PDA

View Full Version : car with funny burnt smell

kramcivic
22-08-2005, 07:17 PM
got a serious problem, wen i start the car and take off my car starts smellin like as if something got burnt, its not coming from the vents.... i think its from the exhaust....? can anyone help me, its not the engine....
cheers

|N|
22-08-2005, 07:26 PM
have u had ur service yet?>

CRXY01
22-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Have you done any work to your car recently??
Can you be a little more specific about the details??

kramcivic
22-08-2005, 07:32 PM
im kinda late for the service of short on time...but wen i vtec it smells really bad... suficating bad... i had a sniff around, it smells like its coming from the handbrake area...

zoopsta
22-08-2005, 07:36 PM
sorry for sort of hi-jacking, but i sort of have this smell problem too.

everytime, after a drive, either my mum, g/f or bro get out, they can smell some sort of burning smell.

i really cant smell that much, what the hell could it be?

i used to be able to smell burning plastic coz a freaking plastic bag caught onto my exhaust and started melting away :(

do brakes or clutch smell like its burning when they're wearing out?

kramcivic
22-08-2005, 07:40 PM
i dun thinks its my clutch....its definately coming from handbrake area

spothe
22-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Well for me i had an accident with my car and i had a burnt sort of smell coming from the handbrake, it kinda smelt like tyre too.

the mechanic then told me when it crashed, some power steering fluid may have leaked onto the engine and is burning up thats all, he said there was no harm but it would take hell long for it to go away, 6 months past now and its gone. dunno about you though

_Daniel
23-08-2005, 06:27 AM
not sure if this'll help but seeing as my thread in the integra section got locked I'll just post here.

I had something similar on my car and after a while it simply went away.
if you're really worried just take it to a mechanic to get it checked out.

viperx
23-08-2005, 11:53 AM
i dun thinks its my clutch....its definately coming from handbrake area

just cuz its coming from the handbrake area doesn't mean it cant' be coming from the clutch. if it gets worse when you start car, I'd put money on clutch. theres nothing near the handbrake off the top of my head which could grind when you start the car. Does you car feel less powerful than before, and when you jab the accelerator does it not lurch like it used to?

i don't think its oil/fluid dripped on exhaust manifold, if it is it usually isn't there when you start car, only there after you've finished your drive (manifold heated up)
Unlikely to be exhaust if you say it's worst inside the car, unless you got exhaust leak. therefore its unlikely to be piston rings etc. do you get crappy black smoke out of black pipe esp if you have been idling some time and then blip the throttle?

kramcivic
24-08-2005, 07:19 PM
the car perfomance is still the same, my clucth is not slipping yet...its getting checked out soon, im really paranoid

insouciant
26-08-2005, 04:41 PM
ran over any plastic bags lately? things get hot under your car and if a plastic shopping bag attaches itself to the bottom then you'll have it burning and smelling for a while

PaZzMaN-R
29-08-2005, 02:14 PM
same thing happpend to me. have you guys thought of checking the oil. that was my problem i was running very low on oil.i never realised how much vtec chews the oil:)

Civic Type R
29-08-2005, 03:06 PM
have you checked to see if a big snake has cuddled up to your engine ?

PaZzMaN-R
29-08-2005, 04:48 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! what about if you neighbours cat it missing

kramcivic
30-08-2005, 12:42 AM
i got the car service...now the smell is gone...lol...mite be just the oil...