PDA

View Full Version : my car burns oil

ah789454
19-02-2004, 06:44 PM
my car uses oil. what could it be? i had i service done on the car two months ago and i checkd to oil and it was slowly going down.

McChook
19-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Sump leak

ah789454
19-02-2004, 06:51 PM
dont thinks its a sump leak cos that mean my driveway would be covered in oil. my mate said when i deck the car black smoke comes out when im changing gears.

McChook
19-02-2004, 06:53 PM
head gasket??

bennjamin
19-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Here is your problem - when you drive a car with the k's rolled back...you dont actually know that its becoz ur car has about 302,000km's . . . when it only reads 24,000.

Oh , BTW - if ur car is burning oil , then it would blow out WHITE smoke.
Blowing out black/dark smoke is normal under heavy load, as the engine runs richer up high and so pollutes abit more.
Oil could be leaking into somewhere...into other parts of your car - get a physical person to look at ur car ( IE a mechanic)

ginganggooly
19-02-2004, 07:00 PM
actually... i believe white smoke is more indicative of there being water in the combustion chamber. like what a busted head gasket would do ;)

burning oil tends to be smelly blue smoke.

how many k's on the car?

McChook
19-02-2004, 07:02 PM
actually... i believe white smoke is more indicative of there being water in the combustion chamber. like what a busted head gasket would do ;)

Thats the one - I had the same problem with my old car - head gasket with water and a leaky bitch sump

bennjamin
19-02-2004, 07:02 PM
the man has a point - im thinking of a "off whitish white" colour like my old zuke gti did....drank oil like it was...erm...Crowne lager :P

Either way - get a professional to check all ur fluids, all major points for leaks etc.

McChook
19-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Take it to an Ultra Tune

vti-2
19-02-2004, 07:04 PM
dont thinks its a sump leak cos that mean my driveway would be covered in oil. my mate said when i deck the car black smoke comes out when im changing gears.

If your driveway is clean your head gasket (as suggested) is on the way out (already has a crack) or you are burning oil at a slow rate.

Is the smoke thick when you drive hard? Does it blow smoke when you drive normally? You sure it's black?

4PERVZ
19-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Wat kind of car is it?? my car does the same, only wen i push it hard n change gears! (only in vtec) Its because my car is running rich (I run the car rich for a reason)! i've had my mechanic look at the car and he said there is no oil leaks if there were oil leaks it would blow blue smoke! if u fine tune it, it shouldnt smoke!

ah789454
19-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Here is your problem - when you drive a car with the k's rolled back...you dont actually know that its becoz ur car has about 302,000km's . . . when it only reads 24,000.

what this about ben. i didnt roll my clock back.

my car has done 100k

its just a puff of that blue smoke the other boys where toking bout.

i spoke to my mechanic he said you will lose oil if youre given it a hard time. but i'll ask him about the head gasket? thanks boys

azjs
19-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Cam seals are a known issue... 100K I would imagine it would be due for a change...

-az

ATSE
19-02-2004, 08:47 PM
White Smoke is coolant = (Leaking Headgasket)
Blue Smoke is oil = (Rings)
Black smoke is running rich

Your rings might be wearing, and your encountering blowby, where the oil is pressing past your pistons. check your pcv valve. Done compression check?
And yes you'll find hard driving will burn more oil...
Ppl at the track overfill a bit so that the engine won't starve of oil when doing a hard corner, and also to compensate the burning of it.

Boost
20-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Talking about over filling! hahhahah. i was filling up the oil while talking to a friend and lost track of how much oil i was pouring in. Firstly it had a hard time starting up... then when it did.. boy was there heaps of smoke, not to mention a loss in power.. the car pretty much wouldnt even more on accelerate. It was bogged.

Setanta
20-02-2004, 02:29 PM
White Smoke is coolant = (Leaking Headgasket)
Blue Smoke is oil = (Rings)
Black smoke is running rich

You beat me to it after reading Ben's post :P

Valves or rings are the most suspect, followed by crank seals (dripping oil not burning it) or headgasket.

-MuGen PoWer-
20-02-2004, 03:28 PM
im not realli good with this :|
but what does running rich and lean mean??

McChook
20-02-2004, 03:32 PM
rich - lots of extra fuel
lean - less fuel, sometimes not enough