PDA

View Full Version : Rattling sound coming from the engine!

Integra
18-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Last week my car sounded quiet, now whenever i start up the car it makes this loud rattling noise coming from the clutch.. somewhere under the engine and whenever i push the clutch in when im in nutral it starts to quieten down, when i release the clutch it makes that loud rattling sound again.. Has anyone ever came up with this problem before? please help my car sounds farked now :*(

Ironfist
18-08-2005, 06:01 PM
exhaust heat shield? that's a usual thing that gets loose for tegs

Mines abit loose... but meh... don't really care, been like that for a long time

SKREMN
18-08-2005, 06:06 PM
possibly release bearing for cluitch or maybe in box even
if when clutch in it stops spionning the box and will slow down and then stop then if noise goes away its box

unluvedboi
18-08-2005, 08:01 PM
ive got the same rattling problem.. but mine is an automatic..
it rattles only when you start the car when its cold or?

LS Integra
18-08-2005, 08:08 PM
mine used to do that.. it ended up costing me a whole new gearbox.. take it somewhere and get them to look at it.. try and get it early..

quangsta
18-08-2005, 08:44 PM
yes exact same prob dude....your input shaft bearing is broken at the very least...if its been awhile your input shaft may be gonners too...and to fix it'll cost quiet abit....with me i only had my input shaft bearing broken but i decided to change all the bearing it costed me just over 800 bux for just the bearing no labour...best advice i can say to you is if you're willing to put out a bit more money and are thinking about modding your car get yourself a type r gearbox with lsd...because input shaft and input shaft bearing will cost around 1k and thats a quote from a cheap work shops...

btw this is a common problem so for those looking at honda specifically integras and civics just start the engine depress the clutch and let go and listen for the sound difference...shouldnt b any at all...so if there is most likely the input shaft/bearing

gL

tegraa
18-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Last week my car sounded quiet, now whenever i start up the car it makes this loud rattling noise coming from the clutch.. somewhere under the engine and whenever i push the clutch in when im in nutral it starts to quieten down, when i release the clutch it makes that loud rattling sound again.. Has anyone ever came up with this problem before? please help my car sounds farked now :*(

I bet you a hundred bux $$$$ its not a big issue.:D

It sounds like you have rocks stuck under and between the exhaust and heatsheld. This happens heaps to integras because the heat sheld is very close to the exhaust pipe . You can check this by getting a rubber mallet and and start hitting thins till you hear where the sound is coming from.

It also could be your Kat too.

If it was your gearbox you would feel it when you drive the car.

vincent
18-08-2005, 09:15 PM
While you are under have a look at the Axle Heatshield?

VTECACCORD
18-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I'd doubt that you need a new tranny right now.

If your transmission isnt shifting any differently, then you can safely say its ok.

If the gears are slipping its probably the clutch on its way out.

If your not havin problems with the clutch, its probably the heat shield, like the others have said. If your car is older then this would be common, get under there and see if you can figure out whats goin on

Integra
18-08-2005, 09:27 PM
its deffinetly not the clutch ive recently just fitted a new heavy duty clutch..

Integra
18-08-2005, 09:28 PM
I'd just go and let a mechanic to look at it first, i dont think i could fit under my car since its to low unless i use jack stands

quangsta
18-08-2005, 09:30 PM
could quiet possibly be just rocks in your heat sheild...but i can say that you cant really feel that much of a difference when shifting nor is your clutch any different, if its ur gearbox...hope its just rocks in ur heatshield...

ACTI0NMAN-1
19-08-2005, 12:11 AM
we cant diagnose sounds or smells over the internet.

medo
20-08-2005, 01:09 PM
how much to get a typeR transmission? ..installed?
where can u get them from (only honda) ..can u still get em new?

kronjp
25-08-2005, 03:03 AM
I would have thought if it were rocks dancing on the heat shield, you would hear it constantly. However he's saying that the sound goes away when the clutch is depressed, which makes me think it's the throwout bearing. Best to get a mechanic to varify.

Flanderz
25-08-2005, 11:15 AM
which makes me think it's the throwout bearing. Best to get a mechanic to varify.

Thats what I'm thinking, Had the same prob in the audi and was an indication that my clutch was on the way out?? mabey it wasn't installed correctly when u had the new clutch put in? Had exactly the same type of noise and everytime the clutch was in it would dissapear, put it in neautral and take ur foot off the clutch and the noise would come back, kinda sounds like when u have a tappet problem (kinda, its hard to explain a noise). Did u let the new clutch bed in? I've been told not to downshift and no heavy driving on a newly installed clutch?