PDA

View Full Version : what do i need?

siba
17-08-2005, 10:39 PM
hey guys,
i have a vti coupe n im just really starting to get mods ect, im looking at doing things to the engine because i wanna turbo it in the next 4-8months so wat i wanna know is what internals of the d16y8 do i need to strengthen so that running say 7-12psi will be reliable?

cheers buds

joonix
18-08-2005, 12:22 AM
s so wat i wanna know is what internals of the d16y8 do i need to strengthen so that running say 7-12psi will be reliable?

Provided that it is correctly tuned, intake temperature is kept low (read : good piping design, intercooler) and fuel system is suitible ugraded (bigger injectors, possibly fuel pump and lines), the stock internals will handle 7-12 PSI with no problem.

Tuning and fuel supply are top priority.

You may want to upgrade your brakes and suspension. Your engineer may mandate this.

Search this forum and www.turbod16.com to see some members setups.

alta'd n13
18-08-2005, 05:01 PM
i wouldnt say that a brake upgrade or suspension is optional.
i think if you are very serious about doing a turbo conversion i would put brakes and suspension under my priority list.

things u should do imo include -
- brake upgrade
- suspension upgrade
- tyre upgrade
- larger injectors
- better flowing fuel pump
- adjustable fuel regulator
- a good idea also is to get some aftermarket thermo fans like davies craig

also to make the conversion as cheap as possible once you get to that stage try and get the aftermarket management into the car before you go turbo. basically the management will be a big expense when doing the work so if its already taken care of its much easier to manage a little extra funds on the side for those teething problems everyone seems to have.

siba
18-08-2005, 07:27 PM
yer kool thanx man, i have king springs lowerd 1.5" is that good enough for suspension or do i need better shocks?? would the apexi ecu with the hand thingy be good or is there an ecu that would better suit my honda??
when it comes to brakes what would be the best set up if the car is say around the 190kwatw mark??

saxman
19-08-2005, 03:57 AM
fuel pressure regulator is a waste of money. If you're running bigger injectors and a ecu like you should with a turbo, there's no reason to up the stock fuel pressure

running lowering springs with stock shocks is never a good idea, turbo or not.

alta'd n13
19-08-2005, 08:53 PM
the ultimate when it comes to boosting your car obviously is the option to go to coilovers. a full set of D2 coilovers will set you back around $2000 from anywhere that stocks them. i actually bought them through a group buy where i got about 5 mates together and went through just jap imports at kirrawee and they managed to discount each set to only $1500 brand new coz we saved on postage.

when it comes to brakes im sure there is some bolt on aftermarket option available to you for a reasonable price or maybe something in the honda range which you can swap the hubs and brakes over for a bigger anchor set up.

ecu is the easy part cause now there is alot of cheaper options as well as the big time set ups it all really depends on how much money you wana dump into your ride. a simple greddy emanae setup will do the job for you with the ignition and injector harnesses to allow tunability of those as well. i know of a turbo n15 pulsar that is running a massive bolt on setup with the emanage and handling it very easily. also there are the more expensive options like the stinger EMS and apexi power fc etc.