PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Air Pod Filter

sze5
21-08-2005, 03:50 AM
Has anyone tried cleaning Pod Filter using water? What's the alternative of cleaning air filters without needing to buy those K&N spray?

Thanks.

spardikis
21-08-2005, 08:20 AM
wouldnt advise it but maybe try using some dishwashing liquid... Warm soapy water, scrub scub haha

r`Geno
21-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Mate, just go to a service station and use the air pump.

Easy cleaning, no water/soap involved.

SPEEDCORE
21-08-2005, 09:40 AM
DO NOT under any circumstances use compressed air or water with high pressure to clean K&N filters. This WILL wreck the cotton weave of these types of filters.

Don't be a tight ass and get yourself a cleaning kit which includes the oil.

You are not just talking about wrecking the filter.... you are also giving the chance for the filter to not do its job and let crap enter into your engine.

If you have used up all the detergent and still have oil left...... you MAY try a dishwashing liquid quite diluted in a spray bottle. Again... I don't recommend it due to there possibly being some "caustic" nature to it. Do this at your own discretion. Neither I or Ozhonda take responsibility if your filter is rooted.

Best method to clean your filter...... use the detergent in a spray bottle and spray the "outside" of the filter well. Let sit for a good 5 to 10 mins. Then with a tap or hose with water vitually dribbling out wash out the filter from the inside out. This is important so as to dislodge crap and get it out. If you where to rinse from the outside in your are just forcing crap into the cotton weave. Again.... no high water pressure.

Let it dry by itself...... no hot air, pressurised air etc. Then oil .. with the emphasis on light coating..... don't soak the crap out of the cotton weave with oil.

armak81
21-08-2005, 06:29 PM
degreaser is an alternative..then again you will might as well buy the cleaning kit cause it comes with the k&n spray oil

paulosportz
21-08-2005, 10:55 PM
i cleaned my on the weekend
makes the filter look new again, giving that redish color and of course cleaning the thing out

good investment iwould say! give ur car some clean air =]

muli
22-08-2005, 10:10 AM
i got a bmc filter cleaning and oiling kit for $16 so not really expensive

HRV-80Y
22-08-2005, 02:46 PM
put in washing machine ? hehe i duno if that will work...

Integra
22-08-2005, 03:25 PM
When i last cleaned my pod i used warm soapy water! works fine (Y)

VT3C
22-08-2005, 06:32 PM
far out.. just buy the K&N kit for ~$20.. it will last you about 10 filter cleans !!!

not only does the kit come with a cleaning agent / de-greaser, but it comes with a tack-oil which traps the fine dirt that could penetrate the filter otherwise.

the tack-oil is dyed red so that you can see how evenly you re-apply the oil to the clean (grey) filter.

paulosportz
22-08-2005, 08:31 PM
yeah $20 is cheap ass...
prolly one of the most healthiest/safest/mods you can do for ur car

sze5
22-08-2005, 11:40 PM
thanks for the advise peeps.......bought the K&N filter kit at autobarns, cost $25....i thought they'll cost alot :P. The kit did a great job, highly recommended.

dundas
23-08-2005, 01:17 PM
get the oil filter cleaner from k N n... it is not like you require to clean and wash etc your pod every week.. its more like ever 5 months (providing its not outiside the engine bay or yourliving on a farm). the filter kit will last over a year. if it is slightly dirty just take it off and give it a few taps....
may take a few hours to dry the pod but better than driving around with no air for your engine...

crxzzR
24-08-2005, 09:50 PM
i got a k&n panel..linked to a homemade intake..
man do i have some crap in there!
well last time i cleaned it out with the kit i need to pretty much use tweezers to get to all those bugs i've sucked in lol!