a similiar prob b4, duno if its exactly what u talkin about though. do u feel a difference when u accelerate?? like it aint smooth?

sivic
17-08-2005, 01:11 AM
change the tranny fluid and see how you go. you'd be suprised how much better fresh fluid is.

pgclee
17-08-2005, 01:35 AM
What kinda gearbox fluid you use? and did u warm up the car enough? and how long you last changed the fluid?

stoff
17-08-2005, 02:20 AM
actually i had the fluid changed around 5K ago :(

however, it was changed by my Honda dealer to something other than MTF...they tried a thinner grade oil after i told them what i was experiencing..

my next servicing is due soon, and i'll be getting them to put in MTF and i'll see how that goes :)

sivic
17-08-2005, 05:15 AM
thinner?? why the hell would they do that. a thicker fluid is going to provide smoother operation. just go back to honda MTF

wynode
17-08-2005, 10:11 AM
thinner?? why the hell would they do that. a thicker fluid is going to provide smoother operation. just go back to honda MTF
Really...why is that?

Have a look through this:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22583