PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for - i'm buying a VTi-R

fried
09-09-2003, 09:31 PM
what things should i be looking out for when buying a vtir?

vtec sound? vtec working? clutch? gearbox? noise? aircon? etc...
like please explain what i need to be looking for and stuff.... thanks

Jnr Teggy
09-09-2003, 09:42 PM
a full inspection by a licenced mechanic would be a start...

otherwise...

look at the brakes, the rotors should be even in appearance and silver in colour...they should have a smooth pedal feel under light and heavy braking.

feel the synchro's between 2nd and 3rd gears..this is the most comon driveline fault..

also check that if it is older than 100k km's that a major service (including cam belt) has been done..

check for CV noise when turning corners..

make sure the clutch is smooth and grips well..

and feathered edges on the tyres indicates hard driving...

anything else is common sense

wynode
09-09-2003, 09:46 PM
^ABOVE^

See if its been in an accident (check for overspray on rubber trim and misaligned panels).

For CV Joints, turn full lock (both Left and Right) and drive the car. listen for any knocking or squeaking noise.

Check for gearbox problems and synchro wear. Go up the gears, and more importantly come down the gears at high RPM (hard to explain) but the basic idea is to make the synchros work hard so as to pick up any 'catching' or problems.

Check for Oil leaks around the block (and where the car is parked!). Find out as much as you can about the owner (even watch him/her drive) as this is usually a good indicator.

thats it for now :)

vti-2
09-09-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't have much advice apart from making sure it hasn't been in a major prang.

Mine has had NOT ONE single problem since i bought it over a year ago. The timing belt had been done at 60,000kms where it is usually done at 100,000kms (standard for Honda's).

The gearbox and clutch is perfect, the engine is A1, not a single leak anywhere in the car. The electrics are perfect, the sunroof is perfect, no problems with the electric mirrors, no dramas with anything! The shocks are still original and even with my lowered springs they are still performing up to scratch.

I've been ecstatic with mine and can say that as long as you get a Teg that's been looked after you will end up with a very reliable/strong car.

:)

And mine is for sale... :P

dc2r
10-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Give these guys a call. They are reliable and inspected my car before I bought it. They do a full check of your car and it takes about 1-2 hours? Fraction of the cost of NRMA. They are called Sydney Vehicle Check. They are a mobile service and have a 24 hr booking service. Ph: 91530888.
Or you can always take it to Hanny's in Smithfield and Robert and the crew will help you out.

Setanta
10-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Or you can always take it to Hanny's in Smithfield and Robert and the crew will help you out.

^^^^^^^

Somtimes Robbie or one of his guys will know of a Honda coming up for sale - usually something that has been serviced at their shop. If he's serviced it, there's a chance he'll know its history well.

A friend used Sydney Vehicle Check after getting dudded by the NRMA, she said they were fantastic :)

fried
10-09-2003, 06:53 PM
yeah went to hannys today, and pete said that i can jsut give them a call and bring a car in, they'll ahve a look.

thanks!

Jnr Teggy
10-09-2003, 07:11 PM
can't knock a mechaics opinion!...especially roberts!

XXpl0Sive
13-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Do/can the mechanics check if the odometre readings are legit?