PDA

View Full Version : GSi ECU

bennyBear
22-08-2005, 02:26 AM
Hey,

Im sure there are a lot of other frustrated GSi owners out there curious of how to squeeze a bit more power out of the infamous b18b, SO....

My question is: Are there any reliable plug and play/ piggy-back ecu's that would be suitable to stick on a GSi?!?

Just something that may give a bit more power, or broader power at least!

As far as mod's go i've only done the basics (i/h/e) and a few other bits so possibly something that would capitalise on this!

B4 the noob's come in with the Non-Vtec shit, yes, i'm well aware that GSi's arent that great, but it's what i've got and im dealing with it.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Ta,
Benj.

wynode
22-08-2005, 11:37 AM
have you looked at the bang for your buck thread (sticky) in the integra forum? That would be your best bet

bennyBear
22-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah i had a look in the sticky, and have completed most of the mods adrian has listed but i couldn't find anything specifically listing name brands etc and a rough price!

Anyways, i'll get off my ass and do some shopping around!

Ta.
Benj

bennyBear
22-08-2005, 05:46 PM
No suggestions ppl!?!

There has to be someone on here with a GSi thats been worked!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe>!>!>>!>>!>

VT3C
22-08-2005, 06:26 PM
many options.. for about $1000 you might be able to get an Apexi AFC and tuning to get some interesting gains.. add in adjustable cam gears and a competent tuner and you can 'shape' your powerband to deliver power where you need it.

another option, for approx $2500 you could source a B16A head and convert to 'LS-VTEC' with use of a P28 (may need OBD2-to-OBD1 convertor) ECU and a VAFC you could have a very nice package.. B18B low-down torque with B16A top-end.

not wanting to sound patronising but you sound 'new' to the 'industry' and I fear you may get taken for a bit of a ride with some workshops, so try to find someone on here that knows their shit to come down to the workshops with you to talk dirty.

the prices I've mentioned are approximate and may include some DIY labour and sourcing of parts. if you outsource these things it wil hurt your wallet.

if you want more info on converting your GSi to VTEC search Yank forums for 'LS-VTEC' as it was a very common conversion in the late 90's.

sivic
22-08-2005, 10:05 PM
you could also look towards some crower cams. they make some for the B18B that see some good gains. that along with some new valve springs and retainers. also get your rev limit raised but that then requires ecu upgrade which you would want anyway to get the most out of your cams.

bennyBear
22-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Is sounding good so far guys, got me fingering my credit cards, lol, keep it coming!!!

BLKCRX
23-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Saddly being a 1996 obd2a GSI Integra your in a situation that’s not cheap to do anything.

Firstly iv tuned many b18b engines both lightly modified and even turbo and nitrous applications. The most common b18b conversion thow is turbo.

Honestly tuning your b18b engine with light mods and a ECU does gain small gains around 6 -10% more performance if your lucky but its not something I would recommend unless your thinking about doing more modifications

If your thinking about going Cams or high compression or turbo or nitrious or vtec in the future then most certinaly get a ECU now… tune your car and have it run nicely. If your never going to do more modifications then honestly you will be looking at around 1200+ for a plug and play ECU into your car plus a tuning bill of maybe 600$, for me that’s a expensive upgrade for little gains, although that’s what NA is all about. Big money small performance gains. So yeah to summaries there most certainly are gains to be had in tuning a Gsi b18b engine but expensive and $ per KW gain is very high.

Hope that helps. If you have any further questions feel free to call me or email me.. always happy to help out Honda owners.

Regards James

ProECU
24-08-2005, 10:23 AM
some 1996 ecu's were OBD1.

Got your email Ben, i'll respond when i get a chance

Cheers
Ev