PDA

View Full Version : Piston Replacement

altin
17-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Guys,
I've got a p73 pistons with rings and want to do a straight replacement for a b18c7 engine. The honda service guy actually said that they dont do engine work and gave me the number of the place that they send their cars to. After speaking with the guy he said that he can't give me a quote because its tricky to do and they are one of the few that has the machine to do the replacement because he said something along the lines of "you have to stretch the bolt, not just screw it in". Now... my question is ... is it really that hard? because from this forum I've read a few people that's installed pistons... Or is the stretching the bolts the right way of doing the install but not necessary? If its not extremely hard to do I'll probably do it myself if i can.

Felix
17-08-2005, 06:55 PM
If you have to ask such questions. Then please dont install them yourself, for your own sake.

locote
17-08-2005, 07:44 PM
yeah what he said

spardikis
17-08-2005, 09:51 PM
BWWaahahhahahahaha u guys R funi

VTi_b0i
17-08-2005, 10:24 PM
help the guy out guys lolz he asked the question cause he wants help and/or to learn sumthing...

Felix
17-08-2005, 10:51 PM
help the guy out guys lolz he asked the question cause he wants help and/or to learn sumthing...

i dont know the answers, but i know if you need to ask such questions then your better off spending the money on someone to do the work.

wynode
18-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Last time I checked I didn't find any 'engine building' style thread on Ozhonda!

VTi_b0i
18-08-2005, 09:12 AM
i dont know the answers, but i know if you need to ask such questions then your better off spending the money on someone to do the work.

yes thats tru, altho if sum1 did know the answers, please say, because if no one tells him the answers, hes never gona learn...

altin
18-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi Guys...

Thanks for the concern but I'm probably not going to do it myself but I just want to know because eventually I would like to do it myself. How does someone know how to do a piston replacement if they don't try it themselves? Even the mechanics at one stage had to do a piston replacement for the first time. My other question in my original post was if the mechanic wasn't spinning some crap about it being soo hard where you have to "stretch" the bolt "not just screwing it" when replacing the pistons. If that was the right practice. And another thing which make me think twice was that he said that you have to use the OEM pistons "nothing else" because this is a special type or engine etc... Of course you can use other pistons you just have to hone the block etc...

euro1978
18-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi Guys...

How does someone know how to do a piston replacement if they don't try it themselves? Even the mechanics at one stage had to do a piston replacement for the first time.

People go to education institutions to LEARN. You don't learn everything through practical experience. It is wise to learn things in theory first. Imagine if doctors applied your logic

I am all for engine building threads but this is rediculous.

You are a fool if you pull your engine apart without knowing what you are doing and it will only cost you more when you take it to someone in pieces and ask them to fix it.

altin
18-08-2005, 12:28 PM
People go to education institutions to LEARN. You don't learn everything through practical experience. It is wise to learn things in theory first. Imagine if doctors applied your logic

I am all for engine building threads but this is rediculous.

You are a fool if you pull your engine apart without knowing what you are doing and it will only cost you more when you take it to someone in pieces and ask them to fix it.

I totally agree with you. Perhaps l need to be clearer... Of course you would have to know the theory first. My point is that if you go to education instutions to learn etc and you know the theory then the next step is to do it "practically" That is why I want to know everything about the pistons replacements and I'm currently in the learning phase of things because I wouldnt want to destroy a good b18c7 engine. But my aims in the future would be able to do all maintenance & replacements myself.

wynode
18-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I think what people are trying to say is that don't expect to learn how to build an engine via an online forum :)

Sure if you get stuck ask a question......but don't expect a full writeup on how to build an engine.

Maybe checkout/buy that omniman dvd

Flanderz
18-08-2005, 04:36 PM
PM Jimmeh for that DVD, got one commin soon, 10 bucks shipped to ur door, ya cant go wrong :D

euro1978
18-08-2005, 04:52 PM
I totally agree with you. Perhaps l need to be clearer... Of course you would have to know the theory first. My point is that if you go to education instutions to learn etc and you know the theory then the next step is to do it "practically" That is why I want to know everything about the pistons replacements and I'm currently in the learning phase of things because I wouldnt want to destroy a good b18c7 engine. But my aims in the future would be able to do all maintenance & replacements myself.

I hear what you are saying and I think it's great for you to do all the maintenence but there are times when you should allow experts to help you and cracking open the engine is something that I would leave for someone that does that sort of thing day in and day out. Unless you are considering a vocation in mechanics you are not going to accumulate the required experience to be able to tinker around without a significant risk of breaking something or even worse not putting everything back in properly and ending up with a rooted engine. If I was you I would buy a $400 piece of shit and try to change the pistons on that first.

Good luck with it though.

Felix
18-08-2005, 06:26 PM

But you dont start your practical learning with an Integra Type R. Maybe an old Datto or something.

altin
19-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just rung a round and asked for a quote for a piston replacement and they came back to me saying over 1 grand.... is this normal?? i would have thought it would be in the hundreds rather than in the thousands.

wynode
19-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just rung a round and asked for a quote for a piston replacement and they came back to me saying over 1 grand.... is this normal?? i would have thought it would be in the hundreds rather than in the thousands.
Its pretty much the same price as a rebuild.

joyride
19-08-2005, 03:46 PM
its all labour (and maybe some parts like seals and gaskets)