PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! B18C / B16B conversion to a Concerto

hybr33d
19-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi,
juzz thinking of doing a conversion on my concerto 1.6L efi D16Y5z ?

which engine would bolt straight on but i have to add engine mounts which i know .. the question is ..

what would be the best engine choice as i will be turbocharging it after?

how many extra engine mounts do i need welded?

whats the power difference between the engine?

does the B18?'s come with factory LSD?

do i need to change the driveshafts?

do i need to upgrade front disc brakes, but the concerto's have bigger brakes than the EF 88-92 civics?

how much will the engine/loom/ecu/box cost?

or am i better off with a halfcut, also how much?

how much will the conversion cost?

where can i go for the converison or get the engine in QLD Gold coast?

im thinking of going hard out on the internals e.g. pistons, head work, will use a T04 BB turbo .. will this give me plenty of power to blitz those rexys and most turboed cars?

do you think i could to the conversion myself .. i have intermediate knowledge of mechanical and electronic work....???

would VTEC still kick in at the right timing at the same time boost kick in?

my budget is $15grand will that be enuf or am i better off buying another car as fast as this conversion?

its hard to leave the forced vtec feeling as you get the double the pleasure!!! (VTEC & TURBO) =P

your help would be appreciated..

Cheers
M.

hybr33d
19-02-2004, 06:48 PM
cmon fellaz i need some help pls!

alot of views but no replies? hehehe

McChook
19-02-2004, 07:03 PM
get an H22a, Vtec killing turbo cams.
There is no replacement for displacement with a turbo. When you turbo it, buy some JE psitons, low comp (9.0)

hybr33d
19-02-2004, 07:07 PM
get an H22a, Vtec killing turbo cams.
There is no replacement for displacement with a turbo. When you turbo it, buy some JE psitons, low comp (9.0)

thanks buddy
on which engine the h22a? i was told that is very hard to fit and alot of f#$kin around is involved..

i was using 8.5.1 Arias piston on my old conversion honda B16B turboed fitted in the CB Lancer ..

i need more help!!!

McChook
19-02-2004, 07:10 PM
engine out of locally delivered preludes - I have a whole JDM prelude, with a full enigne, and the lot for sale - and the tough as nails gearbox...

The arias are god, but comp is too low IMO - I am of the new skool - but 8.5 is fine, you can run 50lbs of boost if you really want to.

Engine will fit - but - what is the Concerto based on?!?! is it basically the same as a Civic up front?? if it is, ther is a user on here with an H22 in his EK civic, and all civics from EF - EK are basically the same

McChook
19-02-2004, 07:13 PM
EDIT UPDATE

There is an EG civic with a twin turbo H22 in a ZOOM magazine from last year - it was on the front cover of the issue, so would be easy to find - maybe do a search for it on google

hybr33d
20-02-2004, 11:05 AM
sik sik ..

i dont really want to go out to a h22 coz its more than the 1.6L capacity which i have more chances of getting fu#$ed by the 5.0...

and it will cost me more too ...

so i reckon 1.6 or 1.8 vtec is acceptable knowing the fact i need space as well for my turbo conversion...

what do yah think?

McChook
20-02-2004, 11:18 AM
no replacement for displacement... h22, h22 h22, oi oi oi

hybr33d
20-02-2004, 03:28 PM
thanks buddy....

but no one has still replied to all my questions one by one!!!

pls help meeeeeeee ...ma ma ma ma ma =P

all serious response would be appriciated..

cheers!!

McChook
20-02-2004, 03:33 PM
IMO - FWD turbos suck, so go buy a RWD or AWD car and turbo something that was meant to be turbo'd

hybr33d
20-02-2004, 03:45 PM
tru dat ...but front wheelers are quicker than a AWD fron the start if its got lsd .. and depending on the driver too ..

i wanna do sumptin different as i like to be original .. juzz like my prev project ..a "lancer with a honda turbo motor conversion" hot4's called it the "frankenstinish conversion" ..

the reason why i wanna do the conversion.. is because i can buy a $15grand turbo car ... but that car aint going to be as fast as the conversion i will be doing... it will even blitz it by more than 3 car length .. (trust me i know, especially with my top secret conversion lancer)

im still keen on the project, though thanks for you opinions though...

poid
20-02-2004, 03:47 PM
if you dont want the trouble of a h22a then go for the B18, bigger displacement and a better base than the b16 for turbo IMO

hybr33d
20-02-2004, 03:48 PM
thanks poid... whats the power diff between the b16 & b18?

vtec switching diff?

price etc..

