PDA

View Full Version : gearbox problems?

All_Motor
18-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi all. Can anyone tell me what's wrong here... I have a 95 vtiR integra and there is a noise coming from the gearbox, but when i put the clutch in the noise goes away. :?

davey
18-02-2004, 08:41 PM
hey i had the same problem and is currently is getting it fixed, one of your bearing shafts worn in the gearbox are wearing. This means you have to open up the gearbox and replace it and also replace other seals. It will cost 650+.

if your in the sydney area and need a mechanic pm me and ill give you the details to my mechanic.

joneblaze
18-02-2004, 08:41 PM
$650? Is that normal pricing?

davey
18-02-2004, 08:48 PM
i dunno i had to fixed the syncros aswell and he charged me $850 for all of it

civicboy
18-02-2004, 09:16 PM
whos ur mechanic?

booget
19-02-2004, 12:16 AM
sounds like clutch bearing mate

maling
19-02-2004, 12:21 AM
take it to Hannys in smithfield to check it out

saves you all the guessing and worries

no disrespect to anyone who posted beforehand

EG_2_TEG
19-02-2004, 02:44 AM
definately sounds like the clutch thrust bearing as booget mentioned

had the same problem with my car

booget
19-02-2004, 09:19 AM
i 90% sure its clutch bearing
i got that noise in me car 2
n me mates a mechanic

told me its clutch bearing
shouldnt be that expensive to replace

ATSE
19-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Throwout bearing...

When clutch is out... rattling sound. When clutch is in... rattiling sound stops? Correct? How old is ur clutch? Just change it when u change your clutch next time...

All_Motor
19-02-2004, 11:54 AM
that's exactly the problem ATSE. I'll get a mechanic to look at it... Hopefully it isn't the gearbox... thanks

incoming
20-02-2004, 12:11 AM
850??? geez mate u got ripped!!
he musta charged u s shit full of labour!!

my mate (licensed mech) charged me 180 cos his boss wasnt there LOL! just parts no labour!

Teggy-Vtir
20-02-2004, 02:38 PM
i jus got my reverse gear fixed, gear got jammed
cost me $550 to fix

ur mainly gonna b payin for labour

lka82
01-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Sucks to hear, i've just discovered i've got the same problem. :(

Can anyone recommend a decent, but not overpriced clutch? I think it would be best to replace the entire clutch.

RAYTDR
02-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Its not the clutch, its the gearbox bearing/s

majic777
03-03-2004, 11:40 AM
dude with those symptoms, its not the clutch release bearing... when that bearing fails, its quiet with the clutch out, and noisy with the clutch in.

your symptoms indicate a failing bearing in the gearbox, or no oil in the gbox.

hope that helps!

ATSE
03-03-2004, 01:23 PM
ummm NO...

IT IS A BEARING! Either a throwout bearing or input shaft bearing.

its not the clutch release bearing... when that bearing fails, its quiet with the clutch out, and noisy with the clutch in.

Opposite mate.. when clutch is out it rattles, when clutch is in... the rattling stops.

There are many posts on this topic in Honda-tech like this one:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=764659

If he had a failing bearing or no oil in the gearbox... he would have a hard time shifting... he would crunch like no tomorrow...

I've had this problem too... and itz the throwout bearing in my case... my gearbox is perfectly fine, shifts like butter.

majic777
03-03-2004, 04:17 PM
think about it, when your foot is off the clutch, the throwout bearing is not contacting the release fingers at all! (or shouldn't be) so if the throwout bearing is stuffed, it wont make any noise when your foot is off the clutch, because its just sitting there, doing nothing, not rotating... as soon as you rest your foot on the clutch, or press the clutch in, the bearing contacts the fingers and starts to spin, and if the bearing is screwed, it'l make noise!

tell me how can the release bearing make noise when your foot is off the clutch, when the release bearing isn't even touching the pressure plate fingers? hence not spinning at all?

not tryna start an argument but i'd just like to know how the release bearing could make noise when its not even spinning, or touching anything... :?

