PDA

View Full Version : Battery Relocation

Bludger
17-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have any experience with a battery relocation to the boot on an Integra? What is needed, how to do it, etc.
Any info that could help, thanx

ekslut
17-08-2005, 10:51 AM
I have done it on my ED civic. Wasn't that hard.

I used this link: http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/battery_relocation/index.html

SKREMN
17-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I'll be doing it this weekend
pretty easy
just hook everything up to your starter motor and then run cable from starter terminal to boot and connect batt then earth batt to car in boot

mooshie
18-08-2005, 08:43 PM
whats the legality issues in doing this? like does the battery have to be in a box with a vent to the outside of the car? grommets through any panels? routing of the cable? etc. or is it pretty simple? cheers.

MrHeeltoe
20-08-2005, 12:49 AM
whats the legality issues in doing this? like does the battery have to be in a box with a vent to the outside of the car? grommets through any panels? routing of the cable? etc. or is it pretty simple? cheers.

Not if you run a sealed battery like this:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/marketplace/nrgcell/nrg-wrx.jpg

Plus you can mount them wherever you want. Although for safety sake, you want to put it in a box just so it does not accidently get shorted out.

[ slayer ]
20-08-2005, 04:41 PM
im confused. everything i keep finding including the link above seem to not connect a cable from alternator to battery... so wouldnt the battery go flat? or have i just misread it and they did connect it correctly?

SKREMN
20-08-2005, 09:15 PM
I dont like the way they did the relocation very messy and confusing
anyways the alternater wires are allready taped into the wires that run in the standard loom
i'm currently 1/2 way throght doing mine i have removed my standard loom and upgraded it all and it will all look standard and not suss just no batt
I may proviode a pic when i'm done
possibly tonight

vincent
20-08-2005, 10:37 PM
I think you have to have it mod plated if you have moved the battery for road.

Bludger
21-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Vincent, can you plz rephrase your comment, cos i find it hard to understand.
Thanks very much.

panda[cRx]
21-08-2005, 09:07 PM

Not if you run a sealed battery like this:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/marketplace/nrgcell/nrg-wrx.jpg

Plus you can mount them wherever you want. Although for safety sake, you want to put it in a box just so it does not accidently get shorted out.

keep in mind Californian laws are not the same as australian. check with your local RTA on the legality of it.

afaik it's illegal coz it's a fire hazard and if you are in an accident the rescue ppl don't know where the battery is? (+ the shock factor if u get something conductive on the terminals) :confused:

but don't quote me on that, ask your RTA!!

vincent
22-08-2005, 07:45 AM
I think you have to have it mod plated if you have moved the battery for road.

Clarification, I am not sure if this applies to any your state but in QLD, you have to have an engineer certify the process and ensure it meet the safety requirement and the engineer affixes a modification plate to the chasis of the vehicle to proof that the relocation meet the safety standard. This rule applies to QLD road registered cars.

mooshie
23-08-2005, 07:46 PM
hey skremn, where did you route the cable through the firewall?

Bludger
23-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Which side of the car did you run the Positive cable, SKREMN?
Are there any issues with interference with the other cables signals, etc. ?
Did you run a Negative cable too?
I think i will have to run a negative cable because i have a 9 point custom earth setup and it would be useless if i don't run a negative cable.

2NTICN
23-08-2005, 11:06 PM
may i ask why you are wanting to put it in your boot to start with?
just out of curiousity????

SKREMN
23-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I used 0 guage cable but this isnt needed
behind the booster is the main wireing loom i ran it along side that because of the huge size of the cable but any free hole should do
then down under the door seals and carpet then into the boot
you want need to run a seperate earth use the car's earth
Make the shortest possible lead from the batt to the chassy with a very good, clean mounting point
if you got a hot earth you could put it to the car chassy but not shure if it defeats its purpose then?
havnt had any problems with interferance a few tips to avaid interferance is run sterio RCA's on oposite side of the car and when possible make the main power cross over not parralell to wiering this will reduce any chance of interferance

I'm putting my batt in the boot coz its a big yellow top optima battery (dry cell) too big under the bonnet and plus i wanna make a custom air box in its place

TEG61E
23-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Sounds like a good idea skremn! Let us know how it goes with the airbox and battery setup - pics and all if u can. I was actually gonna do one on my ls soon too...

SKREMN
24-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Here you can see it opens up the space where the battery was greatly
Now allowing room to make a new air box
You can see the red ring is the starter motor terminal this is where the wireing gets it positive source from now
It doesnt really stand out as I coverd it in loom to look standard

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/Batt1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/Batt2.jpg

On the battery one positive runs to the starter motor and other runs to my amps for the sterio
Earths just to the body

egSi
24-08-2005, 12:01 PM
cool relocation man, u should of done a diy write up on it :thumbsup:

panda[cRx]
24-08-2005, 02:47 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/Batt2.jpg

did you made a box to cover it? :confused:

panda[cRx]
24-08-2005, 02:59 PM
just spoke to vicroads and it's legal as long as it's secured and preferablly covered :) (and not in a stupid position like under the drivers seat :p)

AsH_
25-10-2007, 12:03 AM
so, if relocating the battery to the boot for instance, if it is in an enclosure that prevents gases spreading into the cabin. does that make that modification road legal?

i'm thinking about cleaning my bay up.. just small things like battery and fusebox...

i've seen picture of the battery relocated to inside the front or rear bumper...

Drew
25-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Inside bumpers would be illegal...

However secured at the rear ie boot in a proper battery box; thats fine

AsH_
25-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Inside bumpers would be illegal...

However secured at the rear ie boot in a proper battery box; thats fine

would they fuss over engineers cert???

Drew
25-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't think so...

Secure meaning bolted not tied down with string; as the battery shouldn't be able to move should the car roll over

AsH_
25-10-2007, 12:32 AM
i've seen ultra-slim batteries in black boxes bolted to the side of the boot... looks awesome...

Drew
25-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Function over form

string
25-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Get one of those tiny batteries and mount it right up the front where the horn is.

nd55
26-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Get a lightweight sealed battery in the stock location.

JDMYard has got' em.

The hassle and weight in added conductors isn't worth it.

Nick.