McChook
20-02-2004, 03:55 PM
you can bore the B18s to 1934cc
I would also use the non-Vtec B18B - easier to use with a turbo IMO

hybr33d
20-02-2004, 04:04 PM
you can bore the B18s to 1934cc
I would also use the non-Vtec B18B - easier to use with a turbo IMO

tru dat ...but i still want to have the VTEC effect .. juzz like that 1998 civic Cxi converted to a B16B with T04 turbo .. yellow civic thaqt featured in the fast fours magz ..last yr .. with the vtec turbo decals on the side with the black bonnet and c west wing. .. number plate BAL-11W thats my mates car .. and he adv me to go vtec turbo ..

hmmmmm still like the vtec switching ... what else can i do?

Weq
20-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Why you would waste ur money of buying a b16b THEN ripping it apart for a turbo buildup is beyond me. Looks like someone has to much money on their hands.

2ds
20-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi,

which engine would bolt straight on but i have to add engine mounts which i know .. the question is ..

what would be the best engine choice as i will be turbocharging it after?

I'd say the b16's and the b18's are both good, some people here would have different opinions but i seem to rememebr the fastest FWD in aus is a b16a ?

how many extra engine mounts do i need welded?

I have no idea =) you might not have to weld on any engine mounts but you will probably have to buy new ones, $900 or so from memory

b16a = 118kw
b18c(5-7) = 141kw(?) (integra type r motor)
b18c(1-4) = no idea :D

from memory the ITR engines have 10 extra ft/lbs of torque over the b16a's

does the B18?'s come with factory LSD?

on the ITR it does (b18c(5-7))

do i need to change the driveshafts?

no idea but probably.

do i need to upgrade front disc brakes, but the concerto's have bigger brakes than the EF 88-92 civics?

if you are going turbo you will definately have to upgrade the breaks as you will be making so much extra power.

how much will the engine/loom/ecu/box cost?

or am i better off with a halfcut, also how much?

how much will the conversion cost?

probably better off with the halfcut as it will include ecu, loom, etc etc

2-2.5k for a b16a halfcut, when you can find one
5-7k for an b18c(5-7) halfcut, if you can find one
no idea on the b18c(1-4) should be easyish to get one though

expect to pay 1-2k for the conversion

where can i go for the converison or get the engine in QLD Gold coast?

No idea =)

im thinking of going hard out on the internals e.g. pistons, head work, will use a T04 BB turbo .. will this give me plenty of power to blitz those rexys and most turboed cars?

you should probably consider a garret t3/t4 turbo(yes i know the model number isn't correct, ask james to rant about this =)). a stock ITR engine with a turbo should roast a rex. Most b series turbo's i have seen have started at about 8k or so for price. expect to spend alot more if you want to do internals.

do you think i could to the conversion myself .. i have intermediate knowledge of mechanical and electronic work....???

Don't forget all the tools you will need to do this. but if you think you have the knowledge and experience to do it you will save yourself a fair bit of money.

would VTEC still kick in at the right timing at the same time boost kick in?

b16a vtec engages @ 5.5kRPM
from memory a t3/t4 setup should come on full boost about 5krpm
pretty close you could adjust your vtec crossover point if you really wanted to, admittedly it would give you less power but....

my budget is $15grand will that be enuf or am i better off buying another car as fast as this conversion?

engine swap for b16a 4k + turbo setup 8k = 12K
this leaves 3k for suspension/breaks/exhaust

it should be dooable, most of the prices i am quoting are for civic conversions though, there may be extra costs associated with your car. also these prices are all only estimates, do a bit of footwork before you start buying stuff and figure out how much it will cost.

its hard to leave the forced vtec feeling as you get the double the pleasure!!! (VTEC & TURBO) =P

Cheers
M.

I havn't actually done any of the things you are talking about but i have read a fair bit about people who have, i hope this helps.

-2ds

poid
20-02-2004, 06:37 PM
I'd say the b16's and the b18's are both good, some people here would have different opinions but i seem to rememebr the fastest FWD in aus is a b16a ?

Online use a H22A as far as i know in their CRX, not a b16

If you still want a turbo VTEC, then i'd be getting one of the B18's out of a VTi-R integra. Cheaper than a type-R engine, and you're gonna be ripping it apart anyway. More power and torque than a B16A, as well as a larger displacement

oh, and arent Buzz Engines on the Gold Coast? They may be able to help out with the turbo bits

McChook
20-02-2004, 06:37 PM
THOROUGH

hybr33d
20-02-2004, 07:00 PM

b16a = 118kw

what is the b18c in brackets (5-7) ??? or (1-4)??