ATSE
03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
The input shaft bearing makes a rattling sound when the clutch is NOT depressed. What happens is when you engage the clutch the mainshaft stops spinning, and so the noise stops. When your foot is off the clutch the mainshaft spins, thats why the rattling sound occurs.

If you don't belive me, read this guys write up... he took his tranny off, and what was the problem, input shaft bearing... he changed it and no more noise. Same thing, clutch in no noise, clutch out.. rattling. He didn't touch his gearbox.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

majic777
03-03-2004, 06:39 PM
dude i totally agree it quite possibly could be the input shaft bearing in the gearbox, depress clutch, that bearing stops turning.. but we were talking about the throwout bearing before! that one makes noise only when clutch is depressed, if it is faulty! i was saying that with the symptoms the first guy gave with his car, it couldnt be the throwout bearing but most likely a bearing in the gearbox (eg: input shaft bearing)

its all good dude, peace ;)

RAYTDR
07-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Its not the clutch, its the gearbox bearing/s

As to my previous post it is the bearing in the box. Cus i spoke to All_Motor :P

Ohh yeah and majic777 is also right hehehehe :D

bizee_1
12-03-2004, 03:58 AM
g'day,

i wasn't sure whether to re-post this in the civic section or tech section even. But figured, my g'box & engine (ys1 & b16a) debuted in the 2nd gen jdm teg.

just wanting to get a clarification on the noise. I noticed with my Civic, that at idle, there is this noise, sounds 'like' something spinning, if not 'like' a fan.
Thought it was normal. Until : i depress the clutch 'pedal', and it is quieter. Engine is idling, minus this noise. as explained in this thread already.

The noise isn't loud, bad or rattly. Just sounds like something is spinning, more like as if a fan is on or something. But no fan is on.

Is this the same, or similar description of the noise ?

just wondering as now, my 3rd gear is clipping at medium revs, and basically crunching at higher revs. & same when downshifting. other gears are fine.

i've been told that old Honda gearboxes tend to crunch third especially at high revs due to wearing out synchros. (well the ones with not too careful previous owners)

Am wondering if this input shaft bearing may have affected the synchro in 3rd. And what are the detrimental effects of driving around with the bearing in this state.

BMTDC2
12-03-2004, 05:04 AM
I'd say release bearing, did a clutch not long ago on EK, the bearing was pretty rooted... That was the cause of all the squealing...

Input shaft bearings dont go bang that often...

http://home.iprimus.com.au/chnguyen/pics/release_b.jpg

tegstar83
14-04-2005, 12:08 AM
So if its the bearing when u push the clutch in it should make a ratteling noise if its stuffed?? Also If u replace a clutch shouldnt they replace that bearing at the same time?? And can ur car get stuffed from this as well?

ECU-MAN
14-04-2005, 12:30 AM
yes
yes and
maybe

tegstar83
14-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Umm well if they had replaced the thrust bearing then how long woul it last for??
cause I only got the clutch relpaced 6months ago, could they have use the old bearing?
And what could be the problems from this??

10KRPM
14-04-2005, 03:00 PM
On another point in regards to gear boxes.....if its hard to get into first gear and the shift action is not quite smooth...does that mean i need to replace my synchros? bearings?

I have a heavy duty exeddy clutch as well.

wynode
14-04-2005, 05:40 PM
It could be a bent/damaged shift fork.

wynode
14-04-2005, 05:48 PM
A lot of misinformation in this thread.

If you disengage the clutch and the noise goes away, it is a bearing within the gearbox. Usually the ISB (Input Shaft Bearing) aka Clutch housing bearing is the first to wear as it takes most of the stress and is the first to lose oil.

There is an article on taking out your gearbox and changing the ISB in the DIY forum by me. Look through that till it makes more sense.