PDA

View Full Version : battery problem :'(

dc4t
19-08-2005, 02:14 PM
hey can anyone help me.. i hav a serious problem with my battery.. i know its normal for a battery to die if the cars not being used for a while.. but my battery seems to die after about 12 hours of my car not being used. its not my alternator because it seems the more i drive the car the night before.. the longer the battery lasts wen the cars not being used. ive had my battery checked up and i was told it has about another years life on it. anyone know wats wrong? :(

DomenEK
19-08-2005, 02:31 PM
How old is it? Also, is it suited to the weather conditions where the car is reguarly driven? Have you checked the electolyte level - i.e. does it have enough fluid in the caps?

Tu88y
19-08-2005, 02:35 PM
You might need a bigger heavy duty battery. Are you running a sound system

dc4t
19-08-2005, 02:35 PM
i've only had the car for a year and the battery was already in there when i bought it so im not sure how old it is. i've checked the fluids and theyre fine.. as to the weather conditions.. i live in brisbane and the weather here never gets to an extreme hot or cold so yehh

dc4t
19-08-2005, 02:37 PM
yeh i am running a sound system (2 amps, 2 12" subs) and ive been running it since i bought the car without any battery problems

as to getting a bigger battery.. if u've seen integra engine bays u cant physically fit a bigger battery because of where the battery is located.

10KRPM
19-08-2005, 02:53 PM
you might have to just get a trickle charger to plug into when the car is not in use.

Or your leaking current somewhere hence the dead batt. Or you could just buy a new heavier duty batt and see if that solves your problem.

Tu88y
19-08-2005, 02:56 PM
use a heavy duty battery...

wynode
19-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

Get a current meter and see if there is much power drawn from the battery when everything is switched off (ie key out of ignition).

Otherwise call NRMA battery service and they can test this for you.

dc4t
19-08-2005, 03:12 PM
alrite i will but wat can i do about it if it is a leak? i dont wanna go out n buy a new battery if its not gonna help.

wynode
19-08-2005, 03:13 PM
alrite i will but wat can i do about it if it is a leak? i dont wanna go out n buy a new battery if its not gonna help.
When I said leak.....i meant leak as in something is drawing power from the battery when it shouldn't

Jomsy
19-08-2005, 03:49 PM
check that you glovebox light, boot light or stop lights arent staying on, this is usually what causes a 'leak', failing that auto electrician, if your in sydney id gladly take a quick look to tell you whats wrong and point you in the right direction

xtercii
19-08-2005, 03:54 PM
By changing battery will not fix your problem, and it’s definitely something draining your battery. I had exactly the same problem with my old 200sx, the batt dies if I don’t start the car for about 8 hours or so, and the problem can get pretty tricky because when I took my car to the auto electricians most of them couldn’t figure out what was wrong, they checked everything and everything seemed to be alrite. I called nrma as well, they couldn’t find out anything wrong aswell. Make sure you take your car to a GOOD auto electrician; they should be able to help you out. In case you are wondering my car got stolen b4 I get a chance to fix it….

dc4t
19-08-2005, 04:16 PM
ahh im in brisbane.. i really need to fix it tho its such a pain in the ass.. ive checked all the lights on the car.. nothing stays on apart from the power lights on my amps.. but i doubt 1 led light on each amp is enough to drain a car battery in 12 hours.

so xtercii.. u still hav no idea what was wrong with it?

[T][L]
19-08-2005, 04:23 PM
i think your amp is draining the batt....because the amp shouldnt be on when the key is out of the ignition...

CIVIX
19-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah i agree, your amp should completely switch off when the car is turned off...

wynode
19-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Get a current meter and see if there is much power drawn from the battery when everything is switched off (ie key out of ignition).

Otherwise call NRMA battery service and they can test this for you.

_Daniel
19-08-2005, 07:31 PM
check your remote signal on the amp.
if its slightly touching the 12v power cable its enuf to turn the amp on and drain your batt.
This happened to me when I was installed my old sound system, I'd notice my amps switching on with the car still off

fly_vti
19-08-2005, 07:38 PM
By changing battery will not fix your problem, and it’s definitely something draining your battery. I had exactly the same problem with my old 200sx, the batt dies if I don’t start the car for about 8 hours or so, and the problem can get pretty tricky because when I took my car to the auto electricians most of them couldn’t figure out what was wrong, they checked everything and everything seemed to be alrite. I called nrma as well, they couldn’t find out anything wrong aswell. Make sure you take your car to a GOOD auto electrician; they should be able to help you out. In case you are wondering my car got stolen b4 I get a chance to fix it….

i hope you were insured dude

SKREMN
19-08-2005, 07:41 PM
That happend to me with my amp
if the led is on that mean that the amp is on and it is powering more then just one LED
it happend to me
i had crossed wires in my auto antenna and that was feeding power to my amps and leaving them on
it woulnt happen overnight but whenever more then 24 hrs car wouldnt start!

xtercii
20-08-2005, 11:29 AM
ahh im in brisbane.. i really need to fix it tho its such a pain in the ass.. ive checked all the lights on the car.. nothing stays on apart from the power lights on my amps.. but i doubt 1 led light on each amp is enough to drain a car battery in 12 hours.

so xtercii.. u still hav no idea what was wrong with it?

I took my car to a reputable auto electrician, initially they couldn’t find out what was the problem, then after more testing they detected some electrical part in the engine bay is still running after the ignition is shut (I forgot exactly what it was), I was told to drop my car in for a thorough inspection, but as you know someone nicked my car b4 i dropped it in, so it was never fixed. All I can say is take it to a good auto electrician and start from there.

To fly_vti, yes my car was insured, I would be crying if it's not. Now driving a ek hatch, hope to do something big to it.