I havn't actually done any of the things you are talking about but i have read a fair bit about people who have, i hope this helps.

thanks, this performance joint on the Gcoast said that it can be done but he has to order special engine mount kit for the conversion is dat tru? also he said he can do the lot basically drive in and boost out with everything between 10-15k thats everything incl. internals, exhaust, gauges, ECU, blah blah blah .... is that too much? coz my budget is 15k ... or would i get more out of 15k?

hybr33d
20-02-2004, 07:05 PM

If you still want a turbo VTEC, then i'd be getting one of the B18's out of a VTi-R integra. Cheaper than a type-R engine, and you're gonna be ripping it apart anyway. More power and torque than a B16A, as well as a larger displacement

oh, and arent Buzz Engines on the Gold Coast? They may be able to help out with the turbo bits

BUZZ ENGINES? who,where,what? havent heard of them ... but if u know of where abouts they are and some info of what they do and reputation, thatll be great!! =P

2ds
20-02-2004, 10:29 PM

whops maybe i'm thinking vic =)
and maybe it was the fastest crx .... =D

-2ds

2ds
20-02-2004, 10:32 PM

b16a = 118kw

what is the b18c in brackets (5-7) ??? or (1-4)??

thanks, this performance joint on the Gcoast said that it can be done but he has to order special engine mount kit for the conversion is dat tru? also he said he can do the lot basically drive in and boost out with everything between 10-15k thats everything incl. internals, exhaust, gauges, ECU, blah blah blah .... is that too much? coz my budget is 15k ... or would i get more out of 15k?

the b18c engine numbers are in brackets becasue the b18c5, b18c6 and b18c7 are all the same but they have different numbers because they were released in japan, europe and australia respectively

yeah you will need to order engine mounts from the USA. you will allways get more if you don't have to pay for labour but it sounds about right to me.

-2ds

poid
20-02-2004, 11:57 PM
i mentioned Buzz because they stock the range of Precision turbo's and injectors, Tial wastegates, Haltech etc so should be a good source for some bits you need. I know they have built a couple of nice cars (one of the owners has a very nice lancer GSR), but not sure of whether they have played with Hondas.

they are also partners with a mate of mine, so thats how i know of them

Anyway, enough of that...the website is http://www.buzzengines.com/

hybr33d
21-02-2004, 12:03 AM
cools

thats helped me alot ...but i need more info on precautions on turbocharging it ..and maybe 200 shots of laughing gas wouldnt harm it, would it?

poid
21-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Well as fra as precautions go you are on the right track. If you open the engine and replace the pistons and rods that alone would be enough to run a hell of a lot of power. Sleeving is better still, and once you've done this you wont need to worry about the internals. The power the internals are capable of now are more than enough to destroy most street cars.

Since you are looking to do headwork that means you may as well get new valves, springs and retainers. Usually they are OK with boost as long as you arent upping the rev limit or anything, but this will give you added security.

This is for a high hp build up, i mean you can get away with just the pistons and rods in many cases and still run 12 or high 11's IF the tuning is done right. And thats the key, tuning. If tuned well you shouldnt have too many issues, if not well start building that bottom end again!

This goes with nitrous as well, just make sure its tuned and nitrous will be fine. Though i dont really see the need for it myself, the car will be stupidly quick even without it

hybr33d
21-02-2004, 09:45 AM
thanks poid,

what kind of aftermarket ECU do u recommend i should get that will be easy to tune and will suit my conversion... ??

i was thinking of doing a B20B bottom end and have a B16B heads... would that be a better idea? and more power that the B18C?

poid
21-02-2004, 06:23 PM
b16B heads, arent they ridiculously expensive?

B20B bottom end isnt the best for boost as far as i know, but if you're building internals they will be as good as any block.

ECU depends on who you have in mind for tuning, go with what they are most comfortable with. Most ECU's on the market will do an excellent job, its down to the tuner as to how well it'll run the car

Rowie
22-02-2004, 09:47 AM
this might help: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0309ht_swap/

hybr33d
22-02-2004, 09:38 PM
koolz
thanks for the info gellaz,...
but the idea of a H22 vtec is ou of my plans, reason being is i wanna try to keep the power steering and A/C .. (family reasons and hot climate state) ..

so if anyone has or know a site that someone has performed a B18 or B16 conversion ..thatll be good ..

cheers!

