PDA

View Full Version : tyres rubbing on guards

raff
19-02-2004, 08:15 PM
hi!
i just got a set of 17" rims with tyres 215/45 for my EG Hatch but coz my car is slammed..like pretty low the tyres rub against the back guards pretty badly over a bump!!!

i have already rolled the guards a fair bit....what else can i do do stop the rubbing!

i know i can get thinner tyres like 205s but tyres cost abit and i got brand new tyres on these rims

is it possible to adjust my camber to make a bigger angle and hopefully not rub against the guard????

what else can i do???? help............

McChook
19-02-2004, 08:20 PM
have you removed the shotgun panels from the guards? That's the p[lastic bits that go inside and across the guards

vti-2
19-02-2004, 08:23 PM
i have already rolled the guards a fair bit....what else can i do do stop the rubbing!

is it possible to adjust my camber to make a bigger angle and hopefully not rub against the guard????

what else can i do???? help............

Yes you can adjust camber but your tyres will get owned and you will end up replacing them every 6 months!

You could always raise the car a bit. Have you considered that? Also, how slammed is it??? Sounds like it's at least a 4inch drop.

raff
19-02-2004, 08:41 PM
i dunno!!

i took this sorta rubber thing off

where r the shotgun panels located??

like underneath the guard???

can u see them easy?

fusion_VTi
19-02-2004, 08:47 PM
i think he's referiing to the little pieces of plastic srewed above the front guards, however it might be the little peices of rubber on your rear guards to stop the rubbing and stone chips. Simply pull them off if the're still there and that should give you a few mm each side which may stop the rubbing...cheers

raff
19-02-2004, 08:55 PM
it been lowered heaps!!!!
put it this way it got 17s and it the guard sits pretty much jus over the tyres.......

can i get stiff as rear springs??????

vti-2
19-02-2004, 09:06 PM
How fast/hard are you hitting those bumps?

raff
19-02-2004, 09:16 PM
the bumps prolly 60 ks

my suspension is soft as.............

what should i do seriesly???

adjust camber?? thinner tyres?? stiffer suspension??

madgrk
19-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Slow down! 60 k's over speed bumps? Far out

vti-2
19-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Tell us exactly what you have at the moment. What is your setup EXACTLY?

Like:
1. What springs/shocks you using?
2. How much of a drop?
3. You using camber/caster kit?

Just one piece of advice, try not to hit bumps at high speed cause it's not just your guards that are being punished. You are putting stress on bump stops, the actually suspension system, your front/rear struts, and essentially giving your control arms a brutal bashing (at low ride height).

Be very careful when lowering a car, cause it may look good but if you don't adjust your driving style you will end up destroying your suspension system and it will cost you a shit load. If you have to replace things like the rear lower control arm bushes etc you will see what i mean. If you have one bush that is split at the rear, that alone can cost over $100 to buy from Honda, then you have to get someone to fit it, and labour usually costs double.

Hope that helps you out.

poid
19-02-2004, 09:28 PM
sounds like you need stiffer springs, you cant deck a car using soft springs you'll destroy the suspension

vti-2
19-02-2004, 09:31 PM
sounds like you need stiffer springs, you cant deck a car using soft springs you'll destroy the suspension

No shit! lol, and you need to avoid pot holes and slow down for those speed bumps!

Sounds like your destroying your poor suspension. I hope your rims aren't buckled. :?

raff
19-02-2004, 09:47 PM
im not sure with the set up.......i think the springs r chopped dodgy i know...but the springs look normal color and r bouncy as!!!

what should i do???

vti-2
19-02-2004, 09:52 PM
im not sure with the set up.......i think the springs r chopped dodgy i know...but the springs look normal color and r bouncy as!!!

what should i do???

If the springs are chopped get rid of them asap! Firstly for your own safety and secondly to prevent any other components from being damaged further.

Chopped springs are the worst thing you could possibly do. Read my post above, and that is the sort of damage you are risking on a higher level than if you were to have aftermarket lowered springs.

raff
19-02-2004, 10:03 PM
do u recken that y it rubs????/ coz the springs r fukt?

would king springs superlows b too low???

civicboy
19-02-2004, 10:07 PM
i used to have a 17' im my eg hatch.....low round 3 inch all round; wat they did was they got rid of my rear mud guard (the guard inner the fender) then rolled in my fender so there's space

raff
19-02-2004, 10:13 PM
yeh kool!!!

is there sumthin under the guard i can get rid of??

civicboy
19-02-2004, 10:15 PM
uhhm not that i know off....d guy dat lowered my ride did the whole thing, & i ddnt get 2 see him 2 it

raff
19-02-2004, 10:51 PM
ah ok sick..
did it rub at all?

did it sit low?

civicboy
19-02-2004, 11:54 PM
no it doesnt rub @ all :)

yeap it looks perfect m8...

how low is ur ride now? or how much low did u want?

s2k
20-02-2004, 12:08 AM
correct me if im wrong guys but shouldnt he be using 40 series and not 45 on his 17s for the civic?

vti-2
20-02-2004, 10:00 AM
do u recken that y it rubs????/ coz the springs r fukt?

would king springs superlows b too low???

I had superlows on my Integra and at one stage had 18's fitted (this is with stock shocks) and i had no problems with rubbing with no one in the car. I only had problems once i had people in the car, but that was cause i never got around to rolling the guards.

So... if you are having these problems with 17's your car is really dumped. Those chopped springs are no good. Get rid of them and get decent springs and upgrade the shocks while you are at it. :)