PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] standard wheel size?

Entity
22-08-2005, 07:03 PM
i just rang my insurance company and they said that as long as the width of the wheel doesnt change, any increase in diametre is counted as only an accessory.

so i got a euro standard, the wheels are 16" but i wanted to know the width?

im hoping its 16x7 because i can get 18x7 wheels

but if its 16x6 its gonna be really hard to find 18x6 wheels =/

Ferrarista
22-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Who are you with?

Because your allowed to go wider, i think its only by an inch or so

Entity
22-08-2005, 07:28 PM
my insurance company differentiates between "modification" and "accessory"
at my age im only allowed 1 modification but unlimited accessories

they said that wheels that are standard width is accesssory, if i go wider then its modification

and i want to get it lowered which is a modification, so the only way to have both is to get wheels which are the same width

Ferrarista
22-08-2005, 07:41 PM
my insurance company differentiates between "modification" and "accessory"
at my age im only allowed 1 modification but unlimited accessories

they said that wheels that are standard width is accesssory, if i go wider then its modification

and i want to get it lowered which is a modification, so the only way to have both is to get wheels which are the same width
Im presuming your with AAMI then because so am i.

They said the wheel is an accessory, i told them im going bigger they said 'keep it legal' and its an accessory and the lowering is a modification

Entity
22-08-2005, 07:51 PM
yes but i grinded them with more q's because a friend of mine got screwed over by insurance like this

i suggest u ring them again and ask if going wider still keeps it within the bounds of an 'accessory'

i asked them that and they said wider = modification.

i know rta rules state 1 inch wider and 2 inch taller is legal but best to check with insurance

anyway, do u know the stock size?

yfin
22-08-2005, 07:53 PM
i just rang my insurance company and they said that as long as the width of the wheel doesnt change, any increase in diametre is counted as only an accessory.

so i got a euro standard, the wheels are 16" but i wanted to know the width?

im hoping its 16x7 because i can get 18x7 wheels

but if its 16x6 its gonna be really hard to find 18x6 wheels =/

16x6.5 inch.

Ferrarista
22-08-2005, 07:57 PM
To add to that, the standard accord wheel size is 6.5' wide.

Ive got the regulations right here infront of me and it says that your allowed to go 25mm (1 inch) wider than your largest recomended wheels size hence you can go 7.5 inches wide and keep it legal. If you really want to argue a point you can say that the Euro Lux is 17x7 standard thus you can go up to 8.

And because your car is over 1301kg, your allowed to go 51mm (2 inches) bigger in diameter. Remember, you can also argue the point of the Euro lux being 17's, thus you can theoretically go to 19's if you wanted, but it would have to be a 19x8 but im not to sure on the intreprtation of that rule so to be safe a 18x7.5 should be fine

Ferrarista
22-08-2005, 08:03 PM
yes but i grinded them with more q's because a friend of mine got screwed over by insurance like this

i suggest u ring them again and ask if going wider still keeps it within the bounds of an 'accessory'

i asked them that and they said wider = modification.

i know rta rules state 1 inch wider and 2 inch taller is legal but best to check with insurance

anyway, do u know the stock size?

I just called them and they said what i said, as long as its legal by the RTA then its considered a accessory, i asked the width question about 3 times ( u scared the shit out of me :p ) and she said yes, dont worry if its legalby rta standards we see it as a acc and your lowering is the mod

jl88rl
23-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I never thought of checking with my insurance. Maybe i just dun wanna call and hear bad news...

But after all this, what is the final conclusion?

Tobster
23-08-2005, 01:11 PM
If you really want to argue a point you can say that the Euro Lux is 17x7 standard thus you can go up to 8.
Remember, you can also argue the point of the Euro lux being 17's, thus you can theoretically go to 19's if you wanted, but it would have to be a 19x8 but im not to sure on the intreprtation of that rule so to be safe a 18x7.5 should be fine
The problem with this is that the luxury version (according to a previous thread I remember) actually uses different suspension components to allow for the bigger wheels to start with...

If you have a standard Euro, if they wanted to difficult as insurance companies can be (note: if you do an online quote with AAMI you actually select Euro or Euro Luxury so they know what size wheels it comes with!) they'll work from the fact that you have 16x6.5.

Ferrarista
23-08-2005, 02:38 PM
The problem with this is that the luxury version (according to a previous thread I remember) actually uses different suspension components to allow for the bigger wheels to start with...

If you have a standard Euro, if they wanted to difficult as insurance companies can be (note: if you do an online quote with AAMI you actually select Euro or Euro Luxury so they know what size wheels it comes with!) they'll work from the fact that you have 16x6.5.
Thats what i thought aswell, it makes sense. Thats why its safe to stick to a 18 x 7.5, what company are you with Entity?

Ferrarista
23-08-2005, 02:39 PM
I never thought of checking with my insurance. Maybe i just dun wanna call and hear bad news...

But after all this, what is the final conclusion?
You better check, it could end up costing you alot of money if you dont.

Conclusion? Depends on your insurance company. If they state 'keep it legal' and your fine then 18x7.5 is the biggest you can go legally.

me_kevinly
23-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Trust me, NRMA is worst
basicly they dont let you do annything

Ferrarista
23-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Trust me, NRMA is worst
basicly they dont let you do annything

I had a E36 BMW before the euro and the best i found was GIO. Even though i wa 20 when i bought it they said 'do whatever you want just keep it legal'.

me_kevinly
23-08-2005, 07:41 PM
yeah
but although i drive the car
my family paids for insurance
and they dont let me change,
or else i will change to just car

yfin
23-08-2005, 08:51 PM
I really recommend that if you guys are worried about whether your rims or tyres are legal - speak to a reputable tyre shop before purchasing rims or tyres.

There are published guidelines that reputable tyre shops will have regarding every possible tyre size and rim size combination that is recommended/legal for the Euro.

Ferrarista
24-08-2005, 12:54 AM
I really recommend that if you guys are worried about whether your rims or tyres are legal - speak to a reputable tyre shop before purchasing rims or tyres.

There are published guidelines that reputable tyre shops will have regarding every possible tyre size and rim size combination that is recommended/legal for the Euro.

Might aswell go straight to the law makers themselves :)

jl88rl
24-08-2005, 01:15 AM
I dun know why they are so stern on even the smallest of mods, ie wheels, sound system...

Tobster
25-08-2005, 11:39 AM
It's quite simple from their point of view: wheels and stereos are more likely to be stolen, which they'll have to pay out on. Oversize wheels can also be a safety issue (may come into contact with suspension/steering components) and performance mods mean that you're likely driving the car in a manner which may increase the possibility of an accident...

Considering that males under 25 have a considerably higher accident rate than any other group on the roads, they're probably within their rights...

Entity
17-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Thats what i thought aswell, it makes sense. Thats why its safe to stick to a 18 x 7.5, what company are you with Entity?

i am with AAMI.. please understand the difference in what i am saying lol

i am not disputing whether 18x7.5 is 'legal', i agree it is legal...

what im worried about is what my insurance classifies it..

if you said you rang them and they said that 1" wider is still accessory then i am very confused because i was told differently by a girl who sounded like she had answered the question before (very firm on response)

i am hoping 1" wider is still accessory so i can get some suspension and still be within the bounds of my policy.. because finding 18X6.5 is going to be a pain in the ass... especially with the right offset.

i will ring them again and get back to you haha, thanks for helping guys :)

Ferrarista
18-09-2005, 02:30 AM
i am with AAMI.. please understand the difference in what i am saying lol

i am not disputing whether 18x7.5 is 'legal', i agree it is legal...

what im worried about is what my insurance classifies it..

if you said you rang them and they said that 1" wider is still accessory then i am very confused because i was told differently by a girl who sounded like she had answered the question before (very firm on response)

i am hoping 1" wider is still accessory so i can get some suspension and still be within the bounds of my policy.. because finding 18X6.5 is going to be a pain in the ass... especially with the right offset.

i will ring them again and get back to you haha, thanks for helping guys :)

I made sure i asked 3 times :p with 3 different people and got the same answer 3 times :D

If you get it again, ask for the persons name