DynoDave
22-02-2004, 11:07 PM
hybr33d who did the conversion on the lancer you have, and has Jordon sold his car yet if not get him to ring me as I would like to talk to him.
Regards Dyno Dave

hybr33d
24-02-2004, 12:59 PM
hybr33d who did the conversion on the lancer you have, and has Jordon sold his car yet if not get him to ring me as I would like to talk to him.
Regards Dyno Dave

YOU DID DAVE, heheh Dave from Dynotrack, ... i havent been in touch with jordan coz i lost his number .. also this is not marlon ..i bought the car of marlon about 1.5yrs ago but the lancer is now written off due to a trip from sydney to gold coast (microsleep) but i sold the motor to my other mate and fitted on a EG civic. this is Marvin i saw u before when i had ignition problem on the Accel.

i wanna do another conversion on my honda concerto with a B18 vtec turbo .. can you still do that conversion Dave? let me know!! PM me.. cheers..

hybr33d
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
still need sum help people!!!

BLKCRX
03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
what kinda help ?

Regards James

hybr33d
04-03-2004, 02:43 PM
what kinda help ?

Regards James

in the installation, which ecu to use etc.. how much will it cost?

tinkerbell
09-03-2004, 04:19 PM
McChook is useless, LOL!!!

Hi,

what would be the best engine choice as i will be turbocharging it after? B18B

how many extra engine mounts do i need welded? none.

whats the power difference between the engine? dunno.

does the B18?'s come with factory LSD? only Type R

do i need to change the driveshafts? yes

do i need to upgrade front disc brakes, but the concerto's have bigger brakes than the EF 88-92 civics? **** yes!

how much will the engine/loom/ecu/box cost? several thousand

or am i better off with a halfcut, also how much? yes, couple of thousand

how much will the conversion cost? depends on SOOOO much!

where can i go for the converison or get the engine in QLD Gold coast? dunno

im thinking of going hard out on the internals e.g. pistons, head work, will use a T04 BB turbo .. will this give me plenty of power to blitz those rexys and most turboed cars? yes

do you think i could to the conversion myself .. i have intermediate knowledge of mechanical and electronic work....??? no.

would VTEC still kick in at the right timing at the same time boost kick in? no.

my budget is $15grand will that be enuf or am i better off buying another car as fast as this conversion? budget is good.

Cheers
M.

just go here aned read for a few days and you will have all hte answer plus plenty more questions... http://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=16

hybr33d
16-03-2004, 12:38 AM
sarp fellaz,

still considering some feed backs..

what would be a better choice if i spent 15g's on a R32/R33 or should i stick to my B18c tubo conversion?

would the honda b18c turbo conversion would blitz the mild R32/33???

thats whats stopping me at the moment... i need to make a right choice..

pls help!

:)

McChook
16-03-2004, 12:47 AM
buy a skyline

BLKCRX
16-03-2004, 07:59 AM
spend all your money on turbo'ing your honda ! :)

Turbo honda's built like a rocket RULE !!

Regards James

hybr33d
16-03-2004, 09:52 AM
spend all your money on turbo'ing your honda ! :)
Turbo honda's built like a rocket RULE !!
Regards James

dats tru blkcrx but what if a full modded skyline lines up against me? who would win now? comparing to a full internal work b18c to a 6cyl no internal engine work??

buy a skyline

hmm i know skylines can be modded mildly and they go pretty hard compared to a full internal work honda... e.g. full internal work on both engines b18c & R32/33 ,,,..... now line them up and who would win???

thats what stopping me ...coz my cuz has a r33 and all hes got is full exhaust, filter, B/C and he blitz my mates 555 rexy and a 180sx 2L blacktop....... "i wanna kick his ass"

[[d a n n y]]
16-03-2004, 10:01 AM
sarp fellaz,

still considering some feed backs..

what would be a better choice if i spent 15g's on a R32/R33 or should i stick to my B18c tubo conversion?

would the honda b18c turbo conversion would blitz the mild R32/33???

thats whats stopping me at the moment... i need to make a right choice..

pls help!

:)

a turbo b18c would definately kill a mildly modded up 32/33 if u have decent tyres for grip

i'd say tubo the b18 and have sum fun

Weq
16-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Look at the guys in the states. Running 10-11sec passed on a built b18c turbo in a civic.
Ive got some vids, crazy stuff for street cars. 15g's should be enough if u put do some work urself.

hybr33d
19-03-2004, 12:00 PM
tru .. is the b18c a strong built engine? i mean if i just work on the pistons, rods, crank, injectors, bigger fuel, ecu, turbo, HOW much boost and power could the engine do?

hybr33d
21-09-2005, 08:03 PM
buy a skyline

i did buy an R32 GTST .. heheh but now the concerto is going under construction e.g. engine conversion, some more body work ..etc..