PDA

View Full Version : B18C Pistons

Dvius_Honda
18-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey all...

ok before everyone says go do a search etc... i have been doing that for the last couple of hours. And i only found topics that lightly touched the issue...

anyways... i have a b18C1 with a B16A head - the compression ratio, needs to be raised to get the full benifit of the b18c over a b16a. So i got myself some brand new Jap spec Integra Type R pistons with pins and rings and a 2 layer head gasket. - this should be enough to do the trick.

But could anyone who has done this before tell me exactly what needs to be done and other parts that need = like piston bearings... I know that this is quite a big job...

Anyways Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

McChook
18-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Fair topic start thi one.

Firstly - what was the compression with the B16a Head
What is the compression ratio of the B18C5 pistons in Japanese trim
How thick is the gasket - and what brand

If you want to get serious, try some Aftermarket pistons... IE. JE's, Arias...

ah789454
18-02-2004, 02:35 PM
as olmo2r - he has done the same thing. saw his car in fast fours, damn it looks tight

ginganggooly
18-02-2004, 03:57 PM
i was told that the vti-r/gsr head was the best one for modification. something to do with it being a down draft design.

[talk from arse]
from what i've read... if you get the stock type-r pistons and rods with the b18c block, b16a head combo, you end up with stock type-r compression.
[/talk from arse]

madgrk
18-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Try this. This should be made a sticky because if you lose this link your gonna regret it.

http://www.bojangs.com/calculator/

OLM-02R
18-02-2004, 05:18 PM
[talk from arse]
from what i've read... if you get the stock type-r pistons and rods with the b18c block, b16a head combo, you end up with stock type-r compression.
[/talk from arse][/quote]

yes thats correct :D:D:D 11:0:1 cr with itr piston on b18/b16 setup...might as well get thin head gasket to make it 11:2:1... :D:D

madgrk
18-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Is that directed to me? Dude I just found the link, I dont even know if all that stuff is correct. But i'd rather forward it on, so maybe somebody could use it (if its correct), than keep it for myself considering I dont know all that much about the B series :?

I figured if the link was good and people enjoyed the link, maybe it could be in a sticky or something for people wanting to find out their CR, thats all..

OLM-02R
18-02-2004, 06:58 PM
direct to noone man...i use bojangs toooooooo.......thats a goooooooooooooooood site to check ur cr.... :D:D:D

Dvius_Honda
18-02-2004, 08:46 PM
hey firstly to answer mchooks reply...

my current compression ratio is 9.8:1 - which is extremely low for a honda.... as i have the B16a head on b16c block

my original plan was to source b16B civic type R pistons - which are 11.75:1. but couldnt find any. so i got a set of brand new jap spec integra type R pistons for a good price. THese will raise my car compression to 11.1:1.

I didnt want to go aftermarket pistons, because i want to keep the car completely drivable... and im limited to only 98 octane.

THe 2 layer head gasket should even raise the compression ratio more...

anyways i chasing up whats involved with installing the pistons???

Thanks alot

tanghy
18-02-2004, 08:48 PM
did u buy oversized pistons?

becausde that's what you should have done

u need to bored out to the new piston diameter
then isntall them

weezer
18-02-2004, 11:51 PM
the ITR uses the same head as a B16A so the CR should be the same as an ITR.

Dvius_Honda
20-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Nah they are not oversize pistons... its a straight fit.

OLM-02R seeing as you have already done this conversion. what power increase did you get by raising the compression?

im hoping it will remove my flat spot between 5 - 6000 rpm

thanks.

anyone know a direct link to where i can find some helpful information on the installation process???

LatinoHatchCrap
21-02-2004, 10:33 AM
But could anyone who has done this before tell me exactly what needs to be done and other parts that need = like piston bearings... I know that this is quite a big job...

Anyways Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks You should get all the necessary seals and o-rings+ cambelt changed if it hasnt already been done.
I agree with thangy as well. ITR .25mm o/s pistons would've pushed your c/r past 11.5 which is perfect territory for lumpier cams. Dont look past balancing your rods and testing your rod bolts for any existing stress fractures.
Tuning is gona be the key to any higher than stock c/r setup anyways so have enough left in your wallet to get tuned with whoever you trust.
gl and let us know how you go :)

hondar
23-02-2004, 05:11 PM
boojang website is good.

An O/s pistons is better if you want to be on the safe side if you dont know how old is your engine.

Get someone trustworthy to bore the cylinder and make sure they are bored properly and not some shody job.

make sure you get the right rings as well.

also make sure that you calculate both the static and dynamic compression of the engine.

what bojang did is to help you calculate the static compression. You need to calculate the dynamic compression as well.

The link is as follows to calculate dynamic compression

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/comprAdvHD.htm

hope that helps. :)

Dvius_Honda
28-02-2004, 06:13 PM
hey

ok i have done all them tests etc... and roughly know that my compression ratio will go from 9.8:1 to 11.2:1....

so i got that all straight., i have started putting the pistons etc in today...
so now what i wanna know is: what differences in terms of power will i expect from doing this modification??? i know it will remove my flat spot between 5 - 6 rpm and should make my fuel economy better (depending on how i drive it) but does any one know the power results or anthing else from experience????

thanks alot for all your replies

McChook
28-02-2004, 06:16 PM
hey firstly to answer mchooks reply...

my current compression ratio is 9.8:1 - which is extremely low for a honda.... as i have the B16a head on b16c block

my original plan was to source b16B civic type R pistons - which are 11.75:1. but couldnt find any. so i got a set of brand new jap spec integra type R pistons for a good price. THese will raise my car compression to 11.1:1.

I didnt want to go aftermarket pistons, because i want to keep the car completely drivable... and im limited to only 98 octane.

THe 2 layer head gasket should even raise the compression ratio more...

anyways i chasing up whats involved with installing the pistons???

Thanks alot

Just want to say one important thing - if you have a larger budget, do the aftermarket thing - Buy some JEs or some Arias. It doesn;t make the car any less drivable?? what makes you say that anyways????

hondar
28-02-2004, 11:44 PM
hey

ok i have done all them tests etc... and roughly know that my compression ratio will go from 9.8:1 to 11.2:1....

so i got that all straight., i have started putting the pistons etc in today...
so now what i wanna know is: what differences in terms of power will i expect from doing this modification??? i know it will remove my flat spot between 5 - 6 rpm and should make my fuel economy better (depending on how i drive it) but does any one know the power results or anthing else from experience????

thanks alot for all your replies

you actually get the cams that you want first before choosing the pistons. not the other way round. :)

if you have a itr or ctr cams, then you choose a pistons set that will give you the right compression. not choosing the compression and get the cams as your cams choice will be determinded by your goal.

how much power you will gain? it should be around a standard type r engine if what you are puttings is type r parts.

obviously there could be less if as an engine work harmoniously with other parts of the car and not stand alone.

what i mean, you need to look into the intake system and exhaust system as well.

if the engine is not having enough oxygen to do combustion, your car wont be fast. if your car dont expel the fume at the right volume and velocity, your car wont be taking in enough air (oxygen) either.

You see whats go in must come out before it can be filled again. you cant fill something if it is not vacuum.

every car is different and to ask people around what to expect in my opinion is not accurate. at best it is estimate which can go way off.

hope this answer a bit